Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 28 2011, 11:12 PM   #991
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

sojourner wrote: View Post
I pulled about 10 of the new #1's total and have to say the art in most of them was terrible compared to the last time I got comics in the 90's. Did all of the artists forget how to draw with clean lines?

Supergirl's art was the most to my liking with Teen Titans coming in at #2.

And WTF? Blackhawks read like a bad G.I. Joe comic.
That would be because the writer writes for the GI Joe Cobra Comic, which is very good imo.

It's too bad that he hasn't been able to reproduce the same success that he had there with Blackhawks.
Old September 28 2011, 11:16 PM   #992
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Not only the eavesdropping but the apparent moping
Clark's a young man who doesn't like much of what's going on in his life right now.

Superman seems to be having a little better time of it; he's enjoying himself, and it's worth noting that becoming him is Clark's solution to not wanting to attend the Planet relaunch party.

Wonder if it will ever occur to Clark that he'd be happier just being Superman? The disappearance of the self he grew up as into the role he's acquiring ought to be both a concern and a temptation to him.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 11:19 PM   #993
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
I pulled about 10 of the new #1's total and have to say the art in most of them was terrible compared to the last time I got comics in the 90's. Did all of the artists forget how to draw with clean lines?

Supergirl's art was the most to my liking with Teen Titans coming in at #2.

And WTF? Blackhawks read like a bad G.I. Joe comic.
That would be because the writer writes for the GI Joe Cobra Comic, which is very good imo.

It's too bad that he hasn't been able to reproduce the same success that he had there with Blackhawks.
I heard a review of it the other day that made me wanna pick it up. Apparently Cobra Commander's dead and the rest of Cobra is vying for the job, but none of them really, actually want it? That sounds like gold.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 11:23 PM   #994
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

@Dennis, I understood the emotional context of the story. I don't really mind that at all and I did notice that he seems to be burying whatever is going on in his personal life when he's Superman which was interesting to me. I wish the dialogue was better...I did like the Planet staff and the Edge and Lois stuff. Not really sure I like this Jonathan Carroll guy but then we're probably not supposed to.

Justice League Dark was...kind of meh to me. Zee and Bruce's dynamic seemed off too me but I didn't mind Zee's redesigned.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 11:53 PM   #995
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I wish the dialogue was better...
So do I. This is an instance where we agree on that aspect.

A likeable Jonathan Carroll would create a far more interesting dramatic situation, wouldn't it?
Old September 29 2011, 12:02 AM   #996
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ I totally agree about that. I don't see the need to make him a douchebag right off the bat. You don't have to be a douchebag to be someone's rival.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2011, 12:17 AM   #997
sojourner
Admiral

The whole Johnathon Carroll scene reminded me of how Morgan Edge used to treat Clark in the 70's. It was very retro.
Old September 29 2011, 01:17 AM   #998
Mr Light
Admiral

Is it just me or do the vast majority of the DC #1s have no story in them? It's like brief character introduction, tons of splash pages for no reason, introduce baddy at the very end for a cliffhanger.

For example, GL:NG. It's basically a retread of Kyle's origin, and then he gets attacked at the end. That's it. Or Dark Knight #1. Bruce goes to a party. And then Arkham is broken open for the hundredth time. So inspiring. Or Aquaman #1. He fights some lame robbers and goes to a diner. Then some bad guys show up at the end. Oh and there plenty of splash pages for no reason

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2011, 01:34 AM   #999
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Flash had story.

Old September 29 2011, 02:00 AM   #1000
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I still love Manapul's art, but something is different this time around. The look is a little more gloomy whereas his earlier Flash run was brighter. I wonder how much of that was intentional versus the fact that Buccellato is coloring it this time around.

I also love how the title of the first issue of The Flash is "The Flash".

Dennis wrote: View Post
A likeable Jonathan Carroll would create a far more interesting dramatic situation, wouldn't it?
Paging Richard White!

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Flash had story.
As did Superman.
Old September 29 2011, 02:17 AM   #1001
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
I still love Manapul's art, but something is different this time around. The look is a little more gloomy whereas his earlier Flash run was brighter. I wonder how much of that was intentional versus the fact that Buccellato is coloring it this time around.

I also love how the title of the first issue of The Flash is "The Flash".
Could be worse: Ultimate Comics Ultimates.

Old September 29 2011, 02:17 AM   #1002
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Also picked up All-Star Western this week.

Aquaman > All-Star Western > I Vampire >>>> Teen Titans >>>> Blackhawks >> JLD

Firestorm and New Guardians turned out to be just as bad as I thought.

Biggest disappointment was Blackhawks. I was expecting so much more from Costa especially after his Cobra comic.

Aquaman and All-Star Western were easily the best. Johns was in top form in setting up the new status quo for Arthur and addressed what he wouldn't do with Aquaman. Hope he stays on a for along time for this book.

All-Star Western on the other hand is really a sudden departure for Hex. Instead of done-in-one stories set in the Wild West, it's now a multipart saga set in Gotham. Lots of nods to Gates of Gotham and also Arkham Asylum (Amadeus is Hex's Watson). I'm curious if the Court of Owls and the secrets of Gotham's past in Batman is going to connect with the stuff in ASW.
Old September 29 2011, 02:32 AM   #1003
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Is it just me or do the vast majority of the DC #1s have no story in them? It's like brief character introduction, tons of splash pages for no reason, introduce baddy at the very end for a cliffhanger.
Every book I've read has had a story - some simple, some more involved.

In fact, I think one of Superman #1's problems is a little bit of "pilot-itis."

Supergirl and Superboy are meant to introduce characters who as yet know nothing about their new worlds - it's all about their initial discovery of themselves.

Superman is about the whole new continuity of Supes and all the important parts of his world. Like a TV pilot, the story's job is (to use the cliche) to "show the viewer where the bathroom is."

Here's the city where Clark lives. Here's where Clark works. Here's how people see Clark, and how they see Superman. Here, in fact, is who Clark and Superman are right now. Here are all the important people in Clark's life, and here is how he relates to the most important one. And so on, etc.

It's all somewhat important for a new reader but, in the case of this character, perhaps even more important for us folks who already knew a different version of all of this.

As to Carroll's douche-atude - we don't know for sure that he's a bad guy at all; we know that he does come across as arrogant in his initial meeting with Clark. Well, hell, he's banging the drop-dead gorgeous Executive Veep of a huge media conglomerate, so maybe he's a little more self-impressed than he should be. And the very latest thing he's heard about Clark is probably that he's been very unpleasant to Lois today.

Also, though, there's a subtext - whatever Lois thinks, Jonathan immediately senses that Clark is a potential rival for her. Look at the three things he says as soon as the door is closed:
  1. "He's a lot taller than I thought he'd be..." - Yep. Also bigger in the shoulders and better looking, no doubt. A lot more everything, in fact, than Lois has seemingly let on - and she apparently has talked about him. Which leads to...
  2. "You and he ever...?" - He sure turned up at Lois's apartment pretty easily to mend fences, after all. So, is this a guy J.C.'s being compared to?
  3. "Maybe he's pining for you." - Still looking for information, a reaction - anything. Jonathan, let it alone about the whole Lois & Clark thing, okay? It's all you talk about.

Old September 29 2011, 02:34 AM   #1004
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Unless there was stuff other than in the preview I read, I still say Carroll comes off as a nice, pleasant man.

Which would actually be a good thing. If there's one thing I hate, it's the third act reveal of the antagonist suitor as a total prick. Exhibit Aleph: Run Fatboy Run. They spend all this time building Hank Azaria up as frankly a far better person than Simon Pegg, by any metric, and it's like they suddenly realize seventy minutes into the movie that he has to lose (for whatever reason, narrative convention I guess) and he starts acting like a dick for no reason.

I mean, if they needed to have Simon get the girl--you know, the girl he basely betrayed--it's not implausible that she simply chose him. People make mistakes all the time. Instead, they have to tear down Hank. It makes no one look better, and in fact only succeeds in making the female lead look worse, as being a poor judge of character, and Simon as someone who can only succeed against a abject villain.

This has nothing to do with Superman, does it?

Old September 29 2011, 02:41 AM   #1005
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Unless there was stuff other than in the preview I read, I still say Carroll comes off as a nice, pleasant man.
Yeah, I think people can easily read his few lines of dialogue in different ways. Probably the line that makes him seem a little braggadocio to some is his kind of possessive boasting about Lois's accomplishments and their celebration. Given the situation it's almost too much strutting - he's showing her off, to someone he's just met but who works with her, and who is he to do that?

Which would actually be a good thing. If there's one thing I hate, it's the third act reveal of the antagonist suitor as a total prick.
Absolutely agreed. For one thing, it makes Lois's eventual choice a foregone conclusion; the only reason she doesn't see yet that she's with the wrong guy is that she's naive or lacking some information. That is every pathologically shy would-be suitor's fantasy about the guy his object of affection adores, and in fiction it tends to be either bathetic or humorous (or both, ala Sandler's The Wedding Singer).