Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 5 2011, 02:22 AM   #1
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

The Trouble With Tribbles

I've got to say to this date this episode has to be one of the best of TOS. While I was on break at work the other day, this episode was playing on television and it's got a lot of great humor in it. Especially when Chekov says the grain is a "vussian invention" and when Scotty told Kirk the reason why they got into the bar fight was the Klingons called the Enterpside a garbage scawl (i probably didn't spell that right but I don't care haha)

What was your favorite scene from this episode?
darkshadow0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 02:51 AM   #2
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

Re: The Trouble With Tribbles

My favorite scene is the whole thing where Scotty tells Kirk that he punched out the Klingon not because he insulted Kirk, but because he insulted the Enterprise. This is one of the most cleverly written episodes of the original series, and it's hard to believe that it was written by a college student with no previous writing experience. If you ever get a chance to grab Gerrold's book about writing this episode, it's a great read and almost as great a firsthand insight into the original series as Whitfield's book.
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 03:54 AM   #3
Wingsley
Commodore

Definitely an example of how underrated TOS is to this day. I love the humor. Too bad we didn't get to see the Enterprise pay more visits to K-7.
Old September 5 2011, 04:05 AM   #4
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

One of the few times Trek does funny and it is actually funny.

A favorite line:

KIRK: I have never questioned either the orders, or the intelligence of any representative of the Federation...

[pause, looking at Baris]

...until now.
Old September 7 2011, 04:51 AM   #5
cblmc1296
Commander

View cblmc1296's Twitter Profile

I love the entire exchange between the Klingon and Scotty & Chekov in the bar ... a great mix of humor both subtle and obvious as well as tension/excitement. I also think the music makes the whole build up to the punch. I wish they had used that same music when the scene was replayed in DS9 Trials and Tribble-ations.
Old September 7 2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Forbin
Admiral

If you'll excuse me, gentlemen, I have a ship to attend to.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2011, 03:45 PM   #7
TOSalltheway
Lieutenant Commander

I know this makes me odd man out, but I have always found Tribbles to be an embarassment. It was written at the level of a mediocre Three's Company episode. Juveline humor, poorly written at best. The writers and actors were bending over backwards to say "look at me, I am funny". For Trek humor that works check out " A Piece of the Action". Okay everyone, tell me how wrong I am.
TOSalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2011, 06:13 PM   #8
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

You're wrong.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2011, 06:30 PM   #9
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

TOSalltheway wrote: View Post
I know this makes me odd man out, but I have always found Tribbles to be an embarassment. It was written at the level of a mediocre Three's Company episode. Juveline humor, poorly written at best. The writers and actors were bending over backwards to say "look at me, I am funny". For Trek humor that works check out " A Piece of the Action". Okay everyone, tell me how wrong I am.
I think you have this totally backwards.
Old September 7 2011, 06:46 PM   #10
MacLeod
Admiral

From memory "A Peice of the Action" was the other episode the writers of DSN were looking at when it came to the 30th Anniversary episode. Had they not meet the actor who played Darvil in the original episode in a resaturant whilst discussing it I think they were going to go with "A Peice of the Action" as the back drop for the 30th Anniversary episode.

What ever you think about "Trials and Tribble-ations" it seems as if everyone working on it, wanted to make it as special as they good. Compare that to VOY 30th Anniversary episode "Flashback" whilst not a bad episode for VOY it seems as if the DSN people went that extra mile. Of course "Flashback" did have a rather large goof by even Trek standards, they killed off a crew member who is clearly visible at the end of ST VI, or was that his twin brother?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2011, 10:41 PM   #11
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

"Flashback" also botched the timeline rather horribly, showing that they didn't even bother watching ST VI past the opening five minutes.

From Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country:
SPOCK: Good morning. Two months ago a Federation starship monitored an explosion on the Klingon moon Praxis. We believe it was caused by over-mining and insufficient safety precautions. The moon's decimation means a deadly pollution of their ozone. They will have depleted their supply of oxygen in approximately fifty Earth years. Due to their enormous military budget, the Klingon economy does not have the resources to combat this catastrophe. Last month, at the behest of the Vulcan Ambassador I opened a dialogue with Gorkon, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council. He proposes to commence negotiations at once.
From "Flashback":
JANEWAY: So what happened? Did you go to Praxis?

TUVOK: No. We were warned off by the Klingons, and resumed our survey mission. However, two days later, we learned that two Starfleet officers were accused of murdering the Klingon chancellor. They were brought back to the Klingon Homeworld to stand trial. Captain Sulu had served under both officers for many years, and he felt an intense loyalty to them.
Kinda hard to respect the episode after picking up on that.
Old September 7 2011, 10:51 PM   #12
Terra Pryme
Fleet Captain

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
"Flashback" also botched the timeline rather horribly, showing that they didn't even bother watching ST VI past the opening five minutes. Kinda hard to respect the episode after picking up on that.
Well, it was pretty difficult respecting the whole Voyager series after they had an episode where crewmen turned into salamanders after going to Warp 10, so I feel for you.

DS9's "Trials and Tribble-ations" was much better.
Terra Pryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2011, 10:57 PM   #13
nightwind1
Commodore

TOSalltheway wrote: View Post
You're absolutely wrong, in every conceivable, measurable way. In many fan polls over the last 40 years, The Trouble With Tribbles is consistently ranked somewhere in the top 3-5 favorite episodes.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2011, 02:29 AM   #14
cblmc1296
Commander

View cblmc1296's Twitter Profile

Montgomery Scott's words of wisdom: "Everyone's entitled to an opinion."

I can't agree with TOSalltheway but, to be fair, it's really difficult to qualify what makes an episode good or bad in an objective sense. It's all subjective.

I happen to like Tribbles. The humor is OK but I enjoy it just as much for the fact that all the main characters have a good deal to do (save for Sulu who didn't appear). I always like episodes like that.
Old September 8 2011, 06:11 AM   #15
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Terra Pryme wrote: View Post
Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
"Flashback" also botched the timeline rather horribly, showing that they didn't even bother watching ST VI past the opening five minutes. Kinda hard to respect the episode after picking up on that.
Well, it was pretty difficult respecting the whole Voyager series after they had an episode where crewmen turned into salamanders after going to Warp 10, so I feel for you.

DS9's "Trials and Tribble-ations" was much better.
They had the advantage of 1) Ron Moore and Rene Echevarria knowing "The Trouble With Tribbles" backwards and forwards, cold, and 2) having David Gerrold on the set.

As for "A Piece of the Action", even the director, James Komack, only said the script was "okay", and wasn't all that funny; it was the Star Trek cast doing all this outlandish stuff that made it funny, along with the cast willing to show off their comedic chops.