TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old May 15 2012, 10:39 AM   #3511
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
(NOTE: 2 seconds of the original film elements for the episode "We'll Always Have Paris" have not been located and thus have been upconverted from Standard Definition videotape)
So, only 2 seconds out of the entire season one (which is 19 hours, 43 minutes long). That's pretty good. Course, I wish it was zero!
Blink and you'd miss it. I gave up being a perfectionist long ago.

Play is now listing season 1 at £50.99 on preorder - cheaper than Amazon.
Old May 15 2012, 11:23 AM   #3512
Tosk
Rear Admiral

So what happens if they find the missing footage while they're working on season 6 or 7? Two seconds is no big deal, but y'can be sure we're gonna get more missing footage as we go on.

If these are for posterity, they should re-release later if the footage is found. Yeah, I know...I'm a dreamer.
Old May 15 2012, 12:05 PM   #3513
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

I doubt they'll re-release them. These will be the new masters, flaws and all, forever more (or until they need a new 4k print).

Two seconds, though. Wow, I doubt anyone will even notice. I wonder what it is. Does somebody with more time than sense want to scan through the episode on DVD and look for shots that last two seconds? There can't be that many!
Old May 15 2012, 12:42 PM   #3514
Admiral Bear
Captain

I can live with two seconds if and when I ever buy the set, but I suppose if they ever find the lost footage, they could always issue a replacement disc or sell the disc on it's own at minimal cost as they did with the teaser.
Old May 15 2012, 01:44 PM   #3515
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
Two seconds, though. Wow, I doubt anyone will even notice. I wonder what it is. Does somebody with more time than sense want to scan through the episode on DVD and look for shots that last two seconds? There can't be that many!
Two seconds is pretty quick for an average shot in TNG. I would say look for an action scene in the episode... I guess that would be when Data is dodging and firing back at the laser security system in Manheim's lab.

Of course it could also be a quick insert during a talking scene too.

EDITED TO ADD:

This shot here is just over 2 seconds:

Could be anything, really!

Last edited by Maxwell Everett; May 15 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old May 15 2012, 01:57 PM   #3516
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

RAMA wrote: View Post
Wow 600 theater theatrical release!! Sweet!!

RAMA
All in the U.S. though!

Why am I not moving to NYC a few weeks earlier?
Old May 15 2012, 02:06 PM   #3517
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Wow 600 theater theatrical release!! Sweet!!

RAMA
All in the U.S. though!

Why am I not moving to NYC a few weeks earlier?
I don't think you'd be missing much. It's probably one of those terrible Fathom events where they use the dim, uncalibrated, consumer-grade projector that displays ads before feature films.
Old May 15 2012, 02:16 PM   #3518
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

I doubt they'll re-release them. These will be the new masters, flaws and all, forever more (or until they need a new 4k print).

I would guess the 2 seconds will be updated when the syndication/streaming rights are sold. But you're right, I doubt they will release a new Blu Ray set. The only chance of a correction is if they release a complete series set.
Old May 15 2012, 02:18 PM   #3519
groundhog
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
(NOTE: 2 seconds of the original film elements for the episode "We'll Always Have Paris" have not been located and thus have been upconverted from Standard Definition videotape)
So, only 2 seconds out of the entire season one (which is 19 hours, 43 minutes long). That's pretty good. Course, I wish it was zero!
Still, you want these to be archival-quality. Not a deal-breaker (still eagerly awaiting the preorder, where is it??), but not happy news.
Old May 15 2012, 04:17 PM   #3520
Jefferies
Captain

groundhog wrote: View Post
Still, you want these to be archival-quality. Not a deal-breaker (still eagerly awaiting the preorder, where is it??), but not happy news.
Oh get a grip on yourself! This is less than 0.003%. That is such a minute imperfection I'm sure no one would have ever noticed if they hadn't publicised it themselves. Which to me means one of two things. Either they are bragging over this amazing feat or CBS is the most honest enterprise in the history of media (which I doubt).
Old May 15 2012, 04:31 PM   #3521
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

^I'm positive someone would have noticed the 2 seconds of upconverted material. This is trekkies we're talking about after all!
Old May 15 2012, 04:57 PM   #3522
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Jefferies wrote: View Post
Which to me means one of two things. Either they are bragging over this amazing feat or CBS is the most honest enterprise in the history of media (which I doubt).
Or (c) they're trying to stave off a "you lied this isn't HD" lawsuit at the head.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old May 15 2012, 06:03 PM   #3523
MacLeod
Admiral

AviTrek wrote: View Post

I would guess the 2 seconds will be updated when the syndication/streaming rights are sold. But you're right, I doubt they will release a new Blu Ray set. The only chance of a correction is if they release a complete series set.
I think it likely they'll release a complete set at the end. Though I might wait for it simply out of cost as I think a full set would be cheaper than 7 individual releases.

So as you say missing footage could be found by the time that rolls around and they can put it back in. Theymight add more bonus features.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old May 15 2012, 06:25 PM   #3524
davejames
Vice Admiral

Glad to see they're including the Mission Logs from the original DVDs. Those were really thorough and well done (especially with all the original interviews), and for those like me who only ever bought a couple DVD sets, it'll be cool to be able to finally see the rest.
Old May 15 2012, 06:49 PM   #3525
zephramc
Commodore

Lance wrote: View Post
I haven't upgraded to Blu-Ray yet, but having recently rewatched TNG season one I have to admit that this is really hooking me in. It could be the 'killer app' that finally makes me upgrade. One of the big problems with TNG in its early seasons is that it looks awful. Far worse than even TOS. It lacks definition, the focus is always so soft. I seen it described on another forum as being "shot in murk-o-vision", and that isn't far from the truth. The couple of shots / footage I've seen online of the remastered "Encounter At Farpoint" have however really got me salivating for this. For really the first time ever, TNG's early seasons are going to look absolutely gorgeous!

As for issues regarding the first season as a whole, I still love it for the most part. As Jonathan Frakes once said, there's a real drive to it, a freshness that only comes at the beginning of a television show. There's the feeling that they're still prodding at the format to see where it will go, but with that comes the genuine feeling of them taking risks with things. Some of those risks didn't pay off, but when they did they were sublime. Episodes like "1001001" or "The Arsenal Of Freedom" can easily hold themselves up there with the best of Star Trek, in my opinion.
I always felt the same regarding the visuals in TNG. I'd purchased the TNG S1 DVDs and wasn't really impressed. In fact S1 was the only season I bought as I couldn't justify spending a bunch of money on DVDs that didn't really add anything to what I can watch on the various rebroadcasts of the show.

Well, I bought a bluray player and the TNG-HD sampler a couple of weeks ago and was blown away. Just the intro itself was spectacular. The blue and purple "star clouds" in the first couple of seconds look like something the Hubble telescope captured. The comet and the forming solar system. All of the planets are sooooo detailed. You see all the mountains and lava pools on Saturn. It's really cool. Plus the fixes they made to EaF, such as the Enterprise shooting the energy beam out of the phaser array and not the captains yacht.

I'm really looking forward to the S1 (and 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7) bluray releases.
Closed Thread