RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,359
Posts: 5,503,349
Members: 25,122
Currently online: 662
Newest member: Carach

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old January 21 2012, 03:04 AM   #676
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine
 
Methos's Avatar
 
Location: Hiding under Gaila's bed...
View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Admiral, requesting permission to rename the planet below "Planet Doughnut"



M
__________________
In Russia, a 122 year old man has passed away, he credited his long life to abtaining from alcohol, tobacco and women. His last words were "I've made a huge mistake."
Methos is offline  
Old January 21 2012, 11:31 AM   #677
SilentP
Commodore
 
SilentP's Avatar
 
Location: is in a very lonely Corner of the Circle
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Methos wrote: View Post
Fire Weapons - 2 x Phaser Array Mk VII, 2 x Photon Torphedo Mk VII

Aft Weaposn - 3 x Phaser Array Mk VII

Shields - Covariant Shield Array Mk VI

Tactical Consoles - Prefire Chamber Mk VI (+8.8 all energy damage), Directed Energy Distribution Maniforld Mk IV (+7.5 all energy damage)

And with all that, i can't even bring one ships shields down, let alone scratch the hull... either something is seriously wrong with my weapons, or i've found a big bug in the game

M
Quoted for emphasis.

That particular console won't boost your weapons, because it's for cannons and not for beam weapons I'd suggest switching that out for a Photon Detonation Assembly to boost your torps or a Phaser Relay to boost your beams.

Also, something you'll find about having 2 torps in the same arc is that you won't be firing them as often as you think, as firing one resets the timer on the other (though not as long as a single torp reloading after firing), so you may find you're firing slower on the torps than you expected. I'd perhaps go with switching it around for one of your rear arc Beam Arrays. That way you've still got the same broadside and you can cover your rear with torps as others have suggested.

You may want to fit an RCS Accelerator Console into one of your Engineering slots, that way your brick will have a bit better turning circle. My suggestion would be to replace that centre console (I'm guessing its the one that gives you a slight boost to one of your power settings?) for said console.
SilentP is offline  
Old January 21 2012, 11:37 AM   #678
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

SilentP wrote: View Post
Methos wrote: View Post
Fire Weapons - 2 x Phaser Array Mk VII, 2 x Photon Torphedo Mk VII

Aft Weaposn - 3 x Phaser Array Mk VII

Shields - Covariant Shield Array Mk VI

Tactical Consoles - Prefire Chamber Mk VI (+8.8 all energy damage), Directed Energy Distribution Maniforld Mk IV (+7.5 all energy damage)

And with all that, i can't even bring one ships shields down, let alone scratch the hull... either something is seriously wrong with my weapons, or i've found a big bug in the game

M
Quoted for emphasis.

That particular console won't boost your weapons, because it's for cannons and not for beam weapons I'd suggest switching that out for a Photon Detonation Assembly to boost your torps or a Phaser Relay to boost your beams.

Also, something you'll find about having 2 torps in the same arc is that you won't be firing them as often as you think, as firing one resets the timer on the other (though not as long as a single torp reloading after firing), so you may find you're firing slower on the torps than you expected. I'd perhaps go with switching it around for one of your rear arc Beam Arrays. That way you've still got the same broadside and you can cover your rear with torps as others have suggested.

You may want to fit an RCS Accelerator Console into one of your Engineering slots, that way your brick will have a bit better turning circle. My suggestion would be to replace that centre console (I'm guessing its the one that gives you a slight boost to one of your power settings?) for said console.
He has twi Mk VIII phaser relays now. One is even a green... And switched a front torp with a rear phaser. He is also no longer running the defensive power preset. Works better now.
Timelord Victorious is offline  
Old January 21 2012, 11:47 AM   #679
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Methos wrote: View Post
back in time? which mission?

i just did the ones with the Gateway last night... very fun

M
Its the one involving Devidians and some comet. I honestly don't even remember them, but the last mission was scary. And its very rare to find truly scary stuff in MMOs.

Oh and I made a second character, a Betazoid Doctor, to try out the science ships.
The "What Lies Beneath" mission. Yeah, that one made me jump when I played it. I'm just getting to that one on my alt, and I have no desire to play it again.
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline  
Old January 21 2012, 03:34 PM   #680
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

J. Allen wrote: View Post
intrinsical wrote: View Post
Methos wrote: View Post
back in time? which mission?

i just did the ones with the Gateway last night... very fun

M
Its the one involving Devidians and some comet. I honestly don't even remember them, but the last mission was scary. And its very rare to find truly scary stuff in MMOs.

Oh and I made a second character, a Betazoid Doctor, to try out the science ships.
The "What Lies Beneath" mission. Yeah, that one made me jump when I played it. I'm just getting to that one on my alt, and I have no desire to play it again.

I always try to play that one around Halloween.
Hartzilla2007 is offline  
Old January 21 2012, 05:51 PM   #681
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral
 
RyanKCR's Avatar
 
Location: RyanKCR is living here in Allentown
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

I've just installed it but cannot get connected. I'm playing the free version and keep getting:

Connection to login server timed out.

Anyone have any ideas?
__________________
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to.....I guess."
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
"Not all treasure is sliver and gold, mate."
RyanKCR is offline  
Old January 21 2012, 05:55 PM   #682
Blamo
Fleet Captain
 
Location: UK
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Snoopy wrote: View Post
I've just installed it but cannot get connected. I'm playing the free version and keep getting:

Connection to login server timed out.

Anyone have any ideas?
The server is down for a 1 hour maintenance, it should be back in about 10 minutes. Seems to be a daily occurrence this week.
Blamo is offline  
Old January 21 2012, 05:58 PM   #683
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral
 
RyanKCR's Avatar
 
Location: RyanKCR is living here in Allentown
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Ah, thanks. Just bad timing on my part.....
__________________
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to.....I guess."
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
"Not all treasure is sliver and gold, mate."
RyanKCR is offline  
Old January 21 2012, 06:28 PM   #684
intrinsical
Commodore
 
intrinsical's Avatar
 
Location: Singapore
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Blamo wrote: View Post
Snoopy wrote: View Post
I've just installed it but cannot get connected. I'm playing the free version and keep getting:

Connection to login server timed out.

Anyone have any ideas?
The server is down for a 1 hour maintenance, it should be back in about 10 minutes. Seems to be a daily occurrence this week.
That's the thing with MMOs especially when they introduce major changes. Things never go 100% according to plan and they have to make emergency tweaks. The number of server maintenance should subside in a month or so.
__________________
USS Sentinel, Luna Class (STO)
intrinsical is offline  
Old January 21 2012, 07:40 PM   #685
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Wow after turning the half resolution option off the game looks way better I can even make out the detail of the Enterprise Uniform rank pips now.
Hartzilla2007 is offline  
Old January 21 2012, 08:04 PM   #686
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral
 
RyanKCR's Avatar
 
Location: RyanKCR is living here in Allentown
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

I've gotten on and started playing. I think I need to tweak the resolution because it is very slow.
__________________
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to.....I guess."
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
"Not all treasure is sliver and gold, mate."
RyanKCR is offline  
Old January 21 2012, 08:14 PM   #687
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Wow after turning the half resolution option off the game looks way better I can even make out the detail of the Enterprise Uniform rank pips now.
Wait, you played all this time with HALF resolution?!?
Didn't you ever wonder about our screenshots looking way better?
Timelord Victorious is offline  
Old January 21 2012, 09:35 PM   #688
JRS
Fleet Captain
 
JRS's Avatar
 
Location: Brno, Czech Republic
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

I am now two missions away from completing the Klingon War storyline. Has been a blast This game is much better than Champions Online( though its a good game, too.)
(Had to replay one mission, because it some reason could not continue after I logged back in..well, that was a small nitpick and I had fun the second time around)
I also was shooting some Gorn ships to pieces..and salvaged some new weaponry.

I think that Lt.Commander Gilmore deserves a holiday, so I maybe head to Risa later..or to a club, where I can wear my new off-duty clothes.
I have learned to love my escort and It looks good now, after I replaced the Saber-class nacelles with other ones,earlier
__________________
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline  
Old January 21 2012, 09:47 PM   #689
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Wow after turning the half resolution option off the game looks way better I can even make out the detail of the Enterprise Uniform rank pips now.
Wait, you played all this time with HALF resolution?!?
Didn't you ever wonder about our screenshots looking way better?
Honestly I had always though that it was a hardware issue like I needed a better graphics card I didn't even know you could change the resolution until someone mentioned it in a comment for the F2P trailer on Youtube.

JRS wrote: View Post
I am now two missions away from completing the Klingon War storyline. Has been a blast This game is much better than Champions Online( though its a good game, too.)
(Had to replay one mission, because it some reason could not continue after I logged back in..well, that was a small nitpick and I had fun the second time around)
I also was shooting some Gorn ships to pieces..and salvaged some new weaponry.

I think that Lt.Commander Gilmore deserves a holiday, so I maybe head to Risa later..or to a club, where I can wear my new off-duty clothes.
I have learned to love my escort and It looks good now, after I replaced the Saber-class nacelles with other ones,earlier
After playing with my Eng alt who uses a Defiant retrofit I am seriously considering using an escort on my Tac alt if the Odyssey isn't all that, seeing as they seem to do more damage.
Hartzilla2007 is offline  
Old January 21 2012, 10:46 PM   #690
SilentP
Commodore
 
SilentP's Avatar
 
Location: is in a very lonely Corner of the Circle
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post

He has twi Mk VIII phaser relays now. One is even a green... And switched a front torp with a rear phaser. He is also no longer running the defensive power preset. Works better now.
Nice to hear it's working out better

Just been playing with a Tac alt, seeing if I like the escort play style when working from the ground up. Have to say I'm liking the aggressive playstyle quite a bit, though I figured I might enjoy it after playing with Klingons and their 'every ship has cannons' gameplay Up to the Akira now, and got a theme of naming all my ships after pirates. Also the chance to see other Science powers that are available has me intrigued to give them a go at some point.
SilentP is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
mmorpg, onlne, star trek online, sto

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.