Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 9 2011, 12:15 PM   #1
Greystone_06
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Metamorphosis

Just rewatched this episode, I'm not ashamed to say that it always leaves tears in my eyes. It's such a moving story. Star Trek at its best.
Greystone_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Metamorphosis

It, and "Is There in Truth..." are high on my list of favorites.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2011, 11:29 PM   #3
scotpens
Vice Admiral

"Metamorphosis" is probably one of my ten favorite TOS episodes, though it does have its share of weak points. Glenn Corbett comes across as rather wimpy as the rejuvenated Zefram Cochrane. And I don't quite buy his disgust and revulsion when told that the noncorporeal Companion is female and loves him. I mean, I could understand if it was a slimy buglike thing with tentacles, but it's just a cloud, for Christ's sake -- it doesn't even have a body!

I like the idea of Commissioner Nancy Hedford and the Companion merging into a single entity -- very science-fictiony, for lack of a better term. But that creates a rather large plot hole. If Kirk and crew kept mum about what happened, how did they explain Hedford's disappearance?

One plus is the lushly melodic score by George Duning, who also did music for "Return to Tomorrow," "Is There In Truth No Beauty?" and "The Empath."
Old September 10 2011, 04:33 AM   #4
Valin
Rear Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post

I like the idea of Commissioner Nancy Hedford and the Companion merging into a single entity -- very science-fictiony, for lack of a better term. But that creates a rather large plot hole. If Kirk and crew kept mum about what happened, how did they explain Hedford's disappearance?

The Commish was dying. Kirk and crew just had to say that she died. They didn't want to share the shuttle with a rotting corpse, so they spaced her body.
Old September 10 2011, 09:43 AM   #5
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Valin wrote: View Post
they spaced her body
Shuttlecraft have no apparent airlock.
T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 03:04 PM   #6
Forbin
Admiral

One plus is the lushly melodic score by George Duning, who also did music for "Return to Tomorrow," "Is There In Truth No Beauty?" and "The Empath."
That might be a factor in my liking it. Is There in Truth... may be my favorite Trek score.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 03:24 PM   #7
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Valin wrote: View Post
they spaced her body
Shuttlecraft have no apparent airlock.

Better to just stick to the truth as much as possible. The shuttle was marooned on a planetoid, she died before the Enterprise found us, so we buried her on the planetoid . . . .
Old September 10 2011, 03:46 PM   #8
Timo
Admiral

Why stop there? The truth could carry farther than that.

"We were stranded on a planetoid. It turned out this was because a weird space monster had grabbed us. It took possession of Commissioner Hedford's body. As far as we could determine, nothing at all was left of Hedford herself. At that point, we managed to withdraw and, well, here we are."

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 06:17 PM   #9
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

"We were stranded on a planetoid, Commissioner Hedford died, and since we were running out of food ..."
T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 08:36 PM   #10
scotpens
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
“We were stranded on a planetoid, Commissioner Hedford died, and since we were running out of food ...”

“With a body full of Sakuro's disease germs? Eccch!”
Old September 10 2011, 08:47 PM   #11
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
Why stop there? The truth could carry farther than that.

"We were stranded on a planetoid. It turned out this was because a weird space monster had grabbed us. It took possession of Commissioner Hedford's body. As far as we could determine, nothing at all was left of Hedford herself. At that point, we managed to withdraw and, well, here we are."

Timo Saloniemi

Hmm. The problem there is that some curious scientist is bound to want to investigate this reported new life-form, or Starfleet is going to want to do something about this dangerous creature that is hijacking Starfleet shuttles. Or, worse yet, Hedford's family isn't going to believe that she can't be saved and demand some sort of rescue mission. Or at least have lots of awkward questions for Kirk about how their sister or daughter came to be left behind.

Yes, I know that Nancy claimed to have a loveless existence, but she seemed to be talking about romantic love. She's bound to have a concerned family somewhere, who are probably going to want more of an explanation than "Oh, she was possessed by an alien cloud, so we ditched her on a planetoid."

Since she was already dying anyway, why muddy the waters by mentioning the Companion? Just report that some sort of weird ionized cloud threw the shuttle off-course and she died of a fever before she could rescued. Simple, straightforward, and no loose ends.
Old September 10 2011, 10:03 PM   #12
Timo
Admiral

The problem of a navigation hazard would still remain - unless we assume that the route our heroes took from Epsilon Canaris III to the Enterprise was an exceptional one, and nobody else could reasonably be expected to use it again. But Starfleet and the Federation did seem to be taking an interest in the affairs of that planet. Could Cochrane and the Companion hope to hide from a navigational hazards survey that checked out the asteroid belt?

Kirk being forced to dump the body would be a reasonable explanation if the shuttle run was expected to last for more than a few days, or ended up lasting that long due to the diversion. But the episode doesn't give that impression. And even the stardates given seem to comply for once, showing only about point five units of progress from our heroes' first attempt at taming the Companion (Hedford was still quite alive at that point) to their eventual rescue. Kirk would probably have to alter these details for his log, and for Scotty's - assuming Scotty didn't inform Starfleet already during the search.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 11:37 PM   #13
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

"We dropped her off on Ceti Alpha V, so she could open diplomatic relations with Khan."
Old September 10 2011, 11:38 PM   #14
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

And I don't quite buy his disgust and revulsion when told that the noncorporeal Companion is female and loves him. I mean, I could understand if it was a slimy buglike thing with tentacles, but it's just a cloud, for Christ's sake -- it doesn't even have a body!
It was really normal. There was a level of intimacy there that he thought was not sexual. Assuming you're straight, imagine if your best buddy, the one to whom you tell everything, suddenly reached over and kissed you hard on the mouth. Suddenly your conception of the entire relationship, from inception on, changes. You feel betrayed and violated. You feel like your entire relationship with this person, who has shared your intimate thoughts, has been a lie.
Makes sense to me.

Last edited by A beaker full of death; September 11 2011 at 03:22 AM.
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 11:47 PM   #15
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

^ "So, Spock, about that Vulcan mind-meld thing you're always doing . . . ?"