RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,666
Members: 24,817
Currently online: 430
Newest member: 118_Larson

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old January 25 2012, 10:22 PM   #766
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Well I think I'm going to reroll. I just looked at my old PWE account and I did have some Zen left over (quite a bit actually) and was able to transfer it into about 1200 c-points. So I unlocked Joined Trill. And might unlock Oberth Class too. That way I can get facerolled by rouge Klingons.
Old January 25 2012, 10:47 PM   #767
JRS
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JRS

Yeah the keyboard layout is a bit awkward... for space based parts i find myself using the mouse to control the ship, then space bar for phasers and assigned numbers for torpedoes (right click and drag them to assign to set numbers)
I think the controls are OK.
I tend to use the auto-fire option, for all of my ships beam weapons and leave torpedoes for manual
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 11:04 PM   #768
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

having a lot of connection problems tonight, so going to give up on it...

once we've gone through the Odyssey shakedown cruise stuff, I'll start organising STF's for people with characters above Lv 45

M
Old January 26 2012, 01:28 AM   #769
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Is this game mostly a single player game? One of the main complaints about SWTOR is how it's really a "co-op SP game." But this seems even more so. From my standpoint, though, that's probably a good thing. I abhor PUGing, and I don't think I'll be playing frequently enough to maintain a strong friend-base--other than TBBSers, of course.
Cryptic's philosophy is somewhat different (and imho better) than most other MMO companies. All their games are designed to be both soloable and groupable by friends and they frown on pugs. As a single player, you can complete roughly 90% of the missions by yourself. However once you hit the mid and high levels, there will be more than a few important story-arc finale missions with cool rewards where a single player will simply die repeatedly and a group will fare a much better.

Moreover, all Cryptic games have this thing called level scaling so even if you are level 1 you can group with a level 50 friend and get the option to fight as a level 50 when you are with him. Granted, you're a level 50 with a weaker ship, fewer equipment and lacking in level 50 skills, but your phasers will still pound foes as level 50 weapons and your shields will still absorb hits as if its a level 50 shield.
Old January 26 2012, 01:35 AM   #770
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Methos wrote: View Post
ahh fair enough... have to organise one ahead of time when more people can make it

on another subject.. wtf?!?!?

it's not right to be scared of a tribble...

M
I'm still scarred by William Shatner's dog borg!
Old January 26 2012, 07:22 AM   #771
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Shiny!
Old January 26 2012, 08:22 AM   #772
JRS
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JRS

I am already Commander(28) and will soon reach the rank of Captain..and then my current ship, the USS Vladivostok, will soon be retired and I will have a Defiant-type ship next.

(seems the image editor loves to ruin even the little resolution I had on the screencap..sigh)

I have also started playing on the Klingon side( using a Raptor-class vessel).
I decided to go with a female character this time..and I think I managed to create a pretty nice outfit for the lady.
My crew does look like a band of renegades.

"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2012, 08:53 AM   #773
Captain_Amasov
Captain

syberghost wrote: View Post
Science characters ideally should stick with Science ships to maximize their strengths, but Tactical in a Cruiser is quite viable, and Engineers make good captains of any ship type.
I'd say the Odyssey-class wouldn't be too bad for a science captain, it has a couple of universal BO slots available on it: http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2839
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2012, 09:27 AM   #774
Rocketeer
Captain

syberghost wrote: View Post
Rocketeer wrote: View Post
DOFF system - Getting a critical success used to give 500 or 1000 dilithium. I'm not sure if that's been nerfed yet. Normal payout is 5 dilithium. There are three things that you want to look at when assigning DOFFs to an assignment, their rarity, their specialty and their traits. Most players favor stacking for a critical success. Look for the DOFFs that increase both the success and crit success rates. You can experiment by slotting a DOFF then highlighting another one on in the roster and clicking "swap...". XP for the DOFF assignments has been nerfed quite a bit since inception. According to Heretic, it's been nerfed 5 times. I think that they should take out the XP rewards and just give appropiate commendation points. Of course I can say that since most of my characters have already benefited from the generous XP payouts. :-P
You don't have to experiment anymore; the DOFFs now highlight any skill they have that contributes in green, so you can see at a glance who's got what.

