Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old September 19 2011, 04:48 PM   #181
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R discussion thread!

bobd wrote: View Post
Does it have to all or nothing? I mean must it only either be 4x3 or 16x9? Surely there is some exposed area of the film that wasn't used for the original 4x3 transfer to tape.

Couldn't they open it up a little, so there are some black bars on each side, just not a thick as they'd be with a straight 4x3 version?

If memory serves, Hogan's Heroes in HD looked like that. Not quite full 16x9, but more than 4x3.
There's an example of that here:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=139
Old September 19 2011, 04:56 PM   #182
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus

Does it have to all or nothing? I mean must it only either be 4x3 or 16x9? Surely there is some exposed area of the film that wasn't used for the original 4x3 transfer to tape.

Couldn't they open it up a little, so there are some black bars on each side, just not a thick as they'd be with a straight 4x3 version?

If memory serves, Hogan's Heroes in HD looked like that. Not quite full 16x9, but more than 4x3.
I've never heard of that. The only two ratios are 4:3 and 16:9.
Old September 19 2011, 06:43 PM   #183
Flake
Commodore

Go with 16:9 please! I can't wait to see this! Though I have stated my issue with blu-ray earlier in the thread I do intend to purchase a Blu-Ray drive for my computer JUST for this, I can't wait! It does sound like they are using the original film elements and scanning them at high-res rather than upres which is excellent.

I realize they framed the shots with 4:3 in mind but I believe we can enjoy the show just as much in 16:9 and I hope they do it. We have watched in 4:3 for 25 years and we still have the DVDs to refer back to, I think widescreen and HD will make it feel like a brand new show we can enjoy all over again. Make it so!
Old September 19 2011, 10:10 PM   #184
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
Well, that is the problem. It's impossible to frame the whole show properly if it's cropped from how it was originally framed.
Are they remastering the shows from the original negative or just processing the old shows?

I remember seeing some b-roll footage from behind the scenes of TNG. A shot pointed at the monitor showed the shots with a 4:3 box superimposed over the top. A lot of existed on each side, above and below the original shot.

I suppose it depends what information still exists from editing the original shows. I haven't done editing since university (and going back quite a few years), but with the power of computers these days I would think it would be possible to let them do all the hard work and manually correct whatever shots need reframing.
Old September 19 2011, 11:04 PM   #185
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Jon1701 wrote: View Post
Start Wreck wrote: View Post
Well, that is the problem. It's impossible to frame the whole show properly if it's cropped from how it was originally framed.
Are they remastering the shows from the original negative or just processing the old shows?

I remember seeing some b-roll footage from behind the scenes of TNG. A shot pointed at the monitor showed the shots with a 4:3 box superimposed over the top. A lot of existed on each side, above and below the original shot.

I suppose it depends what information still exists from editing the original shows. I haven't done editing since university (and going back quite a few years), but with the power of computers these days I would think it would be possible to let them do all the hard work and manually correct whatever shots need reframing.
They have to remaster from the film because the shows were edited on video, so they'll be scanning the film and reediting everything from scratch.
Old September 19 2011, 11:05 PM   #186
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Squiggy wrote: View Post

I've never heard of that. The only two ratios are 4:3 and 16:9.

He prob means the formatting the bluray player or tv allows...mine allows 16:9, 16:10 for example. I thought he also meant that extra picture allowed (and seen in TATV) with a 1:37 aspect ratio as opposed to 1:33 as it was originally shot with.

RAMA
Old September 20 2011, 12:41 AM   #187
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Yes. If they kept the image height seen on the DVDs while also opening up the frame horizontally, that would result in an aspect ratio of 1.65:1. If they went right to the vertical "TV Safe Action Area", they'd have an AR of 1.85:1. So, right in-between would be 1.77:1 or 16x9.

You can see the Panavision film formats below. Note the measurements of the aperatures given in decimals. Take the .980 of the 35mm Full Aperature and combine it with the .594 of the 1.33 TV Transmitted Area.

http://www.motionpicturecameras.net/MPCnet_Formats/Panavision_film_formats.pdf

Last edited by Maxwell Everett; September 20 2011 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Link didn't work
Old September 20 2011, 12:58 AM   #188
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Burnett has tweeted several more times including THIS:

CBS should put their excellent TNG 1:33 vs 16:9 demo online and let the fanbase vote. (16:9 would win by a landslide...).
http://twitter.com/#!/BurnettRM
Old September 20 2011, 01:46 AM   #189
mswood
Rear Admiral

I am very curious if what Burnett is talking about is cropped images or just them using the full filmed frame.

I have far, far less of a problem with them using the full frame , even if it wasn't staged for that , for two reasons.

One you don't loose any footage (no matter what with cropping you do).
Two you don't loose the vertical staging, period.

The only problem with this is that on some shows since you shot blocked for 4:3 you often would have dead screens (not a real issue with TNG as they didn't really use much in live monitors), stage hands in part of the not used frame, or even cables, and wires visible.

Though I have no idea if TNG was more careful when they shot, their footage.

This I can see them doing without having a huge impact on the staging of the shots (minus very few really dynamic shots, something TNG wasn't know for Frakes and Bowman are two exceptions).
Old September 20 2011, 01:56 AM   #190
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

mswood wrote: View Post
The only problem with this is that on some shows since you shot blocked for 4:3 you often would have dead screens (not a real issue with TNG as they didn't really use much in live monitors), stage hands in part of the not used frame, or even cables, and wires visible.
I think this is something you can fix pretty easily and fast these days.
Old September 20 2011, 02:25 AM   #191
Herbert
Captain

Are Micheal and Denise Okuda involved in the Star Trek: The Next Generation remastered project?
Old September 20 2011, 02:35 AM   #192
Bad Atom
Commodore

View Bad Atom's Twitter Profile

They can mess with the framing all they want, but the original aspect ratio should be preserved as well. Give people the option! It's Blu-Ray, there should be plenty of room for both options to satisfy everyone.
Old September 20 2011, 02:41 AM   #193
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Herbert wrote: View Post
Are Micheal and Denise Okuda involved in the Star Trek: The Next Generation remastered project?

Hard to tell but I wouldn't bet against it.
Old September 20 2011, 03:07 AM   #194
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

I really don't want to see after-the-fact guessing on the aspect ratio. It needs to stay 4x3, it's perfectly possible to watch 4x3 material on a widescreen display. My wife and I watch Trek, classic Who, all manner of old TV shows on our set without any issue.

Just leave it how it was and clean it up for HD.
Old September 20 2011, 03:10 AM   #195
RAMA
Vice Admiral

It occurs to me...on second thought I DON'T want a fan vote on the aspect ratio!! SF fans in general and ST fans specifically are not that imaginative and pretty much like things to stay the same ALL the time.

RAMA