Shatner Starts New Website
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Rumor Mill: Star Trek III Title
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Siddig: Getting And Playing The Role Of Martell
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Mulgrew: Why Born With Teeth
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old September 28 2011, 05:03 PM   #961
Mike Farley
Commodore

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I can't figure out how Marvel prices their books.

Avengers The Children's Crusade #7 was $4 for 22 pages of story.
Captain America #3 was $4 for 20 pages of story.
Heroes For Hire #12 was $3 for 20 pages of story.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 06:42 PM   #962
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Flash #1 was awesome! Then again, maybe I am just a little too much in love with Francis Manapul's art. By chance, I was able to get the variant cover (and the price wasn't jacked up at all!). That was kinda cool.

Superman #1
was a nice one-in-done story. Lots of panels per page, so that should make some people happy. The over-exposition wasn't nearly as bad as the preview made it seem in my opinion. I also think they tried a little too hard to make everything seem all hip and updated. Though the new direction is interesting, I felt it was presented in a "in your face/shove it down your throat" manner instead of having it roll-out in more of a smooth manner. Also, Morgan Edge is now black. Countdown to the internet exploding in rage in 3...2...1...
Old September 28 2011, 07:03 PM   #963
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Morgan Edge
Maybe Kirby fans would care. He's a lesser known Kirby creation.
If anything, if I were black I might roll my eyes. Make the black man the bad guy.

Morgan Edge is no Perry White

Been too busy at work to go at lunch and get the books I want.
Anyone read:
Aquaman, Justice League Dark or I, Vampire yet??
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 07:17 PM   #964
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Superman #1...The over-exposition wasn't nearly as bad as the preview made it seem in my opinion.
That's good to hear.

Though the new direction is interesting, I felt it was presented in a "in your face/shove it down your throat" manner instead of having it roll-out in more of a smooth manner.
Sounds like a lot of set-up.

Nothing I've heard about the new status quo and other revisions to this title bothers me a bit, though the presentation might.

Meanwhile, over in New Guardians #1 I hear that they've retconned Kyle Rayner's origin to the point that he was probably never the last and only GL at all. Works for me, but talk about teh Intarnets exploding!

I hadn't planned on picking up NG at all, but now maybe I'll have to check it out.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 07:52 PM   #965
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

By some amazing miracle (that is, I didn't blindly buy crap for the hell of it), I only managed to buy good books this week!

Aquaman. The Trench things are really cool-looking, and kinda scary; I question, given how much the scene where they eat people echoes Jaws, the decision to just show them in good lighting and out of the water so soon, but it's Geoff Johns. No subtly expected.

I found the attempts to make Aquaman cool to be little more entertaining than a forum post defending Aquaman with a bullet point list. I already know that Aquaman's cool, Geoffrey. Relax. Take it down a notch already. It's also very hard to believe that Aquaman would be an in-universe joke. Yes, he's no Superman. But by that same token, he could break your face. No skinny nerd's gonna give him shit like that right in front of him.

C+. I'd give it a B- if I could, but that's just not how my grading scale works and structure is important.

Firestorm. Really kind of great right up until the last few pages, which culminate in a cliffhanger without much inherent interest and feels like sub-Green Lanterny crap. It's like Gail Simone wrote the first 17 pages of script and then Ethan van Sciver wrote the last three, possibly because Simone was sick or something. Somehow this justifies his name on the cover. But it's not bad in a ruiny way, just a sort of "WTF? this might suck" way. Anyway, was Jason Rusch always kind of an asshole? He flat calls Ronnie Raymond a racist for pretty much no reason. I still like him though.

And some overlooked gems from previous weeks:

B+.

Demon Knights. Is fun! Buy it while it's still at full price so as to fill the coffers of Paul Cornell and the excellent artist whose name escapes me. Madame Xanadu is neat. This also reminds me I forgot to buy JL Dark, but you know what? Fuck it.

B+. It'd get an A, but fantasy sucks.

DC Presents Deadman. Yeah, this was totally off my radar till someone said it was depressing and I was like, "All right!" It is indeed depressing. Good book. Remember when Paul Jenkins wrote good, interesting comics, like The Inhumans and (the first several issues of) The Sentry? It's like that. Bernard Chang's a good artist, too, although maybe not the best fit for this story? Nah. My only real complaint is that the colorist seems to think this is the Flash. Ironically, I think the Flash' colorist seems to think his book is Deadman. Wake up!

A.

Back to this week:

I almost bought I, Vampire because the art is very, very inky in that way that I like--someone cloned Jae Lee--but I remembered I hated vampires, and of course the cover is hilariously goofy, but I'm not sure it's self-aware about it. I'm still really tempted and maybe I'll get it when it's cheaper.

NR.

