Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 11 2013, 10:14 PM   #6676
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
I'm sure he does. I'm just pointing out the holes in the logic.
Depends on the "data" used to support the logic. Didio probably isn't looking at the ratings of an animated series when determining which version is the most well known.
Old May 12 2013, 05:03 AM   #6677
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I'm sure he does. I'm just pointing out the holes in the logic.
Depends on the "data" used to support the logic. Didio probably isn't looking at the ratings of an animated series when determining which version is the most well known.
Makes me wonder where data that would lead one to believe anyone let alone most people would know who Barry Allen is.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:06 AM   #6678
JD
Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
^I would be willing to bet that's exactly what happened.

I'm really wondering what the heck Didio's vendetta against Stephanie is. It's like nobody is even allowed to mention her.
It's not a vendetta. He is following his editorial philosophy that dictates for well known comic properties only the most well known versions should be kept around and the lesser well known version should be either dumped into limbo or killed off or given some other role.

It's why he wanted Nightwing killed off in Infinite Crisis. He felt his evolution away from Robin was a mistake. The same for Wally West as Flash and Kyle as Green Lantern.
Which is annoying, because I like it when characters change and develop. I thought it was kind of cool that they were actually willing to let characters die or move on to a new superhero identity and then let another character take over.
Old May 12 2013, 10:44 AM   #6679
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I know for me it's not really the fact that DC isn't using Steph, or the other characters that are MIA right now, but the fact that they continually don't want to talk about it or are unwilling to talk about why they're not using them that bugs me.

I get that they don't have to...but they're fan favourite characters as was mentioned above and it would go along way to improve DC's PR image right now if they simply addressed this and got it over with instead of avoiding talking about it altogether.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; May 12 2013 at 11:19 AM.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:22 PM   #6680
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Then why isn't Wally West the Flash, or John Stewart the main Green Lantern?
Because that's not what Geoff Johns grew up with.

The moves to bring back Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, and the pre-Crisis Legion of Super-Heroes make perfect sense when you think about what DC was publishing when Geoff Johns was a little kid buying comics at the 7-11. Today's DCU is based on Johns' memories of the Bronze Age.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 07:50 PM   #6681
TemporalFlux
Commodore

Give it 15 to 20 years and you'll likely see DC revert to something like the post Crisis era; by that time, the kids who grew up in that time frame will be in charge while the ones now at the top will be fading out.

Of course, that assumes we'll have a DC Comics market in 15 to 20 years.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 09:01 PM   #6682
JD
Admiral

I think this is actually the perfect example of why it can sometimes be a bad thing when a fan gets to be in charge of this kind of a franchise. They get to turn it into their ideal version, which often involves bring back alot of the things that they were fans of when they were kids, whether it's good for the characters or not.
Sometimes I think it's almost better to bring in someone who doesn't have 20 years worth of baggage attached to those characters.
Old May 12 2013, 09:55 PM   #6683
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I remember being outraged that the Flash TV Show starred a dead man, and that was barely 4 years after the original Crisis. 4 years used to be a long time.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 10:03 PM   #6684
Gov Kodos
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I think this is actually the perfect example of why it can sometimes be a bad thing when a fan gets to be in charge of this kind of a franchise. They get to turn it into their ideal version, which often involves bring back alot of the things that they were fans of when they were kids, whether it's good for the characters or not.
Sometimes I think it's almost better to bring in someone who doesn't have 20 years worth of baggage attached to those characters.
I agree, Azzarello is writing a much better Wonder Woman story than self professed fans like Jimenez and Heinberg. Their works were filled with decades of Wonder Woman baggage as well as a necrophilic attachment to the old TV show. Azzarello's story has stripped down the backstory and gone with a new take on the character. It's not always to my taste, but it is a better crafted story than the groaning baggage of fanwankery that longtime fans at last having their dream opportunity which writing the book seems to bring.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 03:13 PM   #6685
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Then why isn't Wally West the Flash, or John Stewart the main Green Lantern?
Because that's not what Geoff Johns grew up with.

The moves to bring back Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, and the pre-Crisis Legion of Super-Heroes make perfect sense when you think about what DC was publishing when Geoff Johns was a little kid buying comics at the 7-11. Today's DCU is based on Johns' memories of the Bronze Age.
It really doesn't since much of his comics exposure happened after CoiE and that his favorite Flash is Wally West not Barry Allen. And of course ignores the fact that Didio is the driving force behind the return of Barry Allen and Hal Jordan and the uncrippling of Barbara Gordon.

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
Give it 15 to 20 years and you'll likely see DC revert to something like the post Crisis era; by that time, the kids who grew up in that time frame will be in charge while the ones now at the top will be fading out.
That is Geoff Johns in a nutshell, isn't it?
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 11:34 PM   #6686
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=45466

Legion of Superheroes, Dial H, Demon Knights, and Threshold are all cancelled. Not all that unsurprising. I've not picked up any of them, though I heard good things about Demon Knights.
Old May 14 2013, 12:14 AM   #6687
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Legion of Superheroes suffered because of Levitz's inconsistent writing and frustrating plots that seemed to go no where...at least that is what it was like pre-relaunch and the first arc post relaunch. I unfortunately had to drop the book and haven't picked it up since. It's too bad because this is something that Geoff Johns brought back that I absolutely loved. I'm sure the book will return at some point, the Legion always returns!

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 01:20 AM   #6688
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

not surprised by Demon Knights. it had been suffering from low sales for some time now. shame, it was a fun book. Legion...yeah, i have to agree with Admiral Young. it was a mediocre book. i'd say they will wait a bit and then relaunch it though. can't keep the Legion down for long.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 01:47 AM   #6689
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

^ Fingers crossed.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 03:16 AM   #6690
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Not another Legion relaunch... I think they would be best served in that by just starting over from the beginning(yes again) Just the original three and go from there. Otherwise to many characters and planets and so on for any new readers to just jump in.
I stopped Demon Knights after the first arc but it was a fun read there. Threshold I think suffered from just being a book with unknown characters in it. Tossing in a Guy Gardner from the start say would have helped out a lot.
Dial H was just a bizarre title and would have been an excellent Vertigo book.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote