New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 6 2011, 04:58 AM   #1291
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Timothy...you know they are messing around right?
At most it might crossover with another book or two depending on how Mary's agenda unfolds.

I hate getting in late on Wed and having not read any books yet.
Glad to read up thread that both Swamp Thing and Animal Man were again good reads. Looking forward to Swampy especially.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 01:01 PM   #1292
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Y
Broccoli wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
well, I paid so little attention to fucking Smallville that if you told me Zod was Clark's father in that version I'd have to believe it.
Well...in a way...

Seriously though, judging by this and other posts you've made regarding Smallville, you seem to have so much contempt for a show you never really watched. This strikes me as less Dennis and more...another poster.
I watched it perhaps ten times - I've broken up with people after a lot fewer dates than that, to put this crap in perspective.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 02:45 PM   #1293
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Finally read All-Star Western last night and loved it; it felt like the weightiest of the books in terms of length. I really liked I, Vampire (which even after the good reviews surprised the hell out of me).

Admiral Young, learning that Skeets is stilla round was a good reveal; but we also had in-text confirmation that the UN has never tried a JLI type team before now. I think that was only implied before. I'm still not sure I like the new JLI: Ice's dialogue in particular seems off. I could live with Ice being different; but the dialogue is just bad (she's the most glaring example, but only Booster, Guy and Godiva sound like real people who haven't learned English from a machine overnight). Vixen actually says "that's my native Africa" at one point: given the criticisms Batwing's received for "small continent" syndrome, this seems just as glaring.
Old October 6 2011, 03:30 PM   #1294
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Maybe she just wants to do the things we never had.

Last edited by Myasishchev; October 6 2011 at 03:54 PM.
Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 09:43 PM   #1295
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Seriously, how does Rob Liefeld stay employed?
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 09:48 PM   #1296
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Seriously, how does Rob Liefeld stay employed?
Last night I was bagging up a few hundred 30-year-old Marvel comics and I was wondering the very same thing. I don't recall ever hearing of half the artists in those comics, yet they were all competent. Liefeld couldn't have gotten arrested in that era. WTF happened?
Old October 6 2011, 09:54 PM   #1297
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I was at the comic store and looked at the cover for "Hawk and Dove" and just groaned. The cover alone pretty much epitomized everything I've seen, and heard, about his art over the years. It's like it's still 1993 and he's doing the same style of art. Compared to the art in comics like DC, AC and pretty much all of the other titles with DC and it's all fabulous.

Then there's... Rob.

Ugh.

Then I look at his picture on his Wikipedia page and he reminds me of just a goober. You know who he reminds me of? Remember that episode of "Friends" where Monica meets up with, and dates, a guy she knew from high school but could never date him because she was fat? When she's on the date with him she discovers, while in his late-20s, he's still very much like he was in high-school. Lives with his parents, still has the same car he did then and still has the same job in a movie theater and boasts he can "get free posters for your room."

That's Rob Liefeld.
Old October 6 2011, 11:37 PM   #1298
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Something like this wasn't wholly unexpected for September, I suppose, and as everyone likes to point out this is a marathon rather than a sprint. Nonetheless:

The following information will be most likely released tomorrow. But Bleeding Cool has an inside track.

For September 2011, the DC Relaunch, DC Comics had a 35.74% share of dollars spent on comics and graphic novels.

And Marvel had a 35.37% share.

It’s a half point difference, but considering earlier in the year, DC were double figures points behind Marvel, it’s a remarkable shift.

But the biggest change is in the actual number of comics and graphic novels sold. In that, DC had a massive 43.04% marketshare, over five points ahead of Marvel on 37.88%.

The only time DC has been ahead of Marvel in any form for decades was last December, when the Dark Knight comic saw DC take 33.07% in product marketshare to Marvel ‘s 32.28%, but Marvel kept dominance in dollar share with 39.9% to DC’s 36.99%. And in subsequent months, DC’s sales and revenue plummeted, until the middle of this year when they slowly started to regain ground.

The dollar numbers are so close that Marvel can be expected to resurge pretty quickly - or more to the point, the nuDC tide just needs to roll out a bit for those numbers to flip. What will be more interesting is how far and how quickly the number of copies sold slide back.
Link
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2011, 12:56 AM   #1299
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The Huntress #1. I imagine this is a book that got lost in the shuffle, since it's not part 0f the "New 52." But it has a decent enough creative team (Paul Levitz, who created the original Huntress, is writing, and Marcus To of Red Robin is on art), and I've always liked the Helena Bertinelli Huntress (she has a lot of "edges"), so I gave it a shot.

The story is just kinda "there." Helena has gone to Italy to intercept a shipment of weapons being smuggled to Gotham, and then she gets drawn into hunting down a human trafficking ring. A couple of dialogue moments suggest to me that it was planned for pre-Flashpoint, and the costume she wears is the Jim Lee-designed costume but without the bare midriff (in other words, it's a variant that a number of artists have used over the past five years), but because the Bat-verse didn't reboot to the same extent, it still "fits."

Really, the reason to get this is Marcus To's artwork. He draws a seriously lovely Helena Bertinelli, in either guise.

And that's the thing. This book "feels" like Red Robin. It's a globetrotting Red Robin kind of story, with Red Robin's artist.

If you like the Bat-books and you're looking for something different than "just another adventure in Gotham," Huntress wouldn't be a bad choice.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2011, 01:08 AM   #1300
C_Miller
Captain

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Something like this wasn't wholly unexpected for September, I suppose, and as everyone likes to point out this is a marathon rather than a sprint. Nonetheless:

The following information will be most likely released tomorrow. But Bleeding Cool has an inside track.

For September 2011, the DC Relaunch, DC Comics had a 35.74% share of dollars spent on comics and graphic novels.

Itís a half point difference, but considering earlier in the year, DC were double figures points behind Marvel, itís a remarkable shift.

But the biggest change is in the actual number of comics and graphic novels sold. In that, DC had a massive 43.04% marketshare, over five points ahead of Marvel on 37.88%.

The only time DC has been ahead of Marvel in any form for decades was last December, when the Dark Knight comic saw DC take 33.07% in product marketshare to Marvel Ďs 32.28%, but Marvel kept dominance in dollar share with 39.9% to DCís 36.99%. And in subsequent months, DCís sales and revenue plummeted, until the middle of this year when they slowly started to regain ground.

The dollar numbers are so close that Marvel can be expected to resurge pretty quickly - or more to the point, the nuDC tide just needs to roll out a bit for those numbers to flip. What will be more interesting is how far and how quickly the number of copies sold slide back.
Link
Marvel does charge a dollar more per their books and they released I think like 88 books last month. These numbers aren't too surprising to me.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2011, 01:12 AM   #1301
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Detective Comics #1: An interesting book if a bit grizzly towards the end.

Detective Comics #2: It's okay, but I'm not sure I'm liking the overall tone of this book series or the take on the character. My interest is a bit piqued on the new heavy they're introducing (Dollmaker) and what will happen with Commissioner Gordon.

Action Comics #2: This one was pretty good and I like the continuation of what it's doing with Superman.
Old October 7 2011, 01:34 AM   #1302
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

C_Miller wrote: View Post
Marvel does charge a dollar more per their books...
Marvel is starting a program that they hope will eventually lead to customers getting a free digital copy of any $3.99 paper comic that they buy.

The project/experiment begins wit the release of Avenging Spider-Man #1.
Old October 7 2011, 01:45 AM   #1303
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The Huntress #1. I imagine this is a book that got lost in the shuffle, since it's not part 0f the "New 52." But it has a decent enough creative team (Paul Levitz, who created the original Huntress, is writing, and Marcus To of Red Robin is on art), and I've always liked the Helena Bertinelli Huntress (she has a lot of "edges"), so I gave it a shot.

The story is just kinda "there." Helena has gone to Italy to intercept a shipment of weapons being smuggled to Gotham, and then she gets drawn into hunting down a human trafficking ring. A couple of dialogue moments suggest to me that it was planned for pre-Flashpoint, and the costume she wears is the Jim Lee-designed costume but without the bare midriff (in other words, it's a variant that a number of artists have used over the past five years), but because the Bat-verse didn't reboot to the same extent, it still "fits."

Really, the reason to get this is Marcus To's artwork. He draws a seriously lovely Helena Bertinelli, in either guise.

And that's the thing. This book "feels" like Red Robin. It's a globetrotting Red Robin kind of story, with Red Robin's artist.

If you like the Bat-books and you're looking for something different than "just another adventure in Gotham," Huntress wouldn't be a bad choice.
DC is wasting Marcus To with Paul Levitz.

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post

It’s a half point difference, but considering earlier in the year, DC were double figures points behind Marvel, it’s a remarkable shift.

The only time DC has been ahead of Marvel in any form for decades was last December, when the Dark Knight comic saw DC take 33.07% in product marketshare to Marvel ‘s 32.28%, but Marvel kept dominance in dollar share with 39.9% to DC’s 36.99%. And in subsequent months, DC’s sales and revenue plummeted, until the middle of this year when they slowly started to regain ground.
Link
I think the dollar share reversal back to Marvel probably will occur this month.
Old October 7 2011, 02:17 AM   #1304
C_Miller
Captain

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
C_Miller wrote: View Post
Marvel does charge a dollar more per their books...
Marvel is starting a program that they hope will eventually lead to customers getting a free digital copy of any $3.99 paper comic that they buy.

The project/experiment begins wit the release of Avenging Spider-Man #1.
Why does getting a free digital copy of the same comic I already bought make it any better? I don't have an Ipad or anything like that. Maybe that's why.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2011, 02:56 AM   #1305
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

It's a little weird, yeah. I mean, I guess it'd be nice if my house burned down or something.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote