Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old February 11 2012, 11:22 PM   #1081
Scout101
Admiral

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Took a couple tries, but eventually got through it. I'm sure it was a server load issue, but does Cryptic not know how many players it has, and that this is a big draw? Along those lines, there IS a login queue, why let in more people than the servers can support?!?

As for the actual FE? Meh. It was alright, but nothing special. Thought it was way short, and not a whole lot really happened. Almost all of it was just watching the cutsceens and voiceovers that we can't skip. Looks like most of the time/budget went to that instead of developing stuff to do. As a setup for the next week's episode, maybe it'll be better, but by itself? Not great.

Also, they have to get Bajor ground up and running anyway by next week, would have been nice if DS9 was locked out once you finished this mission, until the next one. Make Bajor the temporary social replacement, and move the vendors there. They had to flee too, right? A 'war camp' like in Defera would have been nice, story wise. Instead, you flee DS9, and then go right back in like nothing happened...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 11:52 PM   #1082
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

I wonder if Cryptic realizes that if they wanted to pull off something like Scout101's idea, all they'd really need is a set of client-side scripting that toggles DS9 and "war camp" access depending on mission completion. Hell, just make the war camp an "area" of DS9's map.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 12:20 AM   #1083
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I will say this, while I got through it without any bugs from the mission, that one ground bug where you press your firing button, it clicks over, and nothing happens is still happening. Same with the devices buttons. It sucks when you're running low on health, click the hypo, and then die 5 seconds later, only for the hypo to finally kick in after you're dead (which puts it on the cooldown).
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 12:32 AM   #1084
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

I heard something interesting on the forums apparently we're getting a Jem' Hadar ground set like the STF ones from this FE series.

Also is the Admiral uniform we get at VA suppost to be a Dress Uniform?
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 12:39 AM   #1085
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
I wonder if Cryptic realizes that if they wanted to pull off something like Scout101's idea, all they'd really need is a set of client-side scripting that toggles DS9 and "war camp" access depending on mission completion. Hell, just make the war camp an "area" of DS9's map.
Its a lot more complicated than that. For example, there are foundry missions based on an unconquered DS9. Doing this would have broken all of those missions as the "normal" DS9 would not be accessible to players that have completed the FE.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun with the mission despite all the teething issues. Highlights:
- Amy Pond!
- Dipping and bopping around the docking pylons
Old February 12 2012, 01:44 AM   #1086
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
I heard something interesting on the forums apparently we're getting a Jem' Hadar ground set like the STF ones from this FE series.

The Jem'Hadar polaron rifle you get as a reward from the first mission is the first part of this set. Hover your mouse cursor over it to see the other pieces listed.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 01:54 AM   #1087
syberghost
Commander

View syberghost's Twitter Profile

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Maybe that's been our disconnect? Reading comprehension?
And there is where I stop reading. Enjoy your day.
syberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 03:05 AM   #1088
Scout101
Admiral

Preferable to you strawmanning my arguments, or just repeating the company line, I suppose. Just admitting you aren't reading the post at all has gotta be an improvement over you ignoring the majority of the post in order to nitpick a minor point instead. Skipped the substance of several points in order to nitpick the average join date of the posts in the thread...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 03:42 AM   #1089
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Personally, I think it is better that the servers are not able to handle to number of players than to have a FE that works without a hitch. It shows that there is a larger than anticipated influx of new players who all want to play the latest mission. Yes, the swamped servers may hinder some players enjoyment (and I do agree Cryptic needs better handling of such situations and better error messages), but overall I think it is a good thing for the long term prospect of STO.

Besides, most MMO official forums are filled with angry fanboys who are constantly shouting to get heard. The more popular a game is, the louder and angrier these voices get. Its a universal constant. Which is why I have always favored community operated, player moderated forums (such as The Safehouse and Druid's Grove for EQ) who work hard to keep the level of noise down and make sure all discussion are rational and constructive.
Old February 12 2012, 04:57 AM   #1090
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

intrinsical wrote: View Post
USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Its a lot more complicated than that. For example, there are foundry missions based on an unconquered DS9. Doing this would have broken all of those missions as the "normal" DS9 would not be accessible to players that have completed the FE.
So your problem is that FE's would actually be interesting because they impact what you can do as they are unfolding.

Oh and as for the first FE, TOTAL RIPOFF OF CALL TO ARMS. Also, are they unable to script camera cuts instead of pans?

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 05:19 AM   #1091
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

The Jem'Hadar polaron rifle you get as a reward from the first mission is the first part of this set. Hover your mouse cursor over it to see the other pieces listed.
Funny thing is I got the rifle without even knowing any of this I just thought that would work better with the Boff we're likely getting so when I move on to the Borg front missions the Collective can get a face full of Overpowered Jem' Hadar Shock troop.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 05:22 AM   #1092
Kaziarl
Commodore

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking the same thing Zilla. I got several Ketracel White drops, which do me absolutely no good unless we end up getting a Jem'Hadar boff.
Old February 12 2012, 09:45 AM   #1093
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I could bite nails in two! I just went to turn in my 5 encrypted borg data chip to get some STF Retro shields, and what happens? I accidentally click on Mk X requisition instead, so now I could only choose from Mk X purple crap I can buy on the exchange for cheap! GRRRRRRRRR! I HATE this requisition setup! Just let me choose from actual borg technology with a borg chip! Jebus!
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 12:03 PM   #1094
Rocketeer
Captain

The Second Wave is bugged. If you made it through without a hitch, you should consider buying a lottery ticket because you're lucky.

Doc Lee had to logout and back in to get through it. There are a few minor bugs and two major. The sticky keys during ground combat I consider a major flaw. Doc Lee either couldn't use most of his abilities or they were delayed (as someone said until after death). The second major bug is that when your char warps to Bajor, it resets your mission progress to the start of the Borg Conference discussions.

Link to the official Second Wave bugs thread on the STO forum.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=254082

However, Doc Lee made VA in between the failed attempt and redoing the mission. He got his butt kicked in the Nebula Refit so he decided to try out the Odyssey Star Cruiser.

Pros - Gained Engr console slot,gained slot for Cmdr Engr (lost Cmdr Sci slot) extra weapon slots fore and aft, gained device slot
Cons - Lost a Sci console slot, lost slot for Cmdr Sci ( went to Engr), could not transfer Detection console (but didn't need in this situation)

This is not the Odyssey that Doc Lee test drove, Cryptic did a bait and switch. :-/

The loss of the VA ship token is a kick in the teeth. I guess Cryptic thought that the majority of players affected would be eligible for the 600 Veteran's Award. I'm still a couple of months away, so Doc Lee will have to wait for his Intrepid Refit. For now he'll make do with the Odyssey Star Cruiser. At least it plowed through the Dominion ships like a bull in a china shop.

Considering FEDCON 23 in Dusseldorf, 29 May - 1 Jun 2014

Last edited by Rocketeer; February 12 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 12:21 PM   #1095
Rocketeer
Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I could bite nails in two! I just went to turn in my 5 encrypted borg data chip to get some STF Retro shields, and what happens? I accidentally click on Mk X requisition instead, so now I could only choose from Mk X purple crap I can buy on the exchange for cheap! GRRRRRRRRR! I HATE this requisition setup! Just let me choose from actual borg technology with a borg chip! Jebus!
Many times in STO, you have to highlight then click the item again before clicking the buy button. Yes, it's annoying as hell.

Considering FEDCON 23 in Dusseldorf, 29 May - 1 Jun 2014
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote