A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 6 2013, 01:59 AM   #6526
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Her original costume was atleast something a stage magician would wear.
Her original costume is a top hat and tails over a Playboy Bunny uniform. She's dressed more like the assistant than the magician.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 02:04 AM   #6527
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Paul Dini's wife has the same costume and she is a practicing stage magician.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 02:14 AM   #6528
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

So Dini has a Batman costume in his closet?

That explains everything.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 02:16 AM   #6529
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Yeah, but isn't an homage to Zatanna's as opposed to an original idea? Not saying it doesn't work as a distaff spin on the classic magician's garb, but it's also very "showgirl".
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old April 6 2013, 02:29 AM   #6530
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You remember what her father wore when he fought crime?

That made her choices as a sidekick in complimention to his garb thoroughly acceptable.

What was the rationale behind her conversion into the full on super hero suit in the 80s?

Last edited by Guy Gardener; April 6 2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old April 6 2013, 02:31 AM   #6531
sojourner
Vice Admiral

So, no comments on Carrie showing up in the Batman titles? or was that so many pages back I missed it?
Old April 6 2013, 02:38 AM   #6532
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I think that Carrie Bradshaw is the sort of character who can thrive in the Batman Books.

I'm assuming this is Carrie in her Prime before season 7 and she'll be dating Bruce Wayne?

Although a mashup with Batman Year One and the Carrie Diaries would be interesting.

Old April 6 2013, 02:47 AM   #6533
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

sojourner wrote: View Post
So, no comments on Carrie showing up in the Batman titles? or was that so many pages back I missed it?
Okay, thoughts.

My first reaction was, "That's cool."

My second reaction, after I processed the first, was, "Why her? Has anyone really clamored for her return?"

My third reaction, once I was able to articulate the second, was, "Is Carrie Kelly really that interesting a character that people are going to care? And does it make sense to call this character 'Carrie Kelly' outside of her original context, because isn't she really going to be an entirely different character within the context of the 'New 52'?"

My fourth thought, then, was, "DC is bringing Carrie back while Stephanie and Cass are still in limbo. A character who hasn't been seen in print in a decade and wasn't significantly in print in twenty-five years gets prioritized above characters who have active fanbases."

This one's baffling to me, honestly.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 02:47 AM   #6534
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
At this point, I'm convinced DC is just messing with us with all the potential Robins.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
My fourth thought, then, was, "DC is bringing Carrie back while Stephanie and Cass are still in limbo. A character who hasn't been seen in print in a decade and wasn't significantly in print in twenty-five years gets prioritized above characters who have active fanbases."

This one's baffling to me, honestly.
It's really not. There is a current embargo on Steph and Cass because of the current Batgirl book. Didio doesn't want them outshining Barbara (which isn't very hard currently).
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 02:49 AM   #6535
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
You remember what her and wore when he fought crime?

That made her choices as a sidekick in complimention to his garb thoroughly acceptable.

What was the rationale behind her conversion into the full on super hero suit in the 80s?
Leotards and ponytails rock?
IIRC, her first "full on superhero suit" was based on what her mother wore. Her mother was Homo Magi, so I guess its an ethnic costume. Or are you thinking of the Perez costume?
Old April 6 2013, 04:08 AM   #6536
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Perez.

I did some goggling after that post I made, and found that other midpoint missing link costume you're referring to and it's clear that "she" put as much thought into that suit as Spider-Man did with his first costume back when he was still wrestling.

You're all aware that the nerd girl Dunphy daughter from Modern Family played Carrie in the movies that came out in the last couple months? (And maybe I missed a page in this thread where this is all covered?)

Dark Knight Returns was cut in half and released as two direct to video movies which were loyal and explicit. My 10 year old Nephew said "This is the most brutal thing I have ever seen". I blame his parents for giving him such a sheltered life, but still that was almost three hours of animated pure Miller misogyny and sadism.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2313197/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

It's called synergy.

Movies sell the comics and comics sell the movies.

If Dark Knight returns sells well.

There's a sequel they can pull out that's still got a lot of Carrie in it.

Catgirl?

Sheesh.

She will always be Robin to me.

Old April 6 2013, 06:13 AM   #6537
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Carrie Kelly is interesting...something that I personally didn't think about it happening. It will be fascinating to see what Tomasai does with her.

Scott Lobdell has been appointed to take over "Action Comics" as of July's #22. Tyler Kirkmam...I had a feeling that Lobdell would be given it due to his work on "Superman". That's too much Lobdell for me with one character.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 10:14 AM   #6538
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Yeah, but isn't an homage to Zatanna's as opposed to an original idea? Not saying it doesn't work as a distaff spin on the classic magician's garb, but it's also very "showgirl".
Of course. One of a magicians chief weapons is misdirection. With a costume like that fewer people are going to be watching her hands.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 02:53 PM   #6539
Mike Farley
Commodore

Just looked over the JL Dark Annual that told the back story of Constantine and Zee. Nothing at all that would hint that she was a stripper. Of her act, we see exactly one panel where she appears in a puff of smoke. John's narration descibes the act as being 40 minutes long, which, I'm pretty sure is about 35+ minutes too long to be a striptease.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 03:06 PM   #6540
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Of course. One of a magicians chief weapons is misdirection. With a costume like that fewer people are going to be watching her hands.
Isn't that why magicians have sexy assistants in the first place?