Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old February 7 2012, 06:14 AM   #3001
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

JJohnson wrote: View Post
THIS IS THE SHOT. The warp stars are OFF-ANGLE. I sincerely hope they fix that. This one shot irritates me every time it's shown. It's like the original Enterprise flying straight ahead into the screen at a 3/4 perspective...every week it did that. It looks bad.
To be honest, it's been that way for so long I think I'd just be distracted seeing the stars coming from a radically different angle now.
Old February 7 2012, 06:43 AM   #3002
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R - Stargazer redesign?

mswood wrote: View Post
God how I loathe that shot. I hate that flyby of the Enterprise (it's probably my most disliked shot of the full series), and the first season used it all the time, had in more ships and its still absolutely terrible.
Yeah, that was definitely one of the more boring ship shots in all of TNG.

The only time I think it was used effectively was at the end of Conspiracy, where we see the ship slowly moving past a nebula in the background as that homing beacon echoes in the distance. Somehow that was creepy as all hell, and felt like just the most perfect way to end that episode.

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...spiracy271.jpg
Old February 7 2012, 07:40 AM   #3003
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R - Stargazer redesign?

JJohnson wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

Let's don't...

Just because we recognize the shell as not being a state of the art design doesn't mean she wasn't state of the art for 2350 under the hood.

Plus, it'd be problematic as you'd still have the Stargazer model in Picard's Ready Room.
The only change I'd like to see with the Stargazer (and that other Constellation ship in Elementary, Dear Data) is to have it shrunken way the hell down. Considering the scale of the saucer, nacelles, and windows on that model, it appears WAY too massive in size compared to the Enterprise-D:

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu.../battle162.jpg
Yes, please rescale this ship and all other ships to the correct size when actually sending out the season sets. The Constitution-class saucer and nacelles should not be that huge in comparison to the Enterprise-D, and a lot of other ships (Excelsiors, Birds of Prey, etc.) as well.
My one big complaint, and one big wish was the fixing of ship scaling, I hope they can manage to do it.

RAMA
Old February 7 2012, 07:41 AM   #3004
RAMA
Vice Admiral

And then there's this hilarious shot, where the Ent-D appears almost microscopic compared to how the refit measured up in TWOK.

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...eofaman025.jpg
Nope, that was intentional. They upped the base size so it would be considered a starbase. Personally I would prefer a new CGI model, but the CGI knee jerkers would have a fit.

RAMA
Old February 7 2012, 07:46 AM   #3005
RAMA
Vice Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Ok, you can call off the dogs. My disc was in the mail when I got home!

I still have to wait until tomorrow to watch it though.
See it yet??
Yep! My buddy and I watched all three episodes on Friday night. Loved it! Can't wait for the first season to come out!

This is really a great time for Trek in general and only getting better.

RAMA
Old February 7 2012, 09:42 AM   #3006
davejames
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
And then there's this hilarious shot, where the Ent-D appears almost microscopic compared to how the refit measured up in TWOK.

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...eofaman025.jpg
Nope, that was intentional. They upped the base size so it would be considered a starbase. Personally I would prefer a new CGI model, but the CGI knee jerkers would have a fit.

RAMA
I'd be okay with using the same basic design, if they could just add a lot more detail to the thing. Because at that immense scale, the existing model just doesn't work.
Old February 7 2012, 10:48 AM   #3007
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Captain Fine wrote: View Post
I'd like to see the ships rescaled too.

But it doesn't look like they're doing that based on the Ent-D with the Hood shot.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that shot filmed in a single pass? Without the separate elements, rescaling just one ship would have been impossible. Not a problem for other shots that are comped together separately.

EDIT: Do correct me, I probably am wrong. It's unlikely the ships would have been the correct relative size to film in one pass anyway. Just a thought, though.
Old February 7 2012, 11:05 AM   #3008
Tosk
Rear Admiral

They were filmed separately. They don't film elements together like that...and if proof is needed, I'd point you to the numerous times they used that same Ent-D footage without the Excelsior.

That said, I really doubt there will be any resizing. If there is, it'll be subtle. (Such as the several shots of the 'Farpoint' ship on the viewscreen, where it was repositioned and had the hull lighting effects re-timed.)
Old February 7 2012, 11:09 AM   #3009
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Mark 2000 wrote: View Post
I'm also starting to think that that's not a matte painting in Sins or EAF of the E at least as it matches up almost identically with the original model shot in EAF: http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...point1_110.jpg

There are some extra lit windows and some windows missing on the neck, but otherwise it's pretty much the same. Perhaps they just tweaked the model shot digitally. It seems like they lit a few more windows digitally in the close up of the neck locks in the separation sequence as well.
I think slightly tweaking the miniature digitally is too unlikely an explanation. There are other detail mismatches too:

You're right about the added windows in the separation sequence. But I think it's perhaps due to the window light pass being slightly misaligned in the original composite by ILM, causing the windows furthest from the camera to appear as if they were unlit:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/106678
Maybe I'm missing something, but these two shots are different shots. On the right you can see the upper side of the secondary hull, which is not visible at all in the image to the left.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old February 7 2012, 12:53 PM   #3010
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

When did the TNG-R project start?

I just came across this yesterday about TNG-R from someone in the film/TV industry:

I believe the restoration work is being done at CBS TV City, in a Lustre room run by the Viacom guys. We had bid on this project when I was at Technicolor a few years ago, and I worked on a 10-minute scene as a demo. The 24-year-old negative held up extremely well, as did the Nagra tapes. The stuff looked and sounded like it was shot five years ago
-Marc Wielage
http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/t...915#entry99915

So that means 2009. The same year that the TOS-R blu-rays were released along with a successful reboot of the franchise with a feature film. The CBS home video executives were thinking a few years ahead for product on this property.
This has me thinking more about not just the TNG-R but also DS9 going the same route immediately after they are complete with all the seasons of TNG. the other reason is Blu-ray sales of physical discs is limited before physical disc sales will fall off and be replaced with downloads by the majority of the home video consumers in 5-10 years.
How cool that CBS bid out a few companies with say 10 minutes of film to telecine and remaster to try out companies and get bids on this massive project. Companies like technicolor do restorations of old catalog feature films all the time. The VFX creation nature of this though needed a large group of post people committed for about 4 years.
Old February 7 2012, 01:15 PM   #3011
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I continue to find the estimates regarding 'the death of physical media' to be questionable.

Remember the paperless office?

Exactly.
Old February 7 2012, 01:40 PM   #3012
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Yes, I'm very sceptical when it comes to physical media being completely phased out within five to ten years.

As to the ship scaling, there are clear examples of bad scaling like with the starbases but the other shots fall a little more into a grey area IMO. That shot of the Stargazer and the E-D could very well have the Stargazer in the foreground making it seem like it's bigger than it actually is. That's how I've always viewed it anyway.

The starbase scale errors are pretty hard to ignore though. I picked up on them right away on first run when I was just 15.
Old February 7 2012, 03:10 PM   #3013
DostoyevskyClone
Captain

What we have to look forward to in season one...

'Code of Honor'

'The Last Outpost'

What color is that uniform? Fuschia and wine?

I was just going through a few screencaps to remind myself of what the effects shots were and how different the colors were in that first season. I was so impressed with how new the show felt with EaF remastered. From the color standpoint, the episodes are going to seem so fresh with the Blu-ray release. Any speculation on what the month of release might be?
"Life is islands of ecstasy in an ocean of ennui, and after the age of thirty land is seldom seen. At best we wander from one much-worn sandbar to the next, soon familiar with each grain of sand we see..."

The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart
Old February 7 2012, 03:14 PM   #3014
Tosk
Rear Admiral

DostoyevskyClone wrote: View Post

'Code of Honor'

Let's see if it still looks weird or if they'll work on it some more. (Seeing as it's the same model shot as the 'transferring phaser energy' one from Farpoint.)
Old February 7 2012, 03:38 PM   #3015
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Tosk wrote: View Post
DostoyevskyClone wrote: View Post

'Code of Honor'

Let's see if it still looks weird or if they'll work on it some more. (Seeing as it's the same model shot as the 'transferring phaser energy' one from Farpoint.)
I'm more concerned that they'll keep the torpedoes exploding in orbit instead of 1000 meters above the surface.
Closed Thread