Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 9 2014, 02:22 AM   #7951
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Mazahs, so Alexander Luthor is what also a student of Zatanna?
Somehow saying Shazam's name backward also grants you power? Is it different somehow? This is F'ed up.
Who said the wizard's name was "Shazam" on Earth 3? The name is formed from the first letters in names of various Gods and heroes. Any arrangement is possible. HAZMAS! ZHAAMS! Being a mirror Universe. why not MAZAHS?
Was the wizards name Shazam before he magicked the Shazam lightning with godly powers? Or did he have to lock down specific gods to match his name as an acronym.

Chicken or egg.

I do remember some situation precrisis where they did have to petition a different set of gods to make up a Sazam spell.

So it does happen.

What were the gods who made up black adam's girlfriend Isis's power set?
In the old continuity Shazam was a shepherd named Jebediah of Canaan. He was given his powers by some gods called Marsosh, Arel, Ribalvei, Voldar, Elbiam and Lumiun. His magic word was Vlarem and used the name "The Champion".(So order doesn't seem to matter) When he gave Teth Adam the power it was from the Egyptian Gods: Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton and Mehen. From what I can tell, Isis doesn't get her powers from a magic word
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 03:08 AM   #7952
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Wiki tells me that the Old 52 Isis was a homage to the 70s TV show which DC kinda still owns the rights to, and that she got her powers from a magic amulet that Billy Batson blessed after he got the old Wizards job.. Although then she gave her powers, part of her powers to her crippled brother who was eventually eaten by a anthropmoropisized crocodile who they may have given powers to...

The weekly comic 52/count down to crisis was an awful/expensive mess that I invested far too much money into.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 04:21 AM   #7953
Mr Light
Admiral

I actually liked the 52 weekly series. For a story that couldn't star any primary character it was surprisingly important and entertaining.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 04:33 AM   #7954
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I liked it when Animal Man and Starfire were in space doing it even though he was married.

But they never focussed on that enough.

Old March 9 2014, 11:24 AM   #7955
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

I liked it when Animal Man and Starfire were in space doing it even though he was married.

But they never focussed on that enough.
Old March 9 2014, 02:26 PM   #7956
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Wiki tells me that the Old 52 Isis was a homage to the 70s TV show which DC kinda still owns the rights to, and that she got her powers from a magic amulet that Billy Batson blessed after he got the old Wizards job.. Although then she gave her powers, part of her powers to her crippled brother who was eventually eaten by a anthropmoropisized crocodile who they may have given powers to...
She did get her powers from an amulet in 52. Unlike the Marvel family, she's not powered by gods, just nature.

"I feel her power inside me, Adam. Nature is calling me. Asking me what it can do to help my crusade."

First:

Second: She was shown to have powers over nature and when three of the Four Horsemen devestated Khandaq, she felt weakened.

The weekly comic 52/count down to crisis was an awful/expensive mess that I invested far too much money into.
Mr Light wrote: View Post
I actually liked the 52 weekly series. For a story that couldn't star any primary character it was surprisingly important and entertaining.
I recently re-read 52 and still enjoyed it. In fact, it was a good read without having a week to wait in between each issue. I think they did a great job on it.

Now Countdown/Countdown to Final Crisis was terrible. I bailed on it after a few issues and was happy to learn, upon reading Final Crisis, that even Morrison largely ignored it.

And now I realize the can of worms I've opened by mentioning Final Crisis!
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 02:34 PM   #7957
Mr Light
Admiral

Yeah, Countdown was pretty much crap, and it had zero to do with Final Crisis because Morrison had nothing to do with it and completely ignored it

Trinity, the third weekly series, wasn't good either. It started out alright but then about half of the run time became yet another silly alternate reality. Sigh.

I'm really hoping the forthcoming Batman Eternal weekly series is good. It should be because it's involving the major writers the way that 52 did.

Old March 9 2014, 04:26 PM   #7958
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Yeah, Countdown was pretty much crap, and it had zero to do with Final Crisis because Morrison had nothing to do with it and completely ignored it

Trinity, the third weekly series, wasn't good either. It started out alright but then about half of the run time became yet another silly alternate reality. Sigh.

I'm really hoping the forthcoming Batman Eternal weekly series is good. It should be because it's involving the major writers the way that 52 did.
It seems that DC has abandoned the 52 series a month concept; do these new weekly series count for 4 series a month?
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 05:00 PM   #7959
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

They have never abandoned it or Didio never will (he has an hangup for reworking his same old ideas thinking the audience won't notice). There was also Justice League Generation Lost and Brightest Day, which pretty much told the story following the resurrections in Blackest Night.

The problem with weeklies is that you need exceptional talent to pull them off. 52 had four of the best writers DC could get their hands on, one of the the best editors at the Big 2 and Keith Giffen on layouts. Countdown and Trinity had very weak writers and some of the worst editors at DC. If anything 52 was lightning in the bottle.

At least the quality of these new series will show us who amongst editorial is competent and who is incompetent.
Old March 9 2014, 05:30 PM   #7960
Mr Light
Admiral

I forgot about Brightest Day / Generation Lost. I enjoyed that one. It had good writers and artists on it.

Old March 11 2014, 06:55 PM   #7961
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/...orever-people/

Giffen teaming up with Didio again on Infinity Man and the Forever People.

Which also increases the likelihood of a bunch of other titles including Young Justice (a TT relaunch with fan favorite Lobdell?), Superman and Argus (with Sterling Gates probably!), Nightwing and Bluebird and Booster Gold (Charles Soule?).
Old March 12 2014, 12:55 AM   #7962
Mr Light
Admiral

I don't know if I particularly care about the Forever People... of all those listed the only one that might be worth it is Booster Gold...

Old March 12 2014, 01:03 AM   #7963
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I just want Sue Dibney back in the land of the living.

Old March 12 2014, 02:09 AM   #7964
Mr Light
Admiral

Oh yeah, I forgot about all about Ralph Dibney! We never got to see them as ghost detectives after the 52 weekly series!!!

Old March 12 2014, 02:10 AM   #7965
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Oh, that's right, Sue had a husband.

Some sort of Super hero I think?