A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 1 2011, 03:27 PM   #76
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
There is nothing really in flashpoint that connects the two - the coda at the end could have existed all the time with the costumes simply redrawn and the two page spread drawn or redrawn for that purpose.
Exactly my feeling. If you aren't paying attention to the different costumes in those final five pages or so, you wouldn't realize that they were different at all, and I prefer to think that they take place in the DCU, not the DCnU.

For one thing, I think it's emotionally unfair to the audience for the finale to take place in an entirely new universe. The Bruce Wayne there is not a Bruce Wayne we would have an emotional connection with. He's "a" Bruce Wayne, obviously, but he's not "our" Bruce Wayne, the one that readers have been following for years. Giving a stranger the emotional closure that we get in the final pages of Flashpoint is wholly unearned.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2011, 04:42 PM   #77
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
^ Or last October as established in the relaunch thread. DiDio at the SDCC stated "October". He didn't state exactly when Oct.
No, but there was reporting back in November of 2009 about a big deal hush-hush creators retreat two years ago where cell phones, etc weren't allowed and big doings - including a Johns/Lee Justice League - were discussed. I'll assume based on the contemporaneous report that this was the genesis of it all and that Didio simply misspoke on the fly much later or that Newsarama misreported.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2011, 10:54 PM   #78
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I read JLA #1 last night and was underwhelmed. For a book that launches the "new age" they sure are doing business as usual from the old way ala "writing for the trade". Someone somewhere said it felt like an issue of Brave and Bold and I'd have to agree. Will the next feel more like an "Adventures" team up or Batman & the Outsiders?

So this takes place 5yrs ago and all the other #1's are going to be present day, with few exceptions aka Hex. I'd read the whole first arc is ready but someone said that issue #2 is solicited for 6/7 weeks later? Anyone veriify that? Cause if so that is crazy. I'd have pushed a JLA issue out each week during this relaunch month to really keep people coming back every week and show just how important the book is as a cornerstone to these "mythical new readers" DC is wanting to keep and maintain both at the retail LCS level and digital level.

I've already decided to wait for the TPB on this now. The comic industry is going to have to change how it pushes it's medium to the market. One aspect of our society that we all are accustomed is to "get it now". TV went to the format of showing hot shows every episode in weekly installments. Shows like LOST, 24, True Blood and the hottest ones found that ratings were higher if they didn't take big breaks between episodes. The music industry found that it could make more money if they allowed you to buy the song(s) you wanted vs an album with 5-7 songs you didn't care about. The comic industry is going to lose these "mythical new readers" who don't care to wait 6 months for an arc to unfold. I'd rather wait 9 months and get it all at once than be hanging every 30 days. The comic industy may have to go the manga route and put out more complete stories already packaged together.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2011, 11:56 PM   #79
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Here is a brief article about the Flashpoint mystery woman, which also includes the two page spread from Flashpoint 5 where everything "changes". It doesn't really tell us anything more than we already know, but also shows us her appearance in JL1.

Maybe someone with a scanner can post all of her appearances in the upcoming weeks in this thread?
Old September 2 2011, 01:54 AM   #80
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Bleeding Cool's article is better and points out the other appearances she is in. I posted it earlier in this thread I believe or it was the relaunch thread.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2011, 02:07 AM   #81
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^I remember seeing that article, but couldn't find it. LOL!

Last edited by Turtletrekker; September 2 2011 at 02:50 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2011, 02:12 AM   #82
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Yeah it is interesting to see other sites takes though. Rich from Bleeding Cool seems to have come up with the same theory as Temporal Flux did:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/...strange-woman/

Last edited by Admiral_Young; September 2 2011 at 03:54 AM.
Old September 2 2011, 07:37 AM   #83
O'Dib
Commodore

I was hoping she'd be something more like the Speed Force personified.
Old September 2 2011, 08:14 AM   #84
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Johns and Lee talk about issue one along with plans for later in the first arc. There are spoilers for the first issue in this interview so if you've not read it avoid reading this.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=34201

I get their intention of introducing the characters one by one or in increments while solving a mystery that brings the team together. I just am not feeling the way they're doing it.

Old September 2 2011, 08:46 AM   #85
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^ Yeah, I know what you mean. Maybe a in medias res opening, with all of the heroes present, would have worked better. Then go to Gotham with Batman and Green Lantern.
Old September 2 2011, 09:50 AM   #86
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Uh... the comic shop in my town closed up shop two years ago. Can I download these comics for my iPad? Should I? Or is it not all it's cracked up to be?
Old September 2 2011, 10:03 AM   #87
O'Dib
Commodore

Digital is all I ever do these days. Or TPB library rentals.
Old September 2 2011, 01:22 PM   #88
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Uh... the comic shop in my town closed up shop two years ago. Can I download these comics for my iPad? Should I? Or is it not all it's cracked up to be?
Try it once, if you don't like it, it's only a few bucks per comic.

Also, the older books are 1.99 or .99 cents and there are sales on selected books every week.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2011, 01:37 PM   #89
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I've read the issue - thought it had its moments, particularly the epic scale of the first panel's narrative voice - and I've just read the Lee/Johns interview. It's probably not worth thinking about how Flashpoint actually works, except for cheap laughs: how exactly does Barry Allen trying to save his mom genetically modify parademons created a thousand years ago on a distant plant?
Old September 2 2011, 03:52 PM   #90
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Preview for "Action Comics #1" with dialogue (as opposed to the just art previews we've been getting). Interesting to say the least:

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multime....php?aid=44117