Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 7 2014, 12:24 AM   #7711
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Aquaman, Swamp Thing and All-Star Western are books that i always look forward to each month.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 01:31 AM   #7712
Mr Light
Admiral

Batman (the main title by Snyder and Capullo) makes almost no reference to past events and it is creating its own original story. It's quite excellent and I really recommend it!

When it comes to anything written by Grant Morrison, nothing is going to make sense until you read the entire run all at once Then it will be a twisted kind of brilliant. If you read all 16 (?) issues of his Action run it will all make sense. It's pretty good, but All Star Superman or any of his Batman stuff was better.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 02:18 AM   #7713
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

Superman is still frakked by magic?
Just about everyone is frakked by magic. Takes a hard core practitioner to have a decent defense.

Flash would be screwed over by Count Vertigo's tech
The Flash's sense if balance is probably one of the best around. He runs up the sides of buildings and over water. He spins fast enough to cause tornados. I can't see vertigo or Vertigo being a problem.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 03:18 AM   #7714
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Surely like Daredevil attacked by sound weapons, the Flash's extreme need to maintain balance might mean that he is terminally more susceptible to being knocked off kilter by just a little quiver in his sense of equilibrium.

Precrisis Barry had his aura stripped, which meant that he had no heat shield anymore, but he tricked his enemy into fighting him in a lunal exhibit at the museum where they were pertetuating a vacuum for authenticity.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 03:44 AM   #7715
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Batman (the main title by Snyder and Capullo) makes almost no reference to past events and it is creating its own original story. It's quite excellent and I really recommend it!

When it comes to anything written by Grant Morrison, nothing is going to make sense until you read the entire run all at once Then it will be a twisted kind of brilliant. If you read all 16 (?) issues of his Action run it will all make sense. It's pretty good, but All Star Superman or any of his Batman stuff was better.
Yes, you need to read the entire story together--and read the spaceship two parter after the end of the main Brainiac chapter. Morrison does this, but be warned that he loves the Silver Age and his work reflects that. You don't really need to know specific early Superman stories to enjoy Morrison's run but it helps to understand that he is paying homage to the Golden and Silver Ages of the character and that that influences the tone of his writing.

The style of his run on Superman starts in the Golden Age, moves to the Silver Age and then the Bronze Age before ending with his own post-modern mash-up.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 04:58 AM   #7716
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

That is a good summation of his AC run.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 09:04 PM   #7717
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I for one was very thankful when Morrison left Action Comics.

I'd also highly recommend Batman. I started reading it after a 15 year layoff of reading comics and I was able to get right into it. The Zero Year arc has been great too.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 09:36 PM   #7718
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Earth 2. I think it's great. I didn't think I would like it as a big JSA fan, but, I think it's by far the gustiest of the rebooted characters and books. They threw EVERYTHING out and started anew.

Of course, Robinson just left so, who knows... but Earth 2 and Wonder Woman, in my eyes, are the best and benefited the most from the reboot. Everything else is just same old same old.
Old January 7 2014, 09:43 PM   #7719
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

It's too bad Captain Atom didn't last. I've always had a soft spot for him.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 12:00 AM   #7720
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I liked it when he went into a warzone, the US vs south American freedom fighters (Maybe?), and then Adam systematically destroys all the heavy and personal weapons in the theatre of engagement, until both sides would have no choice but to talk and make peace.

No one liked being patronized, especially the US Government so they all picked up as many sticks and stones as they could find, and went back to killing each other slowly.

Old January 11 2014, 04:23 PM   #7721
STR
Captain

Okay, so I was able to get a hold of the rest of the Grant Morrison run of Action Comics. I get what he was doing, but at the same time feeling underwhelmed. Maybe it was how it ended. Didn't seem nearly as epic as I think they felt it was. Right now I'm debating whether to work through the H'el on Earth event (and whether or not to get all the super titles or stick with Superman for the highlights) or switch to Superman Unchained for my Superman fix. Sticking with Superman is cheaper, but Unchained seems to be better reviewed.

Also picked up the first arc in Batman, the first couple Justice League collected volumes, and am waiting for a sale to get into Aquaman. I think that's more than enough money for one month, so I don't see me adding another series aside from possibly trading Supes titles.
Old January 11 2014, 06:49 PM   #7722
theenglish
Rear Admiral

As if we didn't have enough Lantern titles:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=50225
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2014, 07:41 PM   #7723
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

We still need Blue Lantern and Star Sapphire titles.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2014, 08:07 PM   #7724
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I saw Star Sapphire once at a mall.

It was a pantomime show for the kiddies.

Justice League vs. the League of Doom.

Could not take my eyes off her.

Old January 11 2014, 08:16 PM   #7725
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I just stopped reading the GL books last month, it had just gotten so bad overall. The "light reserve" is just like the stupid Warp 5 speed limit in TNG, a stupid plot point/"limitation" that was just annoying and unneeded. Plus, Johns leaving lead to a downturn in overall quality anyway (and its weird to say that about him nowadays, but I read his whole GL run and enjoyed it, I even really enjoyed Blackest Night).

I'm reading a few New 52 comics. Wonder Woman is good, one of the only good New 52 books. Its not post COIE or Gail Simone WW good, but its still a very good book. Aquaman is ok. It doesn't approach what I've read of Peter David's run, but outside of the story arc about Aquaman's team of very lame heroes, its been a good read.

Swamp Thing, written by Charles Soule, is really good, too. I stopped reading it about 3 issues into Snyder's run, but decided to try it again when Soule took over. His run is A LOT better than Snyder's. I've never read any of Alan Moore's run, or much with Swamp Thing, but I'll definately keep reading this until Soule is done writing/gets kicked off by stupid DC management.

I've read a few issues of the Superman/Wonder Woman book, mostly because Charles Soule is writing it and he's a writer I'm starting to follow. I still dislike the relationship, but Soule is doing a good job with the book. I didn't like the references to Azarello's WW book in the last issue, though. Azzarello's book almost goes out of its way to ignore basically the rest of the New 52, including the Superman/WW relationship. I kind of wish the New 52 in general would do the same. Its not like the WW in Justice League or even Superman/WW is anything like Azarello's WW anyway.

I am currently reading no Bat-books. I dropped Batwoman after DidDio/DC Management decided that no bat family members can be happy (because if they don't have a bad personal life exactly like batman, apparently they won't work, right DiDio/DC management ) and kicked the real writers off the book. I have no desire to read whatever stupid stuff the replacement comes up with. I'm not reading any Batman because I HATE scott Snyder, and quit reading his Batman after Court of Owls came along as the worst Batman story I'd ever read. I might check out Detective Comics, which is apparently getting a new creative team soon. It would be nice to read some Batman again.

Earth 2 is ok. Its very, very inferior to the JSA books from before the New 52, but its better than a good chunk of the New 52. World's Finest gets read because I liked the old version of Power Girl and Huntress. Its not a horrible book by any means, but Paul Levitz has proved he can't really write Huntress or PG anymore, even though he helped create Huntress and wrote a good amount of the 1970's All Star Comics run with PG, Huntress and the JSA.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote