RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,704
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 432
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old March 18 2014, 12:19 PM   #4411
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Yeah, they are really milking this Dyson Sphere thing.

Interesting that they are throwing the Voth under the bus so quickly.

Also interesting the title of S9: A New Accord which hints at the end of the Federation/Klingon war which has been a cold war at best ever since level 45 anyway.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 01:34 PM   #4412
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

intrinsical wrote: View Post
I just had a go at the season 9 space battlezone on Tribble. It plays exactly like the current ground battlezone, except in space. Instead of Voth troops, you fight Undine ships which felt like tissue paper. I easily ripped through them. Instead of fighting 3 T-Rex bosses at the end, you fight 3 planet killers.
Is there a new reputation system tied to the new battlezone?
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 02:09 PM   #4413
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
I just had a go at the season 9 space battlezone on Tribble. It plays exactly like the current ground battlezone, except in space. Instead of Voth troops, you fight Undine ships which felt like tissue paper. I easily ripped through them. Instead of fighting 3 T-Rex bosses at the end, you fight 3 planet killers.
Not yet afaik, but is there ANY doubt there will be?
Old March 18 2014, 03:45 PM   #4414
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Timelord Victorious wrote: View Post
No doubt at all. The popular theory seems to be Undine reputation. I just hope they make it as simple as Voth reputation.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 06:05 PM   #4415
Scout101
Admiral

having a newer character that I'm leveling, the Voth rep IS much better. way less resource-intensive (not just marks, but XP and such as well) and goes faster. They need to go back and update the old ones (Omega, for example), as when you finish a tier, it's a 15 minute timer instead of 5 seconds for Voth, etc. And huge resource drag to buy stuff once you max out. Just finished Omega, and can't afford the Marks and XP to buy much of anything. Wasn't an issue on original toon, as had both maxed already, but for a new one, it's brutal.

Really want Adapted MACO set, but gotta aquire (at great cost) the regular set first, so gonna be a while...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 06:30 PM   #4416
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Timelord Victorious wrote: View Post

No doubt at all. The popular theory seems to be Undine reputation. I just hope they make it as simple as Voth reputation.
I can indeed confirm that it will be Undine reputation. I earned Undine Marks while I was in the battlezone.
Old March 18 2014, 06:44 PM   #4417
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Anyone else having trouble with the launcher? When I try to patch the Tribble install the launcher freezes and can only be shut down via task manager.
Can't even click on the launcher anymore.
Some people on the STO forum report the same thing.
Old March 21 2014, 05:46 PM   #4418
NX-01ftw
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have been thinking about buying a few things from the store but don't know if I should or not? I want to get some stuff from Enterprise. What is everyone's experience with purchasing things?
NX-01ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 06:39 PM   #4419
Scout101
Admiral

In general? Disappointment. Only time I feel like I'm getting any value is when I buy account unlocks. By that, I mean bank space, ship/BOFF slots, etc. Never felt all that tempted by most of the uniforms, and most of the ships just don't hold up long enough for the money you'd spend. Different if it's real money or Lifetime stipend, though.

Don't buy anything you can't use at endgame/level 50. Ships at the lower level still cost good money, and you'll only use them a week at most before you outgrow it and have to upgrade. If there's a ship or uniform you really like, sure, but make sure it's a T5 version. All these new 10k packages? Yikes, that's lots of real money...

if you're considering buying more than a thing or two, may be worth just laying out for the lifetime sub next time it goes on sale. You get a bunch of upgrades and perks, 400 zen a month stipend, and a decent endgame ship. Takes a while to pay off vice buying the stuff outright, but the monthly stipend does play out nicely, the veteran ship for every character is decent, and it's a decent package vice paying for things here and there.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33

Last edited by Scout101; March 21 2014 at 06:55 PM.
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 06:46 PM   #4420
NX-01ftw
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Scout101 wrote: View Post
In general? Disappointment. Only time I feel like I'm getting any value is when I buy account unlocks. By that, I mean bank space, ship/BOFF slots, etc. Never felt all that tempted by most of the uniforms, and most of the ships just don't hold up long enough for the money you'd spend. Different if it's real money or Lifetime stipend, though.

Don't buy anything you can't use at endgame/level 50. Ships at the lower level still cost good money, and you'll only use them a week at most before you outgrow it and have to upgrade. If there's a ship or uniform you really like, sure, but make sure it's a T5 version. All these new 10k packages? Yikes, that's lots of real money...
I was thinking to get the NX-01 to cruse with haha
Old March 21 2014, 06:57 PM   #4421
Levi
Lieutenant Commander

It's up to you if you have the money to spend. But the advice not to buy anything that cant help you at lvl50 is good advice.

Being a big trekkie, I've put in a bit of real money for zen. Mostly for account unlocks as well, but I have also purchased 2 ships so far. I've been happy with my purchases.
Personaly, I'm not sure I could spend money on anything like uniforms, though I would really like to get TNG uniforms. But I wont spend anything on that.
It's really up to you and what your willing to spend and put into the game. Buying the NX-01 to cruise around in would be fun but remember, whatever the cost of that ship, youre only going to get a very limited time of play to use it before its just not usable. I kind of look at it like a rollercoaster or some type of ride. Your paying to use it and its fun but it will be over soon and you dont get anything else back for what you put into it.
Just make sure you think it over before making any decisions.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 07:02 PM   #4422
NX-01ftw
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Levi wrote: View Post
It's up to you if you have the money to spend. But the advice not to buy anything that cant help you at lvl50 is good advice.

Being a big trekkie, I've put in a bit of real money for zen. Mostly for account unlocks as well, but I have also purchased 2 ships so far. I've been happy with my purchases.
Personaly, I'm not sure I could spend money on anything like uniforms, though I would really like to get TNG uniforms. But I wont spend anything on that.
It's really up to you and what your willing to spend and put into the game. Buying the NX-01 to cruise around in would be fun but remember, whatever the cost of that ship, youre only going to get a very limited time of play to use it before its just not usable. I kind of look at it like a rollercoaster or some type of ride. Your paying to use it and its fun but it will be over soon and you dont get anything else back for what you put into it.
Thanks. Im close to adding a new ship so I might just wait and see what it is. Right now I am at level 15.
Old March 21 2014, 07:11 PM   #4423
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Well, the NX is a decent starter ship and the bundle (not sure if that is still available) comes with the NX uniforms for both regular and mirror universe and I think a shuttlepod pet.

The NX class comes with a grappler universal console which you can still use on other ships if you like.

While it is unique visually with the fired cable hooks it works like a weak tractor beam power and is not entirely unseless even at endgame if you need an additional motion debuff on a single enemy.

If you decide to get it and it's still available go for the bundle.

A better investment from a gameplay standpoint would be the Steam starter pack, though. It comes with a T1 and T5 Steamrunner class ship with really powerful abilities.
Old March 21 2014, 07:12 PM   #4424
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

NX-01ftw wrote: View Post
Levi wrote: View Post

Thanks. Im close to adding a new ship so I might just wait and see what it is. Right now I am at level 15.

Then you are already past the main usefulness of the NX class.
Old March 21 2014, 07:23 PM   #4425
Levi
Lieutenant Commander

NX-01ftw wrote: View Post
My personal advice would be to not bother buying anything until 50, or 40 at the earliest. Simply because you need to learn the game and figure out what you really need. Its easy to spend money on things you think you need and then to find out right after you didnt need to.
IMO you should do 1 character up first. If you decide to make another character, then that would be a good time to buy low level items, should you choose to!
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote