RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,704
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 389
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 21 2014, 02:01 AM   #7771
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

shivkala wrote: View Post
I guess it's hard for me to understand that mentality. I started reading super-hero comics with Superman #50, which not only was the 50th issue, but also the 4th part of a 4 part storyline, which crossed over with the other Superman titles. Granted, it was the engagement issue, but being issue #50 didn't stop me.

I branched out from there and grabbed Flash #50 and Green Lantern #9.

I just don't buy the argument that the only thing preventing people from picking up a title is that it isn't a #1 issue. There have been plenty of series that I picked up in the midst of their runs. Again, the internet makes it easy to figure out which issues you need and which you can ignore.

And, as Guy said, picking up comics after the 1st issue makes people want to go back and buy the previous issues, which drives up back issue sales (good for the comic store), as well as the trades (good for bookstores, Amazon, the comic store, etc.).

Which isn't to say that I'm against restarting series, mind you. I do agree that a major change in the title is a valid reason to restart it. However, I think comic companies have been too liberal with restarting a series. If the protagonist or the very essence of the series changes, then I can see restarting it. For example, my previously used example of Superman and Justice League restarting after Crisis on Infinite Earths and more recently, Green Lantern restarting with Hal as the main character, instead of Kyle after Rebirth, represent times when I think it was worthwhile to restart.

Over at Marvel, restarting and re-titling Spider-Man, when Octavious took over made sense. Same with their restarting Daredevil, when Waid came onboard to move Matt from being a dark and serious character back to a troubled, but more carefree character.
This is exactly the argument I was too inarticulate to make, other than the addition that DC should probably actually make moves to boost the sales of some of their titles rather than tossing them out altogether. Demon Knights, LSH, Teen Titans and Stormwatch are titles off the top of my head that really deserved a chance to make it with a new creative team. Animal Man too.

I don't mind introducing brand new series, but canceling one Justice League book only to start another seems silly. Justice League International should have been allowed to transition into JLA and the JLU, for example. You don't need #1 on the cover, just an "All new Direction" blurb.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 06:24 PM   #7772
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Ditto. I didn't start a single title at #1 for the better part of 5+yrs. Every book from either company was in triple digits. I cared to jump in and figure it out as I went. Kind of OTJT(on-the-job-training) if you will.

Like someone said, it's not like the stories don't bleed into each other. The biggest example is Marvel doing the Waid written DD and Hulk books. Interviews have had him state that the new direction is still going to spin out of events from those book. So, why renumber? It's not a "fresh start". If Joe Regular does come in off the street the first few issues are going to reveal things he/she is clueless about.

There have now been so many relaunches that when Joe Regular does decide to jump in to back issue bins there are now multiple "title x" issues of a #2, #3....the question is well which volume is that? Volumes are not posted on the cover. Most shops don't want you un-bagging books. If you do get into the book many times the legal disclaimer isn't even on the first or second page anymore, sometimes the back page now. The industry isn't making it easier to "get into" comics from a long term perspective for "new" readers. Which I still think are as elusive as undiscovered Amazon frogs. Rarely do I actually see one.

I think a large part of the blame falls on retailers who still heavily order #1 issues. I'm not convinced that the increase in actual sales to the end consumer is anything but marginal in many cases. That and collectors of variant covers. I see this at my LCS all the time. Crazy stacks of a title cause he had a few hold customers wanting some 1:50 cover. Those surplus books then can't be returned and ultimately end up in $1 boxes.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 09:53 PM   #7773
Mr Light
Admiral

Agreed, it's all because the retailers over-order on #1s. It's an artificial and temporary sales hike.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 12:25 AM   #7774
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Nightwing, Suicide Squad, JLA, and Superman Unchained are all cancelled and ending in April.

If you guys recall...there was a previous report I think last month or so that stated "Superman Unchained" was ending but DC refuted this as did Snyder, saying something like only Jim Lee's tenure on the book was ending. Maybe they will relaunch it as something else but for now #9 is the finale.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/01/...ing-cancelled/

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 12:50 AM   #7775
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Aw man. It's not looking good for Dick to make it out of Forever Evil alive.
He's a favorite character of mine. I'll be sad if he goes.
Old January 22 2014, 12:59 AM   #7776
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Dick is probably getting an identity change. DiDio won't out right kill him. There was a blonde character sitting next to Tim in the Batman: Eternal Thanksgiving Banner. My guess is that he is getting an identity change. I've even read theories/rumours he could pose as a Talon for a while.

Old January 22 2014, 01:04 AM   #7777
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Nightwing, Suicide Squad, JLA, and Superman Unchained are all cancelled and ending in April.

If you guys recall...there was a previous report I think last month or so that stated "Superman Unchained" was ending but DC refuted this as did Snyder, saying something like only Jim Lee's tenure on the book was ending. Maybe they will relaunch it as something else but for now #9 is the finale.

Suicide Squad was actually getting good ever since Kot and Kindt came onboard. Hope it gets relaunced with a new #1.

Nightwing turning into a Talon/Court of Owls book is likely given that the last issue is written by Tynion.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 01:51 AM   #7778
Mr Light
Admiral

They're cancelling Superman Unchained?! They should have just called it a mini-series by Lee and Snyder. Or better yet have put it in the main Superman book which isn't very good...

JLA's "cancellation" is just a name change to JL United/Canada, right?

Old January 22 2014, 02:05 AM   #7779
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Yeah it's being relaunched as Justice League United.

Old January 22 2014, 02:08 AM   #7780
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

JLA was solid.

Good art, interesting story, very dark.

Never actually read Justice League dark.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 02:17 AM   #7781
Mr Light
Admiral

Is anyone reading this 18 part Justice League Dark "Blight" crossover? I can never be bothered with the magic stuff.

Old January 22 2014, 02:55 AM   #7782
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post

I am guessing variants of all three titles relaunch within a few months to highlight the new creative teams with all new number #1s! Superman: Man of Steel, Secret Six, Young Justice, and Nightwing!Something!.
Old January 22 2014, 03:10 AM   #7783
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i've been reading Justice League Dark since #1. i love magic stuffs.

as for Nightwing i expect that book to get relaunched at some point. i really, really hope this isn't the end for Dick Grayson though.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 03:29 AM   #7784
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
i've been reading Justice League Dark since #1. i love magic stuffs.

as for Nightwing i expect that book to get relaunched at some point. i really, really hope this isn't the end for Dick Grayson though.
He was supposed to have been killed in Infinite Crisis. DC has wanted to kill him for a while now--it seems to me that this would be the perfect opportunity for Jason or Tim to take over as Nightwing. My money is on Tim considering the simultaneous cancellation of Teen Titans.
Old January 22 2014, 04:04 AM   #7785
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
They're cancelling Superman Unchained?! They should have just called it a mini-series by Lee and Snyder. Or better yet have put it in the main Superman book which isn't very good...
It was always intended to be a mini series about 9 issues.

Frankly imo they should have stuck it on either Action or Superman and used it as a sales boost. Now any sales advantage it gained will be lost.

JLA's "cancellation" is just a name change to JL United/Canada, right?
Different team and a more cosmic direction (ala GOTG I suspect).
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote