Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 2 2013, 11:39 PM   #6106
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

As a long time Flash fan I find the current rogues to be absolutely terrible. Perhaps a real writer will have Abra Kadabra return and revert them all back to their more likeable and far superior forms.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 12:13 AM   #6107
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

That sounds almost racist.

Like you want to track down all the bad writers in your neighbourhood and burn crosses on their front lawn.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 12:48 AM   #6108
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Firing them would be the superior option.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 12:53 AM   #6109
kirk55555
Commodore

I didn't even know Damian died, and wouldn't have until reading World's Finest next month. I wasn't the characters biggest fan, but I didn't hate him and he was growing on me. But his grandpa is the guy with the Lazarus pits, so I have a feeling that, eventually, Damien will be brought back.

Assuming the New 52 still has his grandpa and lazarus pits and hasn't retconned his grandpa into being a cyborg sent from the future as an excuse for why he is so old. It seems like something the idiots at DC would do, and since I don't read most of the horrible books staring batman (aka every one, with the possible exception of batman & Robin) I'm not sure what they've done to all of the villains. I wouldn't be surprised if Penguin is now like the one in Burton's movie, Man-Bat is an alien bat and Killer Moth is a man bitten by a radioactive moth

As for dC's writers, I'd support shipping them to a deserted island, with food and water but where they would never be found or heard from again. Actually, they wouldn't need to send everyone (you wouldn't want to accidentaly send the one or two decent writers away). Just sending Snyder, Lobdell, johns, and Jim Lee (not a writer, but definately a bad influence) to the island would raise the quality of DC comics a lot.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 01:11 AM   #6110
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Sending Scott Snyder to that island would be a fatal mistake. Same with Johns since both "Batman" and "Aquaman" are among their best books.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 01:11 AM   #6111
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Icemizer wrote: View Post
As a long time Flash fan I find the current rogues to be absolutely terrible. Perhaps a real writer will have Abra Kadabra return and revert them all back to their more likeable and far superior forms.
Yeah, I wasn't thrilled with the Rogues becoming meta-humans, though I thought the issue explaining how it happened was pretty good. I would certainly not mind something like their powers all shutting down and being forced to return to the tech.
Old March 3 2013, 01:30 AM   #6112
kirk55555
Commodore

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Sending Scott Snyder to that island would be a fatal mistake. Same with Johns since both "Batman" and "Aquaman" are among their best books.
But, johns is writing the horrible Justice League. I like his GL stuff, and JSA/his run on justice Society remain some of my favorite comics, but he's just not the same anymore. The last nail in the coffin was when he turned my favorite superhero ever into a whiney, immoral jerk with a hole in his chest and made his arch nemesis into a bald hulk Hogan. At that point, I knew his ability to write anything not named GL (and sometimes Aquaman, some of its ok but the trench stuff and the things with Aquaman's "old" team was pretty lame) was gone, and that he's devolved into Frank Miller. Nobody stopped James Robinson, and we got Cry for Justice and the worst pre new 52 JL and JSA runs ever. They need to stop Johns before he loses the last of his ability and writes All Star Green Lantern.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 01:34 AM   #6113
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Justice League has improved considerably since Jim Lee left the book. It's been speculated here that Jim Lee was co-plotting that origins arc, and since he's been gone Johns has been doing some fine work.

This seemed inevitable.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/...andora-series/

Last edited by Admiral_Young; March 3 2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old March 3 2013, 02:06 AM   #6114
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Agree with the Admiral,Johns is much better without Lee on JL. Johns also has a pretty good history as a writer. His Aquaman has been solid,however as with any writer trying to do to many series will affect the quality on all of them.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 02:11 AM   #6115
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Justice League has been pretty great ever since Jim Lee left. It's obvious that he was one dragging the book down. Johns remains one of my favorite writers. Justice League, Green Lantern, and Aquaman are always enjoyable reads these days.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I cannot figure out who the heck you're talking about when you refer to this whiny, immoral jerk with a hole in his chest whose archnemesis is a bald Hulk Hogan.
Old March 3 2013, 02:15 AM   #6116
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Hal Jordan and Sinestro? That's the only thing I could think of...

Old March 3 2013, 02:17 AM   #6117
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Hal's chest is intact, and last I looked Sinestro had hair and was skinny.
Old March 3 2013, 02:22 AM   #6118
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I was referring to the whiny aspects of Hal...since he was talking about Johns and Justice League. Hal was a problem for me in the first arc too. I really have no clue who he could be talking about though.

Old March 3 2013, 02:30 AM   #6119
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I won't deny that Hal was a whiny jerk in the first arcs of Justice League and Green Lantern post New52. In Green Lantern, I chalk that up to him losing his ring. In Justice League, it's that evil influence of Jim Lee popping its head up again.
Old March 3 2013, 02:54 AM   #6120
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

That's for sure. I'm amazed at the difference. I really hope that Lee allows Snyder to write on their Superman project, and he just concentrates on drawing. That's when he's at his best.