Also, you can filter by required or excluded attributes if it helps. Filtering out the ones with the attributes that contribute to Disaster is always helpful.
Well, it mainly offers up ones that contribute to success whereas I'm usually going for the *crit* success. Also the filter still needs some work (or did). The last time I tried it was Tuesday and it still had some glitches.

Also I noticed that dilithium payout on some crit successes has dropped to 125 di.

Considering FEDCON 23 in Dusseldorf, 29 May - 1 Jun 2014
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2012, 09:38 AM   #775
Rocketeer
Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Well I think I'm going to reroll. I just looked at my old PWE account and I did have some Zen left over (quite a bit actually) and was able to transfer it into about 1200 c-points. So I unlocked Joined Trill. And might unlock Oberth Class too. That way I can get facerolled by rouge Klingons.
I've always liked the Oberth and the Miranda classes. Unfortunately in STO they don't last long in a fight. The Rhode Island is a nice upgrade. My daughter was still using it at Captain level until recently.

I have a Joined Trill Science Officer on the Fed side and a JT Engr on KDF side. They have good skills and make nice looking characters.

Old January 26 2012, 09:41 AM   #776
Rocketeer
Captain

I use the Borg tribble in the Defari Invasion. Doesn't seem to help much though...

You need to try the cannibal tribble. Send me an ingame msg if you want one.

On a whim, I started a new character. Don't usually create female characters unless neccessary to access certain skills, but this one popped into my head - Kaylee the mechanic from Serenity. She's a Federation Engineer. My current FED Engr, Jho'dig, was my first character and I made some mistakes with him. I'm a little seasoned now, so should do better. Trying to get the new toon to look as much like the person as possible. Any of you artistic souls feel free to give suggestions for color or other settings. (like use A19 for hair, etc...) Thanks!

Preparations for 2nd anniversary party. Getting Kaylee ranked up to test drive the new ship. Locate partypoppers or procure new ones. Ensure all characters have Fire Extinguishers and Biothermal Dampeners. Etc...

Is the Spatial Charge a one time use item? I forgot that I had it until I saw a character use one in ESD. Thanks.

Last edited by Rocketeer; January 26 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old January 26 2012, 11:11 AM   #777
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

I just hit the rank of Captain yesterday and here's my new USS Hyperion, Defiant class. Really cool ship.

Old January 26 2012, 11:20 AM   #778
Methos

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

Rocketeer wrote: View Post
Kaylee the mechanic from Serenity. She's a Federation Engineer. My current FED Engr, Jho'dig, was my first character and I made some mistakes with him. I'm a little seasoned now, so should do better. Trying to get the new toon to look as much like the person as possible. Any of you artistic souls feel free to give suggestions for color or other settings. (like use A19 for hair, etc...) Thanks!

hmm intriguing... i'll have a go and see what i can do for this

M
Old January 26 2012, 11:46 AM   #779
Methos

Kaylee?

head - humanoid 1
skin - a1
makeup1 - m14
Base Complextion - Standard 01
Tattoo - none
Eyes - A1 & A6
Hair - Long close bangs - E23
Snine - 50%
Eyebrow - Thin 1 - E21
Eye - none
Head - none

M
Old January 26 2012, 11:55 AM   #780
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Not really.... That one looks not caucasian.
I din't really have any more interest in alternate toons, but the idea of a whole Firefly crew has some appeal.
Would be a tactical heavy crew.
Mal and Zoe soldiers (tac), Jayne security (tac), wash could be tactical as the pilot, but I see him more as OPS (engineering), Kaylee of course engineering, Simon medical Sci, Inara counselor (sci-controller), no idea for Book and River would be a total wild card.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote