Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 28 2011, 09:33 PM   #976
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Gail Simone is the writer to write this Batgirl...it's just going to take people time to adjust to the book and probably not the way people anticipating seeing Babs back in costume. I wouldn't neglect "Batman" either it was arguably the best of the three main Batbooks.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 09:40 PM   #977
JD
Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
I'm really wanting to check some of more of these out, but I'm trying to keep myself under $25.
Here's the once I'm trying to decide between:
Batman, Detective Comics, or B&R
Batgirl or Batwoman
Action Comics, Superman, or Superboy
Suicide Squad or JLDark
The Flash or Green Arrow
Green Lantern, New Guardians, or Red Lanterns
Get GLC instead.
Oh.... that was supposed to be GLC. Nothing I've heard about GL really interests me that much.
Old September 28 2011, 09:57 PM   #978
Trek4Ever
Fleet Captain

Here's an annoying thing that happened to me. I went to the store today early to pick up a copy of Superman #1 and waited in my car until the store opened at 11. The minute it opened I went inside only to find out there were NO copies of that comic book! That was a big WTF moment for me, which is why I'm just going to buy the download later.
Trek4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 09:58 PM   #979
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Gail Simone is the writer to write this Batgirl...it's just going to take people time to adjust to the book and probably not the way people anticipating seeing Babs back in costume. I wouldn't neglect "Batman" either it was arguably the best of the three main Batbooks.
I liked what I heard about Bruce in Batman + Robin, deciding to stop crying about his dead parents and try to not be such a shitty father himself.

Notttt quite enough to buy it, though. Sorry, Bat-family = poison.

...Batwoman doesn't count!

Trek4Ever wrote:
Here's an annoying thing that happened to me. I went to the store today early to pick up a copy of Superman #1 and waited in my car until the store opened at 11. The minute it opened I went inside only to find out there were NO copies of that comic book! That was a big WTF moment for me, which is why I'm just going to buy the download later.
Yeah, one of the reasons I've switched to digital is that I had zero desire to try to negotiate a pull list. It's too much like a contract. Actually, it probably technically is a contract.

The only thing I'm sure I'm missing out on is Daredevil. You know what'd have been really weird and excellent? If the DC Reboot came from higher than it actually did, and the Gang of Four got kicked to the curb (or in Johns and Morrison's case, downstairs). I know whom I'd make my creative emperor.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 10:01 PM   #980
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

@Captain Craig I don't know how much you know about Morgan Edge but he's always been a bad guy. He's the secret leader of Intergang...
I know he's always been a bad guy. He's a 3rd tier baddie I know little about but that I did know. It's just another change for sake of change, not that it was needed. They seem to be doing that in some areas.
Oversexed Starfire
Skinny Amanda Waller

The comic shop 15min from work is sold out of Aquaman and Justice League Dark. Called the one near my house and they still have both so hopefully when 7pm CST gets here I'll still be able to get mine.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 10:05 PM   #981
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Superman #1 was better than I expected, but it's very traditional comic book. It really is reminiscent of something from twenty years or more ago, and it's not likely to attract much attention to the character.

The prose is leaden, and there's too much of the kind of dialogue discussed earlier. Also, as a reviewer at another site noted, Clark Kent's writing is awful and it resembles neither deadline or feature journalism in its structure and style.

Perez is probably not the guy to bring this book into the modern world. His layouts aren't interesting, and if he's going to keep doing the stories they ought to at least get another writer to do the narrative and dialogue.

The upsides are about what I expected, and a little more - the new status quo is better, and Clark is certainly a distinct personality in his values and attitudes from Lois and the others. It's easy to see the character Morrison is developing over in Action in this one. And it's nice to see that after five or six years human beings still don't know or entirely like him.

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
It's just another change for sake of change
All change is for the sake of change, period. People simply have feelings about it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 10:06 PM   #982
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Trek4Ever wrote: View Post
UPS doesn't come the instant the store opens.

I've got Superman #1 and TDK #1, will give them both a read tonight. Still waiting for Catwoman #1 to arrive at the store, DC #1 and Batman #1 through the mail.

I may pick up The Flash since a couple others here seemed to have liked it.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 10:15 PM   #983
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
It's easy to see the character Morrison is developing over in Action in this one. And it's nice to see that after five or six years human beings still don't know or entirely like him.
I didn't buy Teen Titans but I did read the preview; that shit is like straight up X-Men. HATE AND FEAR. It seems to be the big thing. Even the Flash has a subplot (that looks like it'll get quickly resolved, but you never know) about the Flash accidentally killing a guy.

He didn't, but I thought it was kind of neat that Barry Allen (as a CSI, he's a responder to the scene) is completely fucking nonchalant about the possibility that he did. That would be kind of great if intentional. Once a manslaughterer, always a manslaughterer, I guess.

Old September 28 2011, 10:22 PM   #984
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Even the Flash has a subplot (that looks like it'll get quickly resolved, but you never know) about the Flash accidentally killing a guy.

He didn't, but I thought it was kind of neat that Barry Allen (as a CSI, he's a responder to the scene) is completely fucking nonchalant about the possibility that he did. That would be kind of great if intentional. Once a manslaughterer, always a manslaughterer, I guess.
Supes is pretty nonchalant about threatening to throw the bad guys in their van into outer space. My impression is that it's an empty threat and that he's messin' with them - calling their bluff on blowing up the van if he drops it in the water. Really, the guys have to have balls to even banter with a superhuman dude that's yanked their vehicle off of the street and has them thousands of feet in the air.
Old September 28 2011, 10:23 PM   #985
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I flipped through "Superman" and frak me I liked some of it...I also liked the fact that Morgan Edge was the successor to Glenmorgan who was mentioned in Action Comics. I do hope that they hook Clark up with someone, or else this is going to give people "Superman Returns" vibes, it already did for me lol. I don't think I'm going to be following this though, I keep flip flopping on it

Old September 28 2011, 10:38 PM   #986
sojourner
Admiral

I pulled about 10 of the new #1's total and have to say the art in most of them was terrible compared to the last time I got comics in the 90's. Did all of the artists forget how to draw with clean lines?

Supergirl's art was the most to my liking with Teen Titans coming in at #2.

And WTF? Blackhawks read like a bad G.I. Joe comic.
Old September 28 2011, 10:38 PM   #987
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

I flipped through "Superman" and frak me I liked some of it...I also liked the fact that Morgan Edge was the successor to Glenmorgan who was mentioned in Action Comics. I do hope that they hook Clark up with someone, or else this is going to give people "Superman Returns" vibes, it already did for me lol. I don't think I'm going to be following this though, I keep flip flopping on it
Wait, it's like Superman Returns? I may be missing out.

sojourner wrote:
I pulled about 10 of the new #1's total and have to say the art in most of them was terrible compared to the last time I got comics in the 90's. Did all of the artists forget how to draw with clean lines?

Supergirl's art was the most to my liking with Teen Titans coming in at #2.

And WTF? Blackhawks read like a bad G.I. Joe comic.
Yeah, I read the preview for that and decided that if I wanted a G.I. Joe comic, I'd buy one, since they are available. COOOOBRRAAA LALALALALALALALALA.

On the art front, I dunno. Yeah, it hasn't been great... I'm trying to think of the books which really wowed me on art, and Batwoman and Flash are the only ones that come to mind, although a bunch like Legion Lost and Wonder Woman have basically pleased me.

Old September 28 2011, 10:44 PM   #988
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

He's referring to Clark apparently eavesdropping on Lois and Jonathan Carroll as he walks toward the elevator. I don't care one way or another about this kind of thing.

He's still quite the disheveled, ink-stained wretch we saw in Action, BTW - unruly hair, Harry Potter glasses and occasional sweater. I like the look.

sojourner wrote: View Post
...the art in most of them was terrible compared to the last time I got comics in the 90's. .
De gustibus non est disputandum.
Old September 28 2011, 10:44 PM   #989
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Aquaman #1 i really liked. the talking to fish and lame superhero jokes were good. i'll keep reading, though i've always liked Aquaman.

Superman #1 was really wordy. thats not always a bad thing, but with this comic it was. think i'll just stick with Action Comics.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 10:49 PM   #990
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Not only the eavesdropping but the apparent moping I love Superman Returns but I know there are fans who aren't particularly thrilled with that part of the movie.