RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,346
Posts: 5,354,027
Members: 24,620
Currently online: 494
Newest member: StarTrekSteve

TrekToday headlines

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old January 8 2012, 03:57 PM   #1531
Scotty
Rear Admiral
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Location: The Netherlands, Les Pays Bas, Holland
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Looking at that video again, I'm sure I can still see noticeable dirt/scratches on the film during the Farpoint atmospheric ascent sequence, around the 44-45 second mark. I assume this means that they haven't gone to the effort of removing dirt, scratches and hairs from the original film as they did in TOS-R - a bit of a disappointment. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNhpKEpiKRs#t=0m44s - but you have to watch closely on the right side due to the size of the video provided)

Apart from that, the improved colour timing is perfect - gone are the muted washed out colours, thank god! Can't really tell much else from the video due to its reduced size.
I see what you mean. I also see what appears to be dirt and scratches in the EW comparison footage. However, if you look at the new footage in the Blu Ray second trailer (which also features the alien atmospheric ascent footage) the scratches are gone and there isn't any noticable damage in any of the shots.
__________________
"No bla bla bla!" - Captain James T. Kirk
Scotty is offline  
Old January 8 2012, 08:02 PM   #1532
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain
 
FrontierTrek's Avatar
 
Location: TrekCore.com
View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Scotty wrote: View Post
I see what you mean. I also see what appears to be dirt and scratches in the EW comparison footage. However, if you look at the new footage in the Blu Ray second trailer (which also features the alien atmospheric ascent footage) the scratches are gone and there isn't any noticable damage in any of the shots.
Hmm - all I can assume is that this video was compiled *before* the previous one, very strange!

But I've added it to the coverage at TrekCore. I've also taken two frames from the live action in the trailer and compared them with DVD grabs of the same frame. You can view it here: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/index.html#farpoint

Somewhat limited by the quality of the video, but the differences in colour timing are quite beautiful and just look at that new compositing on the Zorn frame! Goodbye bad blue-screen viewscreen work!
__________________
www.TrekCore.com :: The Net's LARGEST Trek Multimedia Site
Over 450,000 Trek DVD & Blu-Ray Caps from EVERY episode/movie!
FrontierTrek is offline  
Old January 9 2012, 03:37 AM   #1533
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Pre-ordered the sampler disc today.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline  
Old January 9 2012, 09:43 AM   #1534
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

[QUOTE=FrontierTrek;5556976]
Scotty wrote: View Post
But I've added it to the coverage at TrekCore. I've also taken two frames from the live action in the trailer and compared them with DVD grabs of the same frame. You can view it here: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/index.html#farpoint
It works fine in Internet Explorer, but the javascript seems to be broken in Firefox. Anyone else having this problem? The color timing one wont load at all and the SD/HD analysis one goes directly to this image link:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/compare/farpoint3_sd.jpg
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline  
Old January 9 2012, 11:11 AM   #1535
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain
 
FrontierTrek's Avatar
 
Location: TrekCore.com
View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

[QUOTE=Maxwell Everett;5561134]
FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Scotty wrote: View Post
But I've added it to the coverage at TrekCore. I've also taken two frames from the live action in the trailer and compared them with DVD grabs of the same frame. You can view it here: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/index.html#farpoint
It works fine in Internet Explorer, but the javascript seems to be broken in Firefox. Anyone else having this problem? The color timing one wont load at all and the SD/HD analysis one goes directly to this image link:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/compare/farpoint3_sd.jpg
I downloaded FireFox and checked for you, Maxwell Everett, and it works fine. Perhaps you need to clear your cache, or CTRL-Refresh the page - the comparison galleries use a javascript file which maybe cached as an old version on your computer Let me know if this works!
__________________
www.TrekCore.com :: The Net's LARGEST Trek Multimedia Site
Over 450,000 Trek DVD & Blu-Ray Caps from EVERY episode/movie!
FrontierTrek is offline  
Old January 9 2012, 03:40 PM   #1536
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

I am really curious to see how the "consuming blackness" that's in the corner of the screen during some of the "trial" in EaF is corrected/replaced.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline  
Old January 9 2012, 03:52 PM   #1537
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain
 
