MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old September 26 2011, 04:45 AM   #301
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R discussion thread!

RAMA wrote: View Post
Sho wrote: View Post
For me it's really the sets. That bridge really is timeless. Every time I see it, suspension of disbelief kicks in and I buy the place.

Of course the "attitude...the "feel" of the show differs...that's one of the things I "buy" about ST and STNG in particular...Battlestar Galactica(2000s) never made an attempt to make it feel like a real future...a time in which accelerated technological and social changes felt tangible.

Possible STNG-R announcement: Sept 28th. 3 days and counting...
The 28th is also the rumored day of the Amazon tablet launch. I hope TNG-R doesn't get overshadowed by the Amazon announcement. Or maybe they will be announced together and TNG-R will be launch content for the tablet.

Sho wrote: View Post
If they're redoing the space shots in CG, I wonder if they're going to use Gabe Koerner's mesh from TATV as the basis, given that the 6ft shooting miniature was auctioned off and is presumably now unavailable as reference material. IIRC Koerner's mesh was based on new photographs made of the miniature.
I forget where I read it, but I seem to remember reading that the CGI model was lost for some reason.
Old September 26 2011, 05:10 AM   #302
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
If colouring B & W can be done so that it doesn't look fake (this is the clincher) so be it !
When colorization was a fad in the 80ís, it didnít look realistic, but weíre talking about digital manipulation of video and that technology has come a hell of a long way, to say the least. If there were enough of a market for it to provide financial incentive for someone to get serious about improving colorization technology, I bet that very realistic-looking colorization could be achieved.
Old September 26 2011, 03:16 PM   #303
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

captrek wrote: View Post
Itís also worth noting that the difference between extant TNG and remastered TNG should be much greater than the difference between SD and HD, because extant TNG isnít even a good image by SD standards.
This, definitely!

The DVDs are not easy-on-the-eye at all. Even the later seasons have poor contrast and dull colours.

TNG in HD is going to look mind-blowingly good. I can hardly wait to even see some screenshots, never mind full episodes!
Old September 26 2011, 04:57 PM   #304
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

^Same here. The waiting is killing me! It's almost the same feeling I had waiting for TNG to finally premiere back in '87.
Old September 26 2011, 05:03 PM   #305
RAMA
Vice Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
^Same here. The waiting is killing me! It's almost the same feeling I had waiting for TNG to finally premiere back in '87.

I kind of like STNG anticipation! Like TOS, the reruns sometimes get too familiar...though I always like going back and watching them in phases. I look forward to the "newness" of the STNG-R discs.

RAMA
Old September 26 2011, 05:08 PM   #306
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

I'm a little disappointing on how Trekmovie is handling this. There's little to no information. Maybe it's because there's not much to report but...come on...update! They still have TOS remastered and the '09 movie tabs up there.
Old September 26 2011, 05:09 PM   #307
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

TheSeeker wrote: View Post

I kind of like STNG anticipation! Like TOS, the reruns sometimes get too familiar...though I always like going back and watching them in phases. I look forward to the "newness" of the STNG-R discs.

RAMA

Me too. I haven't watch an episode of TNG in years. I'm looking forward to rediscovering the series.
Old September 26 2011, 05:11 PM   #308
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Squiggy wrote: View Post
I'm a little disappointing on how Trekmovie is handling this. There's little to no information. Maybe it's because there's not much to report but...come on...update! They still have TOS remastered and the '09 movie tabs up there.
It almost seems as if the technology sites are more interested than the ST news sites! You can find thread after thread on DVD forums talking about it.
Old September 26 2011, 05:18 PM   #309
MacLeod
Admiral

Tomalak wrote: View Post
I caught 'Manhunt' last week. My friend and I immediately remarked how 80s it was. That's inevitable really, programmes look their age. Already something like 24 is looking curiously early-2000s. But anything you can do to remove potential barriers - such as presenting in 16:9 and HD - probably won't hurt.
Why do people say that?? Except for a few odds and ends scattered through the early years, the show has such a different setting that I feel it's almost timeless, much more so than the 60s era TOS. I think this is borne out through the poll I posted from the ST.com site where the majority of fans thought STNG aged the best of all ST series.

RAMA
You have to take polls with a grain of salt, espically online polls as people have made a conscious decision to vote, rather than being asked in the street by a pollister. Also TNG was the more popular of the recent ST shows, so a larger audiance can skew the result.

And if you're watching it on a HD TV, is it a LCD, Plasma or LED, as each has advantages, I've watched some of the recent Trek shows on my LED TV, and some of the TNG episodes don't look that great.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old September 26 2011, 05:20 PM   #310
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
captrek wrote: View Post
Itís also worth noting that the difference between extant TNG and remastered TNG should be much greater than the difference between SD and HD, because extant TNG isnít even a good image by SD standards.
This, definitely!

The DVDs are not easy-on-the-eye at all. Even the later seasons have poor contrast and dull colours.

TNG in HD is going to look mind-blowingly good. I can hardly wait to even see some screenshots, never mind full episodes!
When I bought my Blu ray player and HDTV one of the first things I did was tryout my TNG DVD's to see how they looked.

My heart sank.
Old September 26 2011, 05:32 PM   #311
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

MacLeod wrote: View Post
I caught 'Manhunt' last week. My friend and I immediately remarked how 80s it was. That's inevitable really, programmes look their age. Already something like 24 is looking curiously early-2000s. But anything you can do to remove potential barriers - such as presenting in 16:9 and HD - probably won't hurt.
Why do people say that?? Except for a few odds and ends scattered through the early years, the show has such a different setting that I feel it's almost timeless, much more so than the 60s era TOS. I think this is borne out through the poll I posted from the ST.com site where the majority of fans thought STNG aged the best of all ST series.

RAMA
You have to take polls with a grain of salt, espically online polls as people have made a conscious decision to vote, rather than being asked in the street by a pollister. Also TNG was the more popular of the recent ST shows, so a larger audiance can skew the result.

And if you're watching it on a HD TV, is it a LCD, Plasma or LED, as each has advantages, I've watched some of the recent Trek shows on my LED TV, and some of the TNG episodes don't look that great.
I think the point is that some people are saying that it looks like the 80s, not that it doesn't look good in HD.
Old September 26 2011, 07:38 PM   #312
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

RAMA
Hair styling mainly, and makeup, costume, sets to some extent.
Old September 26 2011, 07:48 PM   #313
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

^The Romulans especially suffer from being stuck in the 80s.
Old September 26 2011, 08:12 PM   #314
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Squiggy wrote: View Post
It almost seems as if the technology sites are more interested than the ST news sites! You can find thread after thread on DVD forums talking about it.
I almost think TrekMovie was given an inside scoop/blu ray preview, and they're sitting on stories until the official announcement in exchange for the early information.

MacLeod wrote: View Post

RAMA

Sorry, there is no such thing as an LED TV. The closest would be an OLED TV, which I'm 99% sure you don't have. What you have is an LED back lit LCD. And even that can vary between side lit and a grid with local dimming. But in the end, the are all still LCD variants. The only thing that changed is the light source.
Old September 26 2011, 08:19 PM   #315
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Jon1701 wrote: View Post
When I bought my Blu ray player and HDTV one of the first things I did was tryout my TNG DVD's to see how they looked.

My heart sank.
I’ll tell you a trick for getting an image that doesn’t look like crap.

When TNG came out on Netflix one of the first things I did was try it out on my iPad. It looked fine.
Closed Thread