RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,693
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 768
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old January 7 2012, 09:11 PM   #1516
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

You know what? If this project was in any way funded by JJtrek, I have no issues with that film anymore.

This is beyond anything I could have imagined. If the set runs into three or four figures, I'm taking out a loan.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
Old January 7 2012, 09:15 PM   #1517
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

Four figures? I'd hope the entire 7 season run doesn't even reach that
Old January 7 2012, 09:17 PM   #1518
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Dac wrote: View Post
I meant to say the entire 7 year run being four figures. Whoops.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
Old January 7 2012, 10:18 PM   #1519
Flake
Commodore

I would just like to say...I take back most of what I said. I just watched The Last Outpost, and I must say....that should look pretty great in HD. I can't fault that episode for any visual reason.
Don't forget something like 11010011 with the Bynars. It would've been such a shame to lose movie quality FX for new and inferior CGI! They would have needed to spend a LOT of money on CGI to come close to replicating the spacedock and even then they would still look worse. Could you imagine a CGI update for Search for Spock? Because thats what they would be asked to do on a shoestring budget. A lot of the ship models where built for the movies anyway and they will look excellent in HD.
Old January 7 2012, 11:02 PM   #1520
Dac
Commodore

Flake wrote: View Post
I would just like to say...I take back most of what I said. I just watched The Last Outpost, and I must say....that should look pretty great in HD. I can't fault that episode for any visual reason.
Don't forget something like 11010011 with the Bynars. It would've been such a shame to lose movie quality FX for new and inferior CGI! They would have needed to spend a LOT of money on CGI to come close to replicating the spacedock and even then they would still look worse. Could you imagine a CGI update for Search for Spock? Because thats what they would be asked to do on a shoestring budget. A lot of the ship models where built for the movies anyway and they will look excellent in HD.
Well, I never advocated CG. I simply said the problems with the early season were more ingrained and simply a clearer picture couldnt help them. I was wrong in that regard
Old January 7 2012, 11:20 PM   #1521
Dac
Commodore

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Goodo. To be honest, I don't see the season sets costing THAT much...

The only upcoming series set of comparable size I could see on play.com was The Twilight Zone series 5 on Blu Ray, and that was £39.99. Most modern season sets are only about £20 on Blu Ray. Sure, TNG-HD has got more work done to it which I suppose may inflate the price some, but if they charge any more than £50/$75 they'll be overcharging it IMO. Plus, no one charges full retail anyway. It'll probably be £40/$60 a set if that.
Old January 8 2012, 12:39 AM   #1522
22 Stars
Commodore

I'm watching TNG on BBC America right now and I really can't believe how fuzzy the show is, I am SO looking forward to this TNG-R!!!!
Old January 8 2012, 01:37 AM   #1523
Captrek
Rear Admiral

The only upcoming series set of comparable size I could see on play.com was The Twilight Zone series 5 on Blu Ray, and that was £39.99. Most modern season sets are only about £20 on Blu Ray. Sure, TNG-HD has got more work done to it which I suppose may inflate the price some, but if they charge any more than £50/$75 they'll be overcharging it IMO. Plus, no one charges full retail anyway. It'll probably be £40/$60 a set if that.
MSRP for the TOS BDs is $129.99/season. I expect they'll use that as a guideline and set a MSRP of $129.99 or at most $139.99. They won't want to go too far over what their own MSRPs are conditioning us to expect.

Another way to try to project the MSRP is to extrapolate from the MSRP of the sampler. A rate of $22.99 for four "hours" projects to $1023.05 for 178 hours, or $146.15 per season.

Of course, MSRP and actual price may be quite different.
Old January 8 2012, 03:31 AM   #1524
NewHorizon
Captain

I really want to own all the seasons of TNG on HD, but I can't really justify paying more than $50 / season....$70 tops, not with a wife and kid to feed. I hope they don't over charge for these....$100+ is far too much.
Old January 8 2012, 04:04 AM   #1525
ATimson
Rear Admiral

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
I really want to own all the seasons of TNG on HD, but I can't really justify paying more than $50 / season....$70 tops, not with a wife and kid to feed. I hope they don't over charge for these....$100+ is far too much.
You're confusing MSRP with actual retail price. TOS may have had a $130/season MSRP, but you could find it for $60-70 the week it came out.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old January 8 2012, 07:27 AM   #1526
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post
That looks pretty darn impressive.
Old January 8 2012, 08:48 AM   #1527
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
NewHorizon wrote: View Post
You're confusing MSRP with actual retail price. TOS may have had a $130/season MSRP, but you could find it for $60-70 the week it came out.
... and the release cycle might only be one season per year - two at most. That's relatively easy to budget for even at MSRP if you save $10-20 per month in advance.
Old January 8 2012, 08:48 AM   #1528
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Now, those Farpoint aliens? Always looked a little goofy, but the fuzzy glow around the SD versions gave them some substance which I feel the HD version has taken away, making the tendrils far more spindly and rope like than they initially did. This is one issue. Overall I'm jumping for joy at TNG-HD and everything else I've seen looks fantastic. The Enterprise herself is a thing of beauty. The fact is though, the Farpoint aliens are first spaceship/alien of the week that were never seen again. Of course they didn't have the same level of polish applied to them.
I think this is one of those cases where the recompositing of the elements is entirely at fault. They could easily have applied filters that would have minimized the problem with showing the "thready" quality of the tentacles.
Old January 8 2012, 10:52 AM   #1529
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Looking at that video again, I'm sure I can still see noticeable dirt/scratches on the film during the Farpoint atmospheric ascent sequence, around the 44-45 second mark. I assume this means that they haven't gone to the effort of removing dirt, scratches and hairs from the original film as they did in TOS-R - a bit of a disappointment. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNhpKEpiKRs#t=0m44s - but you have to watch closely on the right side due to the size of the video provided)

Apart from that, the improved colour timing is perfect - gone are the muted washed out colours, thank god! Can't really tell much else from the video due to its reduced size.
Old January 8 2012, 02:36 PM   #1530
Dac
Commodore

captrek wrote: View Post

MSRP for the TOS BDs is $129.99/season. I expect they'll use that as a guideline and set a MSRP of $129.99 or at most $139.99. They won't want to go too far over what their own MSRPs are conditioning us to expect.

Another way to try to project the MSRP is to extrapolate from the MSRP of the sampler. A rate of $22.99 for four "hours" projects to $1023.05 for 178 hours, or $146.15 per season.

Of course, MSRP and actual price may be quite different.
And they came out several years ago when it was still a new, largely unadopted format. I'm not sure about the US, but Blu Ray sets have dropped dramatically in price here in the UK. Hell, I picked up all 4 seasons of BSG for under £100 2 years ago. Now, it can be had for £65. The individual season sets were about £35/£40 at the time. I really can't see how charging more than $100 is going to happen. Unless Blu Ray prices remain unchanged in the states.
Closed Thread