FrontierTrek's Avatar
 
Location: TrekCore.com
View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I am really curious to see how the "consuming blackness" that's in the corner of the screen during some of the "trial" in EaF is corrected/replaced.
Do you mean this?? http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...point1_182.jpg

That's always bothered me too - It's almost like they threw something over the camera to black out the top of the shot!
__________________
www.TrekCore.com :: The Net's LARGEST Trek Multimedia Site
Over 450,000 Trek DVD & Blu-Ray Caps from EVERY episode/movie!
FrontierTrek is offline  
Old January 9 2012, 04:12 PM   #1538
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I am really curious to see how the "consuming blackness" that's in the corner of the screen during some of the "trial" in EaF is corrected/replaced.
Do you mean this?? http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...point1_182.jpg

That's always bothered me too - It's almost like they threw something over the camera to black out the top of the shot!
Hell, I don't even think that's the worst example from that scene. I recall a shot where pretty much the only thing visible is Picard's head. (I think it's the scene where Picard turns ad shoutingly admits that humanity has had its flaws.)
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline  
Old January 9 2012, 08:19 PM   #1539
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain
 
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Re cost of sets: Trek fans have always gotten gouged out the wazoo on dvds. Trek is one of a handful of shows whose season sets routinely MSRP for over $100.

Most are $35-50 at most.
Ian Keldon is offline  
Old January 9 2012, 08:34 PM   #1540
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

I picked up all 4 season of Heroes for £30. Releastically whilst it might be the first time for blu-ray realese. It's the fourth release of the show in the UK

VHS
Hard case DVD
Soft case DVD

so Blu-ray will make it the 4th time it's been released. Releastically you are maybe looking at £50/season max.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline  
Old January 10 2012, 01:16 AM   #1541
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Scotty wrote: View Post
I see what you mean. I also see what appears to be dirt and scratches in the EW comparison footage. However, if you look at the new footage in the Blu Ray second trailer (which also features the alien atmospheric ascent footage) the scratches are gone and there isn't any noticable damage in any of the shots.
Hmm - all I can assume is that this video was compiled *before* the previous one, very strange!

But I've added it to the coverage at TrekCore. I've also taken two frames from the live action in the trailer and compared them with DVD grabs of the same frame. You can view it here: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/index.html#farpoint

Somewhat limited by the quality of the video, but the differences in colour timing are quite beautiful and just look at that new compositing on the Zorn frame! Goodbye bad blue-screen viewscreen work!
Also noticeable on the view screen...the star fields are different...

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline  
Old January 10 2012, 03:07 AM   #1542
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Very different. They look more like stars on the screen rather than a cluster of Christmas lights.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline  
Old January 10 2012, 03:22 AM   #1543
Tomalak
Vice Admiral
 
Tomalak's Avatar
 
Location: Liverpool
View Tomalak's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

MacLeod wrote: View Post
I picked up all 4 season of Heroes for £30. Releastically whilst it might be the first time for blu-ray realese. It's the fourth release of the show in the UK

VHS
Hard case DVD
Soft case DVD

so Blu-ray will make it the 4th time it's been released. Releastically you are maybe looking at £50/season max.
There were also the VHS reissues, but I think they only went up to the end of season four when the DVD boxsets were first released.

Plus the VHS releases of the two-parters in movie format. The UK's had its share of TNG in home video.
__________________
She bought her first new car and you hit her with a drunk driver. What, is that supposed to be funny?
Tomalak is offline  
Old January 10 2012, 10:22 AM   #1544
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral
 
Asbo Zaprudder's Avatar
 
Location: Magic realism
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
...play.com has the TNG taster Blu-ray listed for £7.99 - £1 more than amazon.co.uk.
Now £6.99 at play.com - obviously market forces at work.
__________________
"Sans le canard de Vaucanson vous n'auriez rien qui fit ressouvenir de la gloire de la France." -- Voltaire -- Flip flap!
Asbo Zaprudder is offline  
Old January 10 2012, 01:28 PM   #1545
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker
 
Savage Dragon's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

I think that someone already mentioned this but the colour seems to be ever so slightly too much into the green spectrum. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to seeing it with too much red.

Anyway, it's not a complaint. It looks loads better now.
Savage Dragon is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
tng-r

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.