RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,404
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 556
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old September 3 2011, 10:01 PM   #1
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
College Football 2011 Discussion

Kind of surprised there was no thread about the new College Football season, so here it is. I'm more of a fan of the pro game (And waiting for Hockey to come back) but I follow Stanford and Cal. I guess the only thing I have to contribute in the early going is I wonder how Stanford is going to do with a new coach and everyone is still eying Andrew Luck as the first overall pick and maybe a Heisman trophy contender. Should be an interesting year for all college football fans
Old September 4 2011, 05:28 AM   #2
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Re: College Football 2011 Discussion

Well, other than maybe TCU, it looked like all the teams that were supposed to win, did. Stanford looked strong but of course they were playing a weak SJ State team. Also, it must suck for the Pac-12 to have a first day as an expanded conference and not do so well. I can understand Oregon losing to LSU (SEC being the high and mighty after all) but UCLA and Oregon St. losing to weaker teams is a bit embarrassing.
Old September 4 2011, 05:58 AM   #3
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I kept thinking there had to be a thread, but I couldn't find it. Thanks for starting one!

That Auburn-Utah game was a nail-biter, for sure. I really thought we were going to lose that one (as usual, our penalty "anti-yardage" was pretty outrageous), but that onside kick was awesome. At least now I know we'll have at least some wins on our record, though until I see how we fare against another SEC team, I'm not going to believe it quite yet.

I'd like to hope for the best, though. Warrrrrrr-eagle!

On a more personal note, I loved how the commentators highlighted the wonderful things that the Auburn and Alabama fans have done for each other lately. I know there's a rivalry and there's always going to be one, but I really think both schools have shown that despite fanatical morons, most of us really do have class and have hearts.
Old September 4 2011, 06:14 AM   #4
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

I was very impressed by the Baylor win - and the TCU near-comeback, but their lack of defense was shocking.

Very pleased that Boise State took Georgia apart in Atlanta; too bad about Oregon, I was hoping they could shut LSU up. Except for my Vols and a few others in the Conference, I've turned into something of an SEC anti-fan.
Old September 4 2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.

I mean, I know it's going to be slim pickings for awhile, but watching USC slog their way through that second half was downright painful yesterday. Barkley and Woods had huge games, but we can't run and our defense is weak.

It's going to be a long year.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Stephen!
Captain

How does college football actually work?

Are these students that go to college exclusively to play football? Or do they do football in addition to other subjects?
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2011, 05:04 PM   #7

Stephen! wrote: View Post

Are these students that go to college exclusively to play football? Or do they do football in addition to other subjects?
Can, open. Worms, everywhere!

Theoretically, these are student athletes. Some schools do that better than others.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old September 4 2011, 05:04 PM   #8
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

Even though they lost to USC, I was impressed with how Minnesota played. I was expecting them to get smoked but instead they looked pretty good (of course, USC didn't exactly have their A game going).
Pegaritaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2011, 07:23 PM   #9

Pegaritaville wrote: View Post
Even though they lost to USC, I was impressed with how Minnesota played. I was expecting them to get smoked but instead they looked pretty good (of course, USC didn't exactly have their A game going).
Both teams looked good...for one half.
Old September 5 2011, 02:49 PM   #10
TheMurph
Rear Admiral

Well, Tennessee won, but I don't get very excited over these "gimme" games. I think Tyler Bray has some skill, and that he will be great at some point, but his impressive performance was against a second tier team. I'm still saying that we'll probably break even this season.

Stephen! wrote: View Post

For the most part they're student athletes. They go to class and play their sport. Team activities are limited in the amount of time that they can occupy of one of their athletes.

Some students who play college sports get a free college education via scholarships handed out based on their athletic prowess and recruitment.
Old September 5 2011, 09:48 PM   #11
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

TheMurph wrote: View Post
Well, Tennessee won, but I don't get very excited over these "gimme" games. I think Tyler Bray has some skill, and that he will be great at some point, but his impressive performance was against a second tier team. I'm still saying that we'll probably break even this season.
I'm hoping for a little better than break even. I agree about not being terribly excited about the first game; all respect to Montana, but it was a mismatch. I understand why those sort of games are scheduled, but it kinda bums me - the Vols used to not resort to that sort of scheduling. We'll have to see about how the Cincy game goes.
Old September 6 2011, 02:12 PM   #12
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Anyone have thoughts on Maryland's new uniforms?
Old September 6 2011, 03:59 PM   #13
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

They looked like something you'd see from the 70s. Hopefully it was a one game thing but I doubt it.
Old September 6 2011, 04:35 PM   #14
nevermore
Admiral

They have like 40* different combinations. They had a damn fashion show a couple months ago. Expect to see a different uniform every week. I kinda like the helmet, but that's just because I like my state flag. I kinda don't like the helmet + the shoulder decoration, which just looked silly. No one's gonna fear that turtle.

Liked the result. Liked Virginia's result better. Wahoowah!

*Exaggerating, but not by much.
Old September 6 2011, 09:21 PM   #15
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Soo... Maryland vs. Oregon for the fashion showdown?