RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,819
Currently online: 480
Newest member: Werner Bitterli

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old June 4 2014, 05:45 PM   #4651
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Timelord Victorious wrote: View Post
After being more or less finished with my sci/sci build and tac7cruiser build I am thinking about rolling a new engineer.

But I don't want a traditional build, since engineer/cruiser can be a bit boring I was thinking maybe try something I never did in all those years and make him a carrier captain.

Anyone got experience with that combo?

How good would that be at DPS. how flexible would it be to switch to a heal or tank role on a team?

not many carriers available, right?

The Kitty Carrier is the only one easily available on Fed side, Romulan doesn't have a true carrier, right?

I guess, if I run n Atrox I would make it a Caitian crew, which sounds fun

Since I can't make a Tholian crew the tholian carrier is out of the question.

But I could make a Jem'hadar themed ship? For how much do they go these days?

Any other good choices you would recommend?
I tried a carrier build on my KDF engineer with the Tholian carrier, and while I decided it wasn't for me, here are a few things I learned.

- Carriers don't stop on a dime, so there's a learning curve in getting them in and out of the fight.

- Your fighters are your main method of DPS. I had to think defensive about my carrier.

- A strong hull and strong shields were very important. Buffs to those were a must.

- The turn rate is terrible for them. You can either use consoles to increase the turn rate, or equip cannons / turrets and prepare to do a lot of broadside fighting with your ship.

- I tended to keep my carrier at maximum range in a fight and let the fighters do all the work.

- There is a lockbox trait called Wing Commander that you will want to use:

An affinity for coordinating attack patterns among small craft allows you to deploy your Hangar Craft with increased effectiveness.

+100% Rank Up XP for all Hangar Pets
(This reduces the total time it takes to reach Rank 5 by half.)

- Also look into the Caitan Flight Deck Officer DOffs. One has the power to reduce the recharge time on hanger bays, so you can relaunch your ships faster. Others can increase carrier pet accuracy in the various modes.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 08:27 PM   #4652
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

I have the Atrox and I love that it gives a different type of gameplay, but you need to be aware there are many downsides.

The ship's turn rate and inertia makes movement clunky. It only has 6 weapon slots but is not considered a science vessel so it does not receive the Sensor Analysis although it does get Beam Target Subsystem abilities. So the Atrox depend heavily on fighters to contribute to its overall dps, otherwise they can be weaker than science vessels in terms of damage output. All this combined sometimes makes me just slot transphasic torpedos and turrets, autofire at 9-10km range and focus on sciencey stuff and healing teammates.

I have learn over time that I prefer durable fighters that can last for at least 30 seconds or longer in combat. Any fighter that gets destroyed in under half a minute quickly becomes a nuisance, forcing me to constantly launch new fighters and monitoring the hanger launch cooldown timer. So that rules out low-hull fighters like Delta Flyers, Peregrines, Tholian Widows, Obelisk Swarmers, Catian Stalkers and Romulan Scorpion Fighters. Repair Units only heal shields, and in my opinion they don't heal enough. Which means at least for myself, the only viable hanger is the Runabout and they don't do a lot of damage but they do well in slowing down opponent ships.

If you have the ec to spare and want a good carrier experience as a Fed, get either the Tholian Recluse or Jem'Hadar Dreadnaught. They are much, much better carriers than even the Fleet Atrox for the simple reason that they can launch durable and strong frigates.
Old June 4 2014, 08:36 PM   #4653
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

I have started a jem'hadar crew, so the goal is the Dreadnaught Carrier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot_2014-06-04-21-38-34.jpg (126.8 KB, 14 views)
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 09:37 PM   #4654
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Different subject: Bought my Romulan a Scimitar the other day, and not quite happy with the loadout/spec yet. Anyone have ideas on optimal loadouts to get this thing really moving? Doesn't have to do eleventy-million DPS or anything, but would like to see more punch.
~snip~
Whoa, you have a lot of senior staff.
Old June 5 2014, 02:49 AM   #4655
Scout101
Admiral

I'm a busy Fleet Admiral, I shouldn't have to handle the day to day operations of my ship

or, just been playing since launch. and am lifetime sub. so whatever the number of extra slots that gives you, pretty much every time there's been a reward that gives out a BOFF, etc. And the Romulans may get one or two special ones to start with, so it just piles up. And because of the number of sets they've given out over the years, and the way the STFs used to work, pretty much everyone has a special gear loadout to use (or store). Crappiest guy's probably still got MACO XI gear
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 02:07 PM   #4656
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

In that case, I hope you have lots of ec
Old June 5 2014, 04:40 PM   #4657
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

And the Undine T5 rep fix goes live today Yay!
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 05:27 PM   #4658
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Yeah, If I have a goal to work for I can get the EC in a reasonable time frame.
Already have a seller who will sell for a fair price within the fleet.
So no escalating exchange price which could easily mean 50% more.

Tour the Galaxy, here I come! XD
Old June 5 2014, 05:41 PM   #4659
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Yeah, If I have a goal to work for I can get the EC in a reasonable time frame.
Already have a seller who will sell for a fair price within the fleet.
So no escalating exchange price which could easily mean 50% more.

Tour the Galaxy, here I come! XD
Oh I don't mean the Jem'Hadar Dreadnought. That's the cheaper part of equipping a Jemmie Dread. The most expensive component is getting a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship to unlock them as a carrier fighter.

There's a revamped Borg featured episode that rewards a random purple personal kit. Each kit is worth at least a mil. That's what I would be farming for ec.
Old June 5 2014, 05:42 PM   #4660
Scout101
Admiral

grinding the summe event and selling the favors usually nets good money as well, especially in the first week or so when people want the new toy immediately. I usually pocket 5-10 mil during an event if I'm around for it
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 06:28 PM   #4661
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

yeah, but the attack ship is not a requirement for the carrier, though surely nice to have.
Using other fighters will do for starters. Esspecially since I only know managing pets from Vesta/HEC play which is more like a launch and forget kind of gameplay really.

When I can manage regular fighters I might invest into the bugs... if I can get a good price for them.
Old June 6 2014, 12:16 PM   #4662
JRS
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JRS

I have to say I find the Summer Event much for fun than the Winter Event,
its somehow relaxing to just fly around and so on.
The new powerboards are fun also.

I do want beach volleyball and some water pistols for next year..
( and keep the current stuff ofc)
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 02:40 PM   #4663
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

I just have to say I'm loving the power board race. Loads of fun. But I hate the end of the race. Trying to click on the flag at the end has become so frustrating. I have run the race six times so far, and have only picked up the prize twice.

I keep stopping short, and then over shoot the mark and then am disqualified. I swear my neighbors must think I am insane for screaming in frustration all by my self.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 03:08 PM   #4664
Palladin5
Captain

I'm really liking the summer event. Seems like the revisions are working well. (unlike the winter event) Some in my fleet mentioned how it feels slower to them but thats because there is more to do in the rotation. I like the variety.
Palladin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 02:40 AM   #4665
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma

I have a trick for nabbing the flag; just as you pass the finish line, power down the power board. This stops you in place, usually in range of the flag.

It helps to steer with the mouse and have one finger on the hot key for your action tray, and one on F to grab the flag.

You may need a few practice runs to get the hand of it/range-find.
Jim Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote