TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old February 21 2014, 07:29 PM   #4276
JRS
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Next ship might be the Constellation class, the saucer has already been leaked and been usable by some players on their Stargazer ships and actually looks great again
Yeah, I saw the saucer also on a ship last week. Looked good to me.
That is something I am willing spend Zen to for sure. I just hope its a T5 ship and not T3( the bridge from Stargazer would be nice too..but doubt we get it).

There seems to be some new Defiant-class skins coming also(?), seen in this youtube video:

http://youtu.be/83B_zluOv_8
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
Old February 21 2014, 09:34 PM   #4277
DarkHorizon
Captain

Heh. Got to the Hobus mission on my new toon, and was preparing for the final, epic battle with the Sithesh. First close-range pass, I got caught by the tractor beam, and so prepared for the plasma torpedo spam of death (I was out of my Grav Well/Tyken arc, so had no quick defence). Hit Brace for Impact, and got ready to respawn. Unfortunately, the warbird had grabbed me far too close, and his own torpedoes took him out!
Old February 22 2014, 01:42 AM   #4278
syberghost
Commander

View syberghost's Twitter Profile

Timelord Victorious wrote: View Post
So, still waiting for a Cryptic Original that I would be ok with seeing in an actual canon Trek production.
Canon's in the eye of the beholder. CBS drums it into Cryptic's heads that they consider STO to be the prime universe canon now. I'm told they're quite emphatic about it.
Old February 22 2014, 02:03 AM   #4279
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri wrote: View Post
No chance in hell will I be buying those Dyson ships. Way too much for too little return. I've purchased a few ships, but never a three-pack. And yeah, the material on these ships is not nice. I have a feeling that they will not sell well at all. Only the die-hard collectors who have to have everything will be realistically looking at them.

I did get the free ship, one of each version, and will probably use it regularly on one character.

Oh, and I have to say that the mirror heavy cruiser is a surprisingly good vessel. I picked one up off the exchange for a Fed engineer I was leveling, and have really enjoyed it. Didn't use the Constellation saucer--I didn't think it went with the other parts very well in the ship tailor. Gone now, of course.
What are the stats?
Same boff layout as the Support Cruiser retrofit, better turn rate. Lt Commander science boff is nice for grav well.

Hull:36,000
Shield Modifier:1
Weapons:Fore 4 Aft 4
Crew:500
Bridge Officers: CMDR Eng; Lt Cmdr Sci; Lt Eng; Lt Tac; Ens Tac
Device Slots:4
Consoles: Tac 3 Eng 3 Sci 3
Turn Rate:8
Impulse Modifier:0.15
Inertia rating:30
Bonus Power:+5 all power levels
Old February 22 2014, 02:39 AM   #4280
intrinsical
Commodore

syberghost wrote: View Post
So, still waiting for a Cryptic Original that I would be ok with seeing in an actual canon Trek production.
Canon's in the eye of the beholder. CBS drums it into Cryptic's heads that they consider STO to be the prime universe canon now. I'm told they're quite emphatic about it.
Ouch. If that is CBS's view, then it has a lot of implications about the future of Trek as we know it.

For instance, it kinda imply that no new show will be set in the prime universe simply because a prime universe show will have to respect the "history" of not just TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT, but also included the events of STO. And I don't see it happening if STO still has an ongoing and unfinished story to tell since the show cannot step on the toes of STO's "canon" story.

And if these are supposed to be canon stories, I demand better stories!
Old February 22 2014, 03:32 AM   #4281
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

If someone at CBS were to decide that it's time for a new prime universe Star Trek television show, do you honestly think they're going to give two shits about what stories have been told in STO?

TV or movie media will always trump the game, so I wouldn't worry at all about that.
Old February 22 2014, 08:01 AM   #4282
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Yeah, I think they consider the current Trek literature canon before anyone thinks of STO.
It's a fun enough game and cool that several actors are reprising their roles, but if the Enterprise F an crew of Captain Shon ever make an appearance outside the game I'll eat my head. (and tie in media to promote the game doesn't count).
Old February 22 2014, 12:37 PM   #4283
intrinsical
Commodore

Look, the only reason they would say something like this if they have no more interest in continuing the prime universe. None. At. All.

And this is not Paramount Pictures who we already know are invested in the JJ-verse. This is the CBS who is in charge of the television show side of the business. Sure, they can change their mind and ignore their statement that "STO is canon". But they will only do that when they are very desperate... when the next few JJ-verse movies AND the JJ-verse television show were total flops. And I don't think that will happen. Which means, the prime universe is well and truly gone and all we have left of it is Cryptic.
Old February 23 2014, 12:28 AM   #4284
Levi
Lieutenant Commander

Wondering if you all could help me. Trying to figure out which ship to go with. I now have two ships to choose from, and I don't want to keep going back and forth or having to spend the EC and time to re-train my Bridge Officers and to swap equipment.
Right now it's between my Fleet Battle Cruiser with a Anti-Proton set up, and my Dyson Science Destroyer, probably with the same Anti-Proton set up?
The Battle Cruiser has better hull, and I like the 5 front weapons. But the Science Destroyer has the Dual Heavy Proton Cannons (424.3DMG - 282.9DPS) and I personally really like the ability to switch between Tactical and Science modes. And the Secondary Deflector is a nice bonus.

Any input and advice would be helpful! Thank you!

Last edited by Levi; February 23 2014 at 12:40 AM.
Old February 23 2014, 01:02 AM   #4285
Ruaidhri
Commodore

As far as this choice goes, Levi, I think it comes down to how you want to play. Some fun, high end science abilities and versatility, or point and shoot.

If you had access to high-end proton weapons, I could see the Dyson destroyers being pretty powerful. Is anything like that available through the Dyson rep? I haven't even looked at buying anything from it.
Old February 23 2014, 04:20 PM   #4286
Scout101
Admiral

Personally, vote for the battle cruiser. As fun as the SCI abilities are, it's a DPS game, so more hull and more front weapons is the winner...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old February 23 2014, 06:22 PM   #4287
Levi
Lieutenant Commander

Thats pretty much where I sit! Im really loving all the abilities of the Science Destroyer, which I am using now. But I remember the DPS and defence with the Fleet Battle Cruiser.
I think if I was just flying around doing missions and exploring still I would want to use the SciDestroyer. But right now all I am mostly doing with this character is PvE for Fleet marks for my fleet.
I was going to switch but the Heavy Proton Cannons on the Destroyer are so killer, made me think to ask for some feedback
Probably will go back to the Fleet Battle Cruiser!
Old February 23 2014, 06:55 PM   #4288
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

I have to say, I am really satisfied with my science ship. I have found a good balance between heals and messing powers.
I have the photonic fleet trait which means I can summon extra DPS most if the time when needed and enjoy being able to be true support ship in a team with throwing heals and neutralizing enemies.

It's the grind culture that makes this a DPS game.
But since I don't grind anymore I can allow myself to fly non boring, cool ships.
Old February 23 2014, 07:06 PM   #4289
Levi
Lieutenant Commander

It's the grind culture that makes this a DPS game.
But since I don't grind anymore I can allow myself to fly non boring, cool ships.
Thats fair. I normaly like to just cruise around and play with teams, which is why I wanted the Science Destroyer.
I just happen to be on the grind right now because I want to get my fleet to a higher level

Ive decided Im going to swap back to the Battle Cruiser for now while I work on the Fleet holdings. I also have another character I am leveling for just DPS for this sort of stuff. Once I get him leveled Ill go back to my Science Destroyer.
I appreciate the feedback on this, helped make my decision lol. Cheers!
Old February 23 2014, 07:37 PM   #4290
Scout101
Admiral

Not really the 'grind culture' that makes DPS important; it's that almost every end game mission involves 'kill x number of things in y amount of time'. SCI powers are fun in a team environment, but less fun when the clock expires due to lack of firepower...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Closed Thread