Flash. Barry is still kinda dull but less dull than usual and while the mystery/weirdness Manapul and the guy who checks his spelling is setting up doesn't feel like a "#1" type of story, it's nevertheless pretty great. The art is gorgeous.

A, but it's four credit hours, and is therefore: BEST OF THE WEEK.

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Flash #1 was awesome! Then again, maybe I am just a little too much in love with Francis Manapul's art.
It's pretty gosh darned awesome, yeah.

Last edited by Myasishchev; September 28 2011 at 08:14 PM.
Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 08:25 PM   #966
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Here's all the Purple Lady appearances from this week's wave of books.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/...e-dc-universe/

@Captain Craig I don't know how much you know about Morgan Edge but he's always been a bad guy. He's the secret leader of Intergang...

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 08:54 PM   #967
JD
Admiral

I'm really wanting to check some of more of these out, but I'm trying to keep myself under $25.
Here's the once I'm trying to decide between:
Batman, Detective Comics, or B&R
Batgirl or Batwoman
Action Comics, Superman, or Superboy
Suicide Squad or JLDark
The Flash or Green Arrow
Green Lantern, New Guardians, or Red Lanterns
Wonder Woman or Aquaman
I'm still torn on Catwoman. I really want to check it out, but all of the stuff people have been saying about it have made me question if it's the kind of book I really want to support.
Old September 28 2011, 08:56 PM   #968
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Meanwhile, over in New Guardians #1 I hear that they've retconned Kyle Rayner's origin to the point that he was probably never the last and only GL at all. Works for me, but talk about teh Intarnets exploding!

I hadn't planned on picking up NG at all, but now maybe I'll have to check it out.
Naw - it hasn't changed.

As for Superman, I thought it was sorta of boring - yes some of the status quo stuff has changed but there isn't anything here that is desperately interesting.

Hickman's Ultimates was interesting but that is a different thread entirely....

The thing that made me laugh was Dark Knight, when

JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 08:56 PM   #969
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

DC is hiring Nielsen to survey their customer base.

These people are serious.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 09:00 PM   #970
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I'm really wanting to check some of more of these out, but I'm trying to keep myself under $25.
Batgirl or Batwoman
Suicide Squad or JLDark
The Flash or Green Arrow
Wonder Woman or Aquaman
I'm still torn on Catwoman. I really want to check it out, but all of the stuff people have been saying about it have made me question if it's the kind of book I really want to support.
Helpfully, I have made your decisions for you.

Treating each line as its own question, the ones that are bolded are the ones you should buy; the ones that are underlined are the books I have actually read. This of course means that I have recommended books which I have not read over other books which I have not read.

But there's no way I'd let something as petty as ignorance stop me from telling other people what to do.

Old September 28 2011, 09:13 PM   #971
JD
Admiral

Those were actually the ones I was leaning most heavily towards, but I'll probably wait for a few more responses before I make my final decision.
Old September 28 2011, 09:17 PM   #972
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

In all seriousness, you'd be missing out not to pick up Batwoman and The Flash, which are just beautiful, beautiful pieces of comic art; and I suspect you'd really be missing out, given the alternatives. I haven't read them, but reading about them, Batgirl's supposed to be kind of a mess and Green Arrow's supposed to be just blaaargh.

But, I know; I'm saying that there's a really good comic book about Barry Allen. It's weird, right?

Old September 28 2011, 09:26 PM   #973
byron lomax
Commander

I just read Justice League Dark and really enjoyed it. It packs a lot of plotlines that are obviously set to converge at a later time, and at some points the dialogue feels a little forced (the scenes involving the regular Justice League in particular - one gets the impression Milligan wants these guys out of the way so we can focus on the new team) but overall it was fun and pretty crazy. The issue was reminiscint of some of the early Morrison Doom Patrol stories, with bizarre, supernatural events coming out of nowhere and causing chaos everywhere.

Milligan is one of my favourite writers, but is also extremely hit-or-miss (in fact, one comic blogger recently tried to make the case that he's the SINGLE most inconsistant writer in all of comics) but his two reboot titles have started off well and I'm gonna stick with 'em.

Also read Snyder's Batman and was really impressed. I like how he writes Batman - the grim, one-note iteration is thankfully absent. I'm looking forward to seeing where this plot goes.
byron lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 09:27 PM   #974
JD
Admiral

I have been rather surprised by the reaction to Batgirl to be honest (the actual comic's contents, not the whole no more wheelchair thing). Granted I haven't read any of her stuff yet, but I was under the impression that everyone loved Gail Simone's BoP run, and that one of the highlights of that was her take on Babs.
Old September 28 2011, 09:32 PM   #975
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Batgirl or Batwoman
Suicide Squad or JLDark
The Flash or Green Arrow
Get GLC instead.