RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,914
Posts: 5,388,451
Members: 24,719
Currently online: 502
Newest member: victoria

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 6 2013, 12:59 PM   #6181
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

"Fear Itself" wasn't the conclusion of the decade saga, it basically didn't have anything to do with anything, very disappointing. The climax was "Avengers vs X-Men" in a thematic sense, and "Siege" in a literal sense.
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 05:12 PM   #6182
DarKush
Rear Admiral
 
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Mr Light wrote: View Post
"Fear Itself" wasn't the conclusion of the decade saga, it basically didn't have anything to do with anything, very disappointing. The climax was "Avengers vs X-Men" in a thematic sense, and "Siege" in a literal sense.
I meant it was the conclusion of my interest in Marvel. I saw Siege and maybe Age of Heroes being the conclusion of that long arc.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 06:10 PM   #6183
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I stopped reading WW after a few issues too. The story wasn't grabbing and the art wasn't too impressive. (Too angular and "flat looking.") But a recent one I got to increase my purchases for a CC use was pretty good. I may check out WW again.

Today pulled:

Superman (end of H'El story line.)
World's Finest
Smallville
Detective
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 06:12 PM   #6184
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

DarKush wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
"Fear Itself" wasn't the conclusion of the decade saga, it basically didn't have anything to do with anything, very disappointing. The climax was "Avengers vs X-Men" in a thematic sense, and "Siege" in a literal sense.
I meant it was the conclusion of my interest in Marvel. I saw Siege and maybe Age of Heroes being the conclusion of that long arc.
Siege and end of the v1 of New Avengers imo was the conclusion for the story of Disassembled.

Children's Crusade and XvsA is more like the conclusion for HoM.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 07:29 PM   #6185
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I don't hate everything I don't read, but everything I don't read or hate is just garbage.
uh... what?
For example, the current Green Arrow comic isn't something I hate, but it sucks. So does Justice League Dark, Animal Man (which is easily the most overrated New 52 comic, I might have liked it more if the artist could draw a coherent scene, instead of making me wonder what the hell was going on all the time), Swamp Thing, Birds of Prey, etc. I've atleast tried a lot of the New 52, and the vast majority just sucks.

As for the WW love, like I said before, there have been worst arcs. Still, compared to the awesome Wonder Woman runs (by people like gail simone and the post COIE run with George Perez) this run sucks. I'll admit the whole "confused about the real world" thing probably came mostly from Justice League, but it was still boring, Wonder Woman is written to be more violent then a rabid klingon, and the art is bad. Not the worst art ever (the guy can't match JRjr, Liefeld, or Frank Miller in the horrible art category) but its very mediocre. I never get why companies give high profile books to bad artists. I literally can't read Captain America right now because JRjr's art makes my eyes bleed, its even worse than his Avengers work (and the guy doing the main Avengers book is also horrible). DC has kind of improved because Liefeld is gone, but while their bad artists aren't quite as bad as marvel's bad artists, DC has more of them (and more just mediocre ones). To be fair, DC has great artists (like the guy drawing Batwoman, although I would love to see the book with a coherent panel structure and not a series of sometimes hard to follow two page spreads, literally my only complaint aboiut that book is that sometimes it gets really hard to read a page) and some good artists, but it also has a lot of not memorable, mediocre and downright bad artists.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 01:08 AM   #6186
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it bad. Not everything is always going to line up with everyone tastes, but just because it isn't something you like doesn't mean it's bad. There is plenty of stuff out there that I am willing to acknowledge is probably good, even if it isn't to my tastes.
You don't like the art in the current volume of Avengers? I only read the first issue, but I thought the art was gorgeous. And while I haven't read a whole issue yet, I've skimmed through WW and loved the artwork in it too. But I could see where it might not be for everyone, it is a more unique style. I like it when we see something more than you're standard realistic art.
__________________
My name is Max. My world is fire and blood. - Mad Max: Fury Road coming May 15, 2015
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 01:49 AM   #6187
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Well, Avengers art is easily worse than WW. I mean, WW is bad, but it seemed to be easy to see what was going on.

Also, I kind of get what you mean, but that only works in some situations. WW is a legitimately bad book, I know that from reading it. Comics, in general, to me can't fit into the "its just not for me" category, atleast with comics I read and don't like. There are comics that aren't for me, and I don't read those. We're talking about WW. Its just a bad comic.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 02:35 AM   #6188
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Nah, its a comic you don't like. It's well written and well drawn.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 02:58 AM   #6189
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Thats all a matter of opinion. I think its badly written, and very badly drawn. Just because you think its good doesn't make it good. I'll admit the same is true of my opinion, but thats how everything goes. Good or bad is subjective. Saying somethings good to someone who doesn't like it doesn't mean they're wrong and you're right, or vice-versa. Its opinion, not fact. To me, its a bad and very unentertaining comic.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 03:29 AM   #6190
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

No one is saying they are right and you are wrong. You keep on repeating about stuff you hate and don't read. You've already made your feelings and opinions quite clear. I'm not sure what the point is carrying on about it. It's obvious you don't agree with us on somethings, and that's okay. No point going on about it. *Shrugs*.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 03:46 AM   #6191
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

There is difference between disliking something for reasons involving theme, story or message and something that's just badly done. I don't care for B5 or BSG for various reasons, but I will admit they are well done. They aren't badly acted or written because I didn't find the plot or characters appealing.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 03:48 AM   #6192
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Good and interesting end to H'El on Earth storyline. Look forward to where Superman goes from here.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 04:11 AM   #6193
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger
 
OdoWanKenobi's Avatar
 
Location: R.I.P. Robin Williams
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I had two DC books today, Earth-2 and Green Lantern, and both of them were almost entirely people standing around talking. The difference is that Green Lantern was suspenseful and interesting while Earth-2 just had me wanting them to get on with it, already. That's too bad, since I've been enjoying Earth-2 up to this point. It is a book really suffering from decompression, though. Green Lantern is moving towards the conclusion of Johns run, and the cliffhanger at the end has me intrigued.
__________________
"In Brightest Day, in Blackest Night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power: Green Lantern's light!"
OdoWanKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 04:16 AM   #6194
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I agree, Green Lantern moved me, and Earth 2 couldn't keep my focus.

Avengers is trying to be too big too early, but Wonder Woman is unreadable... Although I haven't actually read it in maybe 10 months.... Because it's UNREADABLE.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; March 7 2013 at 05:59 AM.
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 04:18 AM   #6195
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I figured it would be right up your alley, Guy.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
batman, comic books, comics, dc comics, dc's new 52, justice league, superman, wonder woman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.