The Next Generation Shower Curtain
By: T'Bonz on May 1

Burton Part of Roots Reboot
By: T'Bonz on May 1

May-June 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 30

Ross To Attend Trek Convention
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old September 30 2011, 01:07 AM   #1066
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I think Morrison is at DC for the long haul now. Speaking of Grant...new "Action Comics" interview.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=34638

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2011, 01:40 AM   #1067
Mr Light
Admiral

View Mr Light's Twitter Profile

*sigh* I miss the old Superman. I really don't like him as a dick.
Old September 30 2011, 01:40 AM   #1068
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Well, I can imagine the freaking out if Grant Morrison bolted because he didn't like Didio's management. Since there are apparently rumors of much dissatisfaction and a "high profile defection" to Marvel in the works.
I hope it's JT Krul, but then Marvel probably doesn't want him. It's more likely either Jeff Lemire or Gail Simone.
Old September 30 2011, 01:51 AM   #1069
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Y
Mr Light wrote: View Post
*sigh* I miss the old Superman. I really don't like him as a dick.
Yeah, he hasn't been the same since Swan replaced Boring.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2011, 01:55 AM   #1070
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Miss Superman not acting like a dick? I guess Mr. Light isn't a big fan of Super Dickory! Besides which I've seen no examples in "Action Comics". Except maybe over kill on the heat vision glowy thing.

Old September 30 2011, 02:02 AM   #1071
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Superman standing up for the little guy = Superman being a dick.
Old September 30 2011, 02:14 AM   #1072
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ I guess so according to Mr. Light.

Old September 30 2011, 02:14 AM   #1073
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

He's not a dick. He is edging toward being a character again, though.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2011, 02:26 AM   #1074
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Indeed. I guess Mr. Light just doesn't see that though and interprets the characterization as Supes acting like a dick, which I don't see at all.

Old September 30 2011, 02:28 AM   #1075
Mr Light
Admiral

View Mr Light's Twitter Profile

He's not warm and cuddly the way he used to be. He's more hard edged now. So far we've seen him terrorizing small businessmen in Action #1... attacking Batman without provocation in Justice League #1... and he did something all meanie in Superman #1 I forget what it was... also I just read JL Dark #1 and he was standoffish there too.
Old September 30 2011, 02:30 AM   #1076
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

What? Are you talking about Glenmorgan? Did you read the issue right? We've yet to establish that Batman and Superman will actually fight in Justice League #2 yet.

Old September 30 2011, 02:31 AM   #1077
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
He's not warm and cuddly the way he used to be. He's more hard edged now. So far we've seen him terrorizing small businessmen in Action #1...
You mean a totally corrupt business man? Basically Lex Luthor without the real ability of world domination.

attacking Batman without provocation in Justice League #1...
Batman is sneaking around his town. Batman, in that same issue, took out a bunch of police choppers. Superman doesn't KNOW Batman at this point. Batman is a potential threat.

and he did something all meanie in Superman #1 I forget what it was... also I just read JL Dark #1 and he was standoffish there too.
Yeah... not really seeing it.
Old September 30 2011, 02:33 AM   #1078
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Dennis wrote: View Post
Since there are apparently rumors of much dissatisfaction and a "high profile defection" to Marvel in the works.
Johns and Lee can be safely dismissed; they're both DC Entertainment executives now.

Morrison won't bolt to Marvel; he's having too much fun playing with the mythology. Cornell isn't likely; I get the impression he felt burned by Marvel. I don't see Simone leaving, now that she's getting to write the Barbara Gordon Batgirl.

So, here's the four names that I think would be big if they left DC for Marvel:

Scott Snyder
Dustin Nguyen
Bryan Q. Miller
Paul Dini

Snyder or Nguyen would be huge shocks if they left for Marvel. Dini would be a shock just because he's so identified with DC thanks to his animation work. Miller? Maybe not a big shock, but I loved his work on Batgirl and I'm kinda hoping he'll do a DCnU Stephanie Brown book.

My hunch is that if there's a high profile defection in the works, it's someone further down the totem pole, a Nick Spencer-type.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2011, 02:35 AM   #1079
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Scott Snyder is my heir apparent for Grant Morrison though...he can't leave!

Old September 30 2011, 02:52 AM   #1080
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

SUPERMAN #1- Yeah, its a bit old fashion but I liked it. I hope we don't see Clarks news articles used as a narrative device again though. For the most part it was a pilot: we get the skinny on who's who and what's what in Superman's modern world. The GBS buying the Planet is an interesting nod to the same thing backing in the Seventies, though I looks like this time Clark is sticking with the Planet. Interesting that Clark isn't a superstar, awarding winning journalist this time around, instead is a guy who rarely lands on the front page. Which is probably a smart move,being a celebrity, even at the local level is not a good idea for a guy who doesn't wear a mask.

The SAVAGE HAWKMAN #1: I was prepared not to like this, but the art and story were suprisingly good. Still not sold on the costume as I'm not a fan of the "ooohh look how tough I am I got crazy sharp things on my costume" school of design. Internalizing the Nth metal is a pretty good idea. Carter Hall's background is mystery though. We know he was Hawkman and something happened that made him quit ( Sheira's death?) He not rich anymore since he was about to be evicted. He claims to be 100% human but our villain thinks otherwise.

AQUAMAN #1: Man that Ivan Reis sure draws purdy. I wish he was on Justice League or a Superman book. Over a pretty good blend of action and exposition. Though as other have pointed out, Johns trying a bit too hard to show Aquaman is cool. It looks like Johns is going the pure superhero route since Aquaman has cut ties with Atlantis and is staying in his fathers old lighthouse. Been a while since that approach was tried.

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #1: Lame name but a pretty good read. Milligan knows how to put a team together. He manages to show/intro all the future members while telling a story. It didn't read like an issue of the Brave and the Bold. (coughJustice League)cough. Milligan can get outthere sometime, a few issue of his books have left me scratching my head, but he seem in control here. The art was very well done. Gorgeous in spots.

TEEN TITANS #1: Here's where I contradict myself, yes this was basically Red Robin and Wonder Girl team up with Kid Flash on the fist few pages and Superboy showing up on the last page, but it works in a way that JL didnt. The story seemed more focused. The art was a little too 90s Imagey for my tastes but servicable.

ALL-STAR WESTERN #1- I haven't really followed Jonah Hex, but I know the basics. The change of local was the hook for me. Sort of McCloud or Coogans Bluff in the 1800s. That local is Gotham and a few familer names pepper the supporting cast doesnt hurt either. Team Hex with Amadeus Arkham reminded me a book I enjoyed a few decades back called the Alienist written by Caleb Carr. Like Arkham, Carr's protagonist was a proto-psychatrist hunting a killer in a large 19th Century city (NYC).

BATMAN DARK KNIGHT #1- Didn't care for it. Finch's art is muddy and dark. And judging from an upcoming cover he might be be working from a swipe file. The story didn't draw me in either. Something about an IA cop going after Bruce Wayne and uhhh, some other stuff. Yeah escapees from Arkham.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote