IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old September 17 2011, 11:15 AM   #166
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R discussion thread!

mswood wrote: View Post

And unlike most films, this is Trek. Meaning I have seen every single bloody episode many times. From episodes I hate maybe only viewed ten or so times over the decades to episodes that I have watched literally hundreds of times.

The more familiar you are the more noticeable any significant aspect changes will be in your viewing habits. And frankly nothing is more familiar to me then televised Trek.
^This! Well said Mswood.
Old September 17 2011, 03:26 PM   #167
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

Meh, TNG was never intended to be watched in an HD format. They created, shot and edited the thing, knowing that everyone had 4:3 analogue tv's. Stereo sound was perhaps as advanced as they could be.

With that in mind, I just don't see the problem with cropping. They are creating something that was not intended to be viewed in this manner. If we are recreating it as new - we want to see the best picture, sound and the best viewing experience available for the current format (HDTV). As long as everything looks framed properly - I just can't see the problem. I honestly don't think you'll notice either.

You want to see it how it was originally intended? Buy a 20 year old TV and hook it up to a VHS player.
Old September 17 2011, 06:27 PM   #168
JJohnson
Captain

I'll be fine with 4:3, 5.1 sound, 1080p picture with updated FX. No need to crop and lose some of the original picture. Just fix up any seam lines, maybe show some additional ship flybys in lieu of stock footage, fix the planets to look more realistic, and better mattes and digitally extend the obvious soundstage planetside scenes.
Old September 17 2011, 09:32 PM   #169
StalwartUK
Commander

I want to see as much of the picture as possible and as TNG was shot in 4:3 then 4:3 it will be.
Old September 18 2011, 01:44 AM   #170
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Scotty wrote: View Post

And unlike most films, this is Trek. Meaning I have seen every single bloody episode many times. From episodes I hate maybe only viewed ten or so times over the decades to episodes that I have watched literally hundreds of times.

The more familiar you are the more noticeable any significant aspect changes will be in your viewing habits. And frankly nothing is more familiar to me then televised Trek.
^This! Well said Mswood.
All the more reason for changes to the familiar to be welcomed!
Old September 18 2011, 08:17 AM   #171
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post

^This! Well said Mswood.
All the more reason for changes to the familiar to be welcomed!
Completely.

As somebody else remarked - i've watched every episode many times, most hundreds of times and (dare I say it?) bored of watching them over and over and over again.

Bring on something new!

Mess around with them all you want!
Old September 19 2011, 02:01 AM   #172
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Jon1701 wrote: View Post
Meh, TNG was never intended to be watched in an HD format. They created, shot and edited the thing, knowing that everyone had 4:3 analogue tv's. Stereo sound was perhaps as advanced as they could be.

With that in mind, I just don't see the problem with cropping. They are creating something that was not intended to be viewed in this manner. If we are recreating it as new - we want to see the best picture, sound and the best viewing experience available for the current format (HDTV). As long as everything looks framed properly - I just can't see the problem. I honestly don't think you'll notice either.

You want to see it how it was originally intended? Buy a 20 year old TV and hook it up to a VHS player.
Old September 19 2011, 02:23 AM   #173
bobd
Ensign

Robert Meyer Burnett just weighed in. Looks like he's seen some of the footage, too.
I cannot believe how good TNG looks in HD. Hoping they go with 16:9. This is one time the purist in me whole-heartedly supports the change.

http://twitter.com/#!/BurnettRM
Old September 19 2011, 03:32 AM   #174
RAMA
Vice Admiral

bobd wrote: View Post
Robert Meyer Burnett just weighed in. Looks like he's seen some of the footage, too.
I cannot believe how good TNG looks in HD. Hoping they go with 16:9. This is one time the purist in me whole-heartedly supports the change.

http://twitter.com/#!/BurnettRM
Busy guy, he's done a lot in ST circles. I can see why he may be in "the know".

RAMA
Old September 19 2011, 05:28 AM   #175
Scotty
Rear Admiral

I must say that I truely hadn't expect the overwhelming support for a cropped 16:9 version. But if the producers of TNG-R decide to go down this route I do hope they'll offer viewers a choice on th BD discs between 4:3 and 16:9.
Old September 19 2011, 06:25 AM   #176
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Most people don't realize how much film and TV photography is based on the Rule of Thirds, and when you crop an existing frame you often end up drastically changing the composition, which was often chosen to show dominance or draw your eye to a particular place.
Old September 19 2011, 02:11 PM   #177
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Darn, now I want to see this demo of which Burnett speaks.
Old September 19 2011, 02:12 PM   #178
Screamy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Screamy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Screamy

Squiggy wrote: View Post
I made these a while back to show how cropping wouldn't negatively impact the show.

Here's the originally framed 4:3 shot

Another shot, old school:

And new hotness:

The "meat" of the action has been, and will always be in the center section of the screen. Losing the background on top and the foreground on the bottom wouldn't really negatively impact the plot, feel, or "director's vision".
Maybe it wouldn't, but cropping the show in this way doesn't add anything either...
Actually, it would add a hell of a lot of size.

To scale, this is what you'd be looking at

and
Old September 19 2011, 02:23 PM   #179
bobd
Ensign

Does it have to all or nothing? I mean must it only either be 4x3 or 16x9? Surely there is some exposed area of the film that wasn't used for the original 4x3 transfer to tape.

Couldn't they open it up a little, so there are some black bars on each side, just not a thick as they'd be with a straight 4x3 version?

If memory serves, Hogan's Heroes in HD looked like that. Not quite full 16x9, but more than 4x3.
Old September 19 2011, 02:31 PM   #180
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
Do you feel the same way when you buy a movie and aren't getting the whole thing?
I don't think I ever have, but I'm sure I would.
Because you rarely are. Unless you're watching a movie letterboxed, you're not getting the entire thing. Even if you watch a movie in a fill 16:9 screen you're not getting the entire movie as movies are 1.85:1. (or 5.55:3 or 16.65:9)
As I said, I don't think I ever have. Movies I watch on my 16:9 screen are letterboxed to their original cinema aspect ratio. I probably wouldn't buy them if they were cropped to fit 16:9.

Jon1701 wrote: View Post
As long as everything looks framed properly - I just can't see the problem.
Well, that is the problem. It's impossible to frame the whole show properly if it's cropped from how it was originally framed.
Closed Thread