Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old January 10 2012, 06:02 AM   #451
tighr
Commodore

Re: College Football 2011 Discussion

Lieut. Arex wrote: View Post
Aside from the win, my favorite part of the game was the SEC commercial "You're watching Number Six". Hell yeah.
Quite a few of my friends also commented on that commercial. Friends who aren't even fans of SEC teams. It was very awesome.
Old January 10 2012, 06:28 AM   #452
Neroon
Mod of balance

1001001 wrote: View Post
LSU managed 92 yards of total offense.

Great win for Alabama. They are a very well-coached team. One penalty (on an insignificant play), no turnovers, everyone staying inbounds in the 4th quarter....nicely done.

Succinctly put. That's the game in a nutshell.
Old January 10 2012, 06:56 AM   #453
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

It was as much Jefferson's fault tonight. He played without any kind of urgency or aggressiveness for the most part.
That's what head coaches and quarterback coaches are for--to yell at a kid to get his ass in gear. This is on Les. He didn't have his kids ready to play. Saban had his kids ready to play. That's it. That's all there is. Saban was prepared. He had his team motivated and prepared. LSU....I don't know what the hell they were doing.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2012, 02:12 PM   #454
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Let a team who can't score a touchdown beat you.
I'm pretty sure they did, in fact, score a touchdown.
Old January 10 2012, 03:38 PM   #455
B.J.
Rear Admiral

WE CAN HAZ PLAYOFF SYSTEM NAO, PLZ?
Old January 10 2012, 05:42 PM   #456
tighr
Commodore

God, I wish there was a +1. Bring it on, Oklahoma State.

Jerry Jones should make it happen, outside of the BCS. Call it an "exhibition game". Let's do it in February after the Super Bowl.
Old January 10 2012, 08:28 PM   #457
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I was really disappointed in the BCS championship.

Admittedly I was rooting for LSU. But the opportunity to see Alabama be beaten wasn't the only factor in play. I was just really, really disappointed that we didn't get to see a more even game. I did not want to see someone get steamrolled. That just got boring and disheartening. I didn't turn it off...but I definitely thought about it, many times.
Old January 11 2012, 12:42 AM   #458
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

You know I know the whole thing about preserving the regular season, but aren't finales supposed to be grandiose and epic? Some years we get that (Rose Bowl between USC and Texas which I still think was the best college football "championship game" in the last decade) but last night was boring and really really bad. Yeah I know we need a playoff system, but even if it was just a +1, it would be a huge improvement without tarnishing the regular season but making the end of the season feel a lot bigger.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 01:29 AM   #459
tighr
Commodore

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
You know I know the whole thing about preserving the regular season, but aren't finales supposed to be grandiose and epic? Some years we get that (Rose Bowl between USC and Texas which I still think was the best college football "championship game" in the last decade) but last night was boring and really really bad.
Super Bowl XXXVII.
Old January 11 2012, 01:32 AM   #460
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

tighr wrote: View Post
You know I know the whole thing about preserving the regular season, but aren't finales supposed to be grandiose and epic? Some years we get that (Rose Bowl between USC and Texas which I still think was the best college football "championship game" in the last decade) but last night was boring and really really bad.
Super Bowl XXXVII.
Uh, I don't get your point.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 01:56 AM   #461
tighr
Commodore

tighr wrote: View Post
Super Bowl XXXVII.
Uh, I don't get your point.
It was boring. Game was over mid-2nd quarter. Shouldn't the playoff system have weeded out the Raiders as a "boring" team?

Just a little devil's advocate here, as I hate the BCS as well. Obviously, it worked out for me this year.

I think the real complaint that a lot of people have about last night's games is that it featured two teams who are extremely similar, yet didn't have the now-popular spread offense. Any game involving Alabama or LSU and a team with a spread offense would have been exciting, but I truly believe Alabama and LSU would beat anyone else in the field. A 4, 8, 16 team playoff very likely would have given us the same result (unless Alabama and LSU were in the same bracket).

People who don't understand football (which is A LOT of people) just want to tune in, drink a beer, and watch a receiver haul in a 50 yard pass and run untouched into the endzone. They UNDERSTAND touchdowns. They don't understand sacks, tackles for loss, broken plays, or well-defended receivers forcing the incomplete pass. They barely understand how that receiver got the ball in the first place for the touchdown; they have no concept of developing plays or even an offensive gameplan.

See what people were talking about in the Denver Pitt game. People upset that Pittsburgh's safety bit on the run and was two steps behind Thomas on the 80 yard OT reception. They don't understand why he "missed his assignment" when in fact he was doing his job, and just got outcoached on that play.
Old January 11 2012, 05:07 AM   #462
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Alabama or LSU may well have beaten Stanford or Oklahoma State. My point is, as one less teams (and Oklahoma State as a 1 loss team with a superior strength of schedule to Alabama) should have had the opportunity to do that on the field in a plus one, national semifinal, what have you. If Bama wins, fine. I can accept that if it's decided on the field.

However....seeing LSU founder and flounder because douchebag the wonder coach was so shell shocked he couldn't even tell his QB to open it up a little just to try and get something going on offense since Bama's defense was a concrete wall, it makes the whole thing seem even more egregious. O-State would have had a shot at that LSU team, last night. Not during the regular season, but last night? Oh yes. Les couldn't adjust for shit. The triple option isn't going to work against corners and defensive backs like Bama's, douchebag on the bayou.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote