RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,701
Members: 24,832
Currently online: 401
Newest member: eltonlight

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old December 21 2012, 03:58 PM   #2911
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

I was also having trouble with the main PWE site earlier. Might be a PWE problem rather than Cryptic.
Jim Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 04:03 PM   #2912
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

The Game is still working.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 05:43 PM   #2913
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

Heh... Must have been the End of the World for PWE at least.
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 07:45 PM   #2914
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Yep - get the same error when trying to access ANY PWE or PWI run website. Good to know game access is unaffected.

Edited to add:

Interestingly enough the Beta STO Gateway site still works too.

Last edited by Noname Given; December 21 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 12:08 PM   #2915
Rocketeer
Captain

Has anyone else tried the Klingon Honor Carol mission (A Christmas Carol in Klingon)?

Dev Branflakes was chatting about it, so I gave it a try. It's an interesting diversion. (I posted a couple of pix in the screenshot thread.)
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 04:34 AM   #2916
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Has anyone got the Vesta yet? I was thinking about splurging as a Christmas present for myself, but I don't know if it's really worth it--especially since I only play this game part-time.

It does look really nifty, and I am a huge fan of the Destiny books, but I don't know if I should bother for just the pure vanity. I can always just way till the fleet gets to level V and get the LRSVr upgrade.

Also, I just saw about the old featured series thing. The BOffs aren't that big of a deal to me and I already have a Shard of Possibilities and that seems more novelty than practical. But according to some on the forums, the Ophidian is mandatory for Elite ground STFs. I've never used one so I don't know how useful it really is. But from what I can tell from the tool tip, it's pretty much just a short channeled hold with added HoT. Is it really worth it to go back and play those quests again to get one for a couple of characters?

Rocketeer wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg,
I have mild carpal tunnel from working on computers most of my life; however, it's compounded by arthritis. I use the ASD keys and arrow keys at the same time. Try to shift back and forth between the hands. It helps me. You could also try a gaming keyboard. Some tilt the keys so there's less stress on your wrist. I have a Fang pad which I use if I'm planning on doing heavy duty combat. It's a loose pad that connects by USB so you can place it or tilt it to suit your needs. You can map controls to the keys so everything is in easier reach.

Some players that I've talked with like the Nostromo Gaming Keypad.
Hope this helps.
Well I tried to force myself to just playing with the keys for a few days, and I just can't do it. Maybe it's the digital toggle nature of them, but I always end up with really jerky movement. I always found myself retreating back to the mouse.

I have been thinking about a gamepad, but I keep telling myself that if I were to spend that kind of cash on a gaming gizmo, it would be a 12-button mouse.

I actually found an old PS2 controller with USB adapter and plugged it in. The left stick worked great and the control was natural and smooth. But I couldn't get any of the other buttons to work. (Might have been due to its age.)

Maybe for the best though. I mean after you account for all the necessary piloting functions, you're only left with 4-6 buttons for skills. One would have to do some excessive keybind scripting to get everything to fit.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 09:09 AM   #2917
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

The fleet won't reach Tier 5 anytime soon so you're going to have a very long wait if you want the Fleet LSRV. I don't have the Vesta but from looking at the specs, its a drool-worthy ship especially if you get the 3-Vesta bundle. As for the Ophidian Cane, I wouldn't say its a must-have item for any content. However, it is a good item for Tactical and Engineering officers who have limited options for self-healing. The cane is also good in oh-shit situations when the team is getting overwhelmed by many foes.
Old December 23 2012, 12:21 PM   #2918
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

The cane is worth it. It has a very high controll ability that only fails against the toughest bosses and their hold resists and the more enemies you hold, the better is the heal. You can manage without, but having it, will make everything that bit easier.
Same for the shard... It isn't such a lifesaver as the cane, but the two shard copies you summon are tougher than your average security redshirt and can draw focus fire away from you.

You don't have to play the entire Feature Series, just the final episodes to pick up the Bonus rewards.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 02:22 PM   #2919
Rocketeer
Captain

I've already said my thoughts on the Ophidian Cane, but I'll add this. It works best if you have BOFFs, turrets or allies close enough to blast the crap out of the enemies while you have them lifted in the air.

The Tier 5 LRSV was what I was hinting about also. Although from what I hear on the chat channels, no fleet has made Tier 5 yet.
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 04:14 PM   #2920
Hanover Fiste
Rear Admiral

Is there still a way to get the ophidian cane? I thought it was removed as a mission reward on those Devidian episodes.
Old December 24 2012, 04:16 PM   #2921
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Could somebody tell me what the gun in this picture is?

The one that isn't the flurry.

I know it isn't the best quality image because for some reason i can't get the screenshots to work.
Old December 24 2012, 04:19 PM   #2922
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Hanover Fiste wrote: View Post
Is there still a way to get the ophidian cane? I thought it was removed as a mission reward on those Devidian episodes.
Their doing a replay of the featured episodes, so its available again until the 17th of January.
Old December 24 2012, 08:56 PM   #2923
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

They have a rerun of all FEs at the moment, so you can get it again for a limited Time.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 11:02 PM   #2924
Hanover Fiste
Rear Admiral

Giggity!
Old December 24 2012, 11:28 PM   #2925
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Could somebody tell me what the gun in this picture is?

The one that isn't the flurry.

I know it isn't the best quality image because for some reason i can't get the screenshots to work.
I think that's the 29th century rifle from the Lodi store
Aeolusdallas is offline   Reply With Quote