TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 1 2011, 03:19 AM   #76
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

Re: Die Hard V - Not Looking Good...

That's just Smith trying to lay blame for the stinker at someone else's feet. Smith has had, maybe, two good movies and the rest are either meh or ass.

As for Willis? He was great in The Expendables, Hostage, Tears of the Sun, Sin City, Hart's War, Unbreakable and pretty good in LFODH, Surrogates and Red. Admittedly, some of those are like 10 years old. He's also made a shit-ton of movies I've never even heard of -he might be good in those. Assassination of a High School President? WTF?

Also, on a related note... Expendables 2, is that cast list on imdb someone's fantasy draft or are those like confirmed players? Chuck Norris? Van Damme? Hells yeah!
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2011, 04:42 AM   #77
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
I just watched Red today at a friends house and it got me thinking:

When was the last time Bruce Willis really, honestly tried to act? And when was the last time he was paired with a director who was able to get a good performance out of him?
I agree. I like Bruce Willis, but he just seems like all he does is play "Bruce Willis" now. The last movie, for me, that had him go outside his current box was The Sixth Sense (although, to be fair, I haven't seen all of his movies over the past ten years).
Old November 1 2011, 10:13 PM   #78
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ Well, I hope you know that I don't fall into that bracket.

I'd be quite happy for McG to make DHV. He's at least got his own style and the action scenes in T:S were excellent.
I think so. I understood your post to mean you like T:S.
I was just also saying it's a film bashed unfairly, not linking you with that. Sorry for any confusion.

Base_Delta_Zero wrote: View Post
Also, on a related note... Expendables 2, is that cast list on imdb someone's fantasy draft or are those like confirmed players? Chuck Norris? Van Damme? Hells yeah!
Those are for real. Here is a set pic with Norris and some of the returning cast.

Related to E:2, during some stunts last week sadly a stunt person was killed another injuried
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 04:46 AM   #79
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

That's awful about the casualties. Awesome about Norris and Co.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2011, 03:54 AM   #80
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Stalkers wrote: View Post
Ideally Die Hard needs a good solid action director, as has been said they don't need anyone oscar worthy, but they are in the upper strata of ation fims and the writer/director should be commensarate with that.
Can we please clone James Cameron? Please tell me we have the technology to do that!

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
IMO it's the same people who bitch about Terminator 3 & 4 or nuTrek.
I love nuTrek and liked T3 and T4 (I even prefer Salvation to T3, for what it's worth). I don't hate DH4.0, I even bought it on DVD. It's an okay movie with some great sequences, but it's just not a patch on its predecessors, even Die Harder. Jarod Russell's analysis of it earlier was spot-on, IMHO. Okay is not good enough for Die Hard - the original is the best action movie ever IMHO and, prior to 4.0 letting the side down, it had been the best action franchise ever (I think Mr Bourne has now stolen the title).
I don't know about the Bourne films being better than the Die Hard films. The Bourne Ultimatum leaves me cold. And The Bourne Supremacy committed a cardinal sin of sequels when they

I thought X-Men Origins: Wolverine was pretty good considering its limitations as a prequel and an origin story. It actually grows on me with repeat viewings, although it's still nowhere near as good as X-Men, X2, or X-Men: First Class.

The Terminator sequels mostly just suffer from being not directed by James Cameron, the man with the midas touch.
Old November 3 2011, 10:24 AM   #81
Starkers
Admiral

^Pretty much sums up my opinion of the Bourne sequels, shame as I really like the first one.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2011, 12:39 PM   #82
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

http://www.deadline.com/2011/11/die-...o-four-actors/

it's being reported that casting for McClane Jr is down to 4 actors.

They're Liam Hemsworth, brother of Thor star Chris, Aaron Paul, so good as Jessie in Breaking Bad (but tv scheduling may be against him), James Badge Dale (who's already done action sidekick in season 3 of 24, where he played Jack's CTU partner Chase Edmunds) and DJ Corona, who's currently shooting GI Joe 2.

For my money, Aaron Paul is probably the best actor in the bunch, but it's hard to imagine him as Bruce Willis' son. Hemsworth is perhaps the most convincing in that regards. Dale is fairly reliable but even though he's only 31, he looks older (IMHO, he looked about 30 when he was in 24 nearly a decade ago) and that may go against him. McClane Jr should probably be about 30, given that the character looked about 8 or 9 in the original movie, made in the late 1980s.

Corona, to me, does not look in the least like Willis.

One thing that occurs is I hope they avoid the cliche of MrClane Jr being a whiny, useless brat who's estranged from his Dad (though Aaron Paul would probably excel in that role). In DH and DHWAV, John was estranged from his wife, in DH4.0 he was estranged from his daughter. And the plotline of the hero being estranged from his offspring has been done in everything from 24, to the Gene Hackman/ Matt Dillon movie Target, to Grand Torino to Taken.

It would be nice and actually a little daring if McClane Jr wasn't an asshole and whiny brat but was actually a decent young guy like his Dad before him; if he and John actually had a good relationship at the start of the movie and didn't have to patch up their differences while saving the world. Yes, I know conflict creates drama but maybe the writers should challenge themselves and come up with a new way of creating drama for McClane Sr and Jr.
Old November 5 2011, 05:29 PM   #83
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Hemsworth would seem to be a leading contender. His last name could carry some weight + he's working on Expendables 2 with Willis. Assuming Willis has any input on the casting.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2011, 06:56 PM   #84
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ The article seemed to think he did have an input.

I'd also expect that he would. In DH3, he brought along Jackson, his Pulp Fiction co-star, while he was also supposed to have nixed David Thewlis as the baddie for that movie. The studio wanted Thewlis, after his award winning turn in Naked (he also looks more like Rickman than Jeremy Irons) but Willis insisted on a name actor, and got his way, with Oscar winner Irons joining the crew.

Willis also got on well with Ben Affleck on Armageddon and for a long time, Affleck was supposed to be joining the set of the fourth DH movie as Bruce's son/sidekick.

So, you could be onto something, if Hemsworth and Willis get on on the set of The Expendables, he's likely to land the role.
Old November 6 2011, 09:03 PM   #85
24thcenstfan
Commander

I really enjoyed the first couple of Die Hard movies, but I think they are trying to squeeze blood from a rock now.
Old November 7 2011, 03:36 PM   #86
Starkers
Admiral

http://www.deadline.com/2011/11/die-...o-four-actors/

it's being reported that casting for McClane Jr is down to 4 actors.

They're Liam Hemsworth, brother of Thor star Chris, Aaron Paul, so good as Jessie in Breaking Bad (but tv scheduling may be against him), James Badge Dale (who's already done action sidekick in season 3 of 24, where he played Jack's CTU partner Chase Edmunds) and DJ Corona, who's currently shooting GI Joe 2.

For my money, Aaron Paul is probably the best actor in the bunch, but it's hard to imagine him as Bruce Willis' son. Hemsworth is perhaps the most convincing in that regards. Dale is fairly reliable but even though he's only 31, he looks older (IMHO, he looked about 30 when he was in 24 nearly a decade ago) and that may go against him. McClane Jr should probably be about 30, given that the character looked about 8 or 9 in the original movie, made in the late 1980s.

Corona, to me, does not look in the least like Willis.

One thing that occurs is I hope they avoid the cliche of MrClane Jr being a whiny, useless brat who's estranged from his Dad (though Aaron Paul would probably excel in that role). In DH and DHWAV, John was estranged from his wife, in DH4.0 he was estranged from his daughter. And the plotline of the hero being estranged from his offspring has been done in everything from 24, to the Gene Hackman/ Matt Dillon movie Target, to Grand Torino to Taken.

It would be nice and actually a little daring if McClane Jr wasn't an asshole and whiny brat but was actually a decent young guy like his Dad before him; if he and John actually had a good relationship at the start of the movie and didn't have to patch up their differences while saving the world. Yes, I know conflict creates drama but maybe the writers should challenge themselves and come up with a new way of creating drama for McClane Sr and Jr.
Don't be ridiculous, how are they supposed to create any drama in a film full of gun wielding terrorists if father and son aren't estranged
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 03:59 PM   #87
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ It's Skip Woods writing, he probably won't be able to create any drama anyway... Must stop being so negative!
Old November 8 2011, 02:03 AM   #88
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Oh please Aaron Paul, don't waste your time on this nonsense. Since the franchise has already gone full-retard they should be casting a pro wrestler as little McClain. Either that or Shia LeBeouf.
Old February 22 2012, 09:08 PM   #89
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

‘Spartacus’ Alum Jai Courtney Lands Coveted ‘Die Hard’ Lead

A prolonged search has ended, and 20th Century Fox has set Jai Courtney to play the son of John McClane (Bruce Willis) in A Good Day To Die Hard, the fifth installment of the Die Hard franchise.
Old February 22 2012, 10:10 PM   #90
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Words cannot describe how I am not interested in this project.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote