Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 1 2013, 03:15 AM   #6091
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

But it's the "first time" it's been "useful." Or used in some "proper" context. Since they started doing it it's been lame and this time around in spoiled the end of an issue. Say someone pulled their books this past week -somehow not knowing what was going to happen- and they read one of the other issues first. They'd potentially be spoiled by this "Channel 52" news bit.

But, again, it's lame. It's maybe a bit too "meta", it's using up pages and is anyone really reading it? Further, I'm not fond of the Constatine preview in all of this week's books either. Again, it just uses up space and it's a bit annoying to find it at the end of of every single DC book I pulled this week.
Old March 1 2013, 03:21 AM   #6092
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Did they cut the length of the actual story to include it? If not, it's a bonus.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 03:34 AM   #6093
Mike Farley
Commodore

Helena Wayne visits her not-brother's grave in Worlds' Finest #10.

preview
Mike Farley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 03:40 AM   #6094
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Damn, that's a pretty devastating. I dropped World's Finest a while back, but I really would like to see Bruce's reaction to Helena revealing her identity to him some day.
Old March 1 2013, 03:59 AM   #6095
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Worlds' Finest has been consistently entertaining, which I can't say for most nu52 titles.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Comparing what Morrison has done with Damian and what Slott has done with Peter are two entirely different things. Peter Parker is still alive albeit not physically , and as I've mentioned in the Marvel thread many times now, Superior Spider-Man is part of a larger still ongoing story line that has been unfolding since Slott took over Amazing full time. Morrison is concluding his run and concluding a character arc that he created and started himself. I don't think the two are comparable at all, nor does Slott need to "take lessons". Besides which everyone knows that Peter will be back in his body at some point...we don't know that with Damian right now.
I agree, but for reasons we will completely disagree about: Morrison/Damian is different than Slott/Peter, but I don't buy for a second that Slott's been building to this since his debut on ASM. There are too many clues that they are testing ideas and dropping them if the blowback is too great (which I have no real problem with), while Morrison just kept doing what he wanted with the whole Batman saga - admittedly, details changed, but nothing on par with the Carlie "Isn't she the best oops wait you all hate her theybrokeupyaaaaayyyy!" Cooper stuff.

It's not just Octo-Spidey I'm referring to here, it's the difference between a considered, interesting new take on a character and "let's throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks as long as it isn't MJ". I like Slott (Human Torch/Spidey was a great series) but at the moment he's nowhere near Morrison when it comes to laying clues, following through with narrative promise, or developing character.
Old March 1 2013, 04:14 AM   #6096
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I've really enjoyed Worlds' Finest. Not much has really "happened" in it but Power Girl and Huntress are interesting, fun characters to watch.
Old March 1 2013, 04:45 AM   #6097
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

The covers to the post Damian stuff all look pretty decent, my favourite are "Batman and Robin" and the "Batman" ones.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 03:31 AM   #6098
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Is the last page of Flash really going to be Reverse-Flash's New52 look? I could deal with the Rogue redesigns, but that....oh wow. That is the most god damn hideous looking thing that I have ever seen.
Old March 2 2013, 02:28 PM   #6099
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Hound of UIster wrote: View Post

Like the respect given to Watchmen?
You are seriously overestimating the importance of Batman Inc if you think it's comparable to Watchmen.
Oh, lord no. I'm simply saying that if they don't have respect for the Watchmen--a well loved COMPLETE story, why would they have respect for Morrison's wishes?
There are valid reasons to dislike the idea and/or execution of Before Watchmen, but I will fight anyone who bases their objection around ideas of "respect" for Alan Moore and his work. Moore has based a large part of his career around doing things with other people's characters and stories that their original creators would never have approved of – as, I might add, was his intention with Watchmen before DC editorial realized it rendered their newly obtained characters unusable – so taking Watchmen and changing and adding things is absolutely fair play as far as matters of "respect" are concerned.
Old March 2 2013, 03:49 PM   #6100
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
Hound of UIster wrote: View Post

You are seriously overestimating the importance of Batman Inc if you think it's comparable to Watchmen.
Oh, lord no. I'm simply saying that if they don't have respect for the Watchmen--a well loved COMPLETE story, why would they have respect for Morrison's wishes?
There are valid reasons to dislike the idea and/or execution of Before Watchmen, but I will fight anyone who bases their objection around ideas of "respect" for Alan Moore and his work. Moore has based a large part of his career around doing things with other people's characters and stories that their original creators would never have approved of – as, I might add, was his intention with Watchmen before DC editorial realized it rendered their newly obtained characters unusable – so taking Watchmen and changing and adding things is absolutely fair play as far as matters of "respect" are concerned.
Yet the reality is: Paul Levitz never went forward with any further Watchman material out of respect for Moore. Once he was out, others felt differently.

Which will happen with Damien. Currently people might respect Morrison's wishes, but that will change. That's the point I'm making. Not trying to get into an Alan Moore discussion.
Old March 2 2013, 06:53 PM   #6101
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

JLD#17-the adventure on the alternate planet where Magic has been restricted in the city of Epoch has been fun. Timothy Hunter riding a giant reptile beast on the last page was a cool visual. Madame Xanadu is barely hanging on to life. I hope Frankenstein sticks around after this adventure. I also would like to see Amaya join up. Been enjoying Sword of Sorcery but that's ending.

Aquaman #17 was a solid epilogue to Throne of Atlantis, the series has maintained high quality for it's whole run. More Mera would be my only minor quibble for this issue. I'm curious who the mystery figure is at issues end. We know it's not Orm. Someone new perhaps?

Batman Inc. #8 - Overall a good read. Maybe I've just read too many of these type death stories, maybe the industry has me jaded or maybe I just never connected with Damian the way some did. I didn't feel any real emotion at that last panel. I felt it was trying hard to invoke imagery from Jason's death, and the art was good. I think it felt hollow to me cause it seemed to happen very quick and the whole issue Batman is trapped in that vault then he's there. It just didn't resonate with me is all.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 06:55 PM   #6102
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post

Yet the reality is: Paul Levitz never went forward with any further Watchman material out of respect for Moore. Once he was out, others felt differently.
It's more likely he was afraid of an internal revolt at DC if he had gone through with it. The last time he screwed over Moore over royalties, editors revolted and resigned in protest over what he did. We have seen how little respect he had towards creators like Mark Millar and Garth Ennis.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 09:25 PM   #6103
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Is the last page of Flash really going to be Reverse-Flash's New52 look? I could deal with the Rogue redesigns, but that....oh wow. That is the most god damn hideous looking thing that I have ever seen.
agreed.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 09:46 PM   #6104
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
JLD#17-the adventure on the alternate planet where Magic has been restricted in the city of Epoch has been fun. Timothy Hunter riding a giant reptile beast on the last page was a cool visual. Madame Xanadu is barely hanging on to life. I hope Frankenstein sticks around after this adventure. I also would like to see Amaya join up. Been enjoying Sword of Sorcery but that's ending.

Aquaman #17 was a solid epilogue to Throne of Atlantis, the series has maintained high quality for it's whole run. More Mera would be my only minor quibble for this issue. I'm curious who the mystery figure is at issues end. We know it's not Orm. Someone new perhaps?

Batman Inc. #8 - Overall a good read. Maybe I've just read too many of these type death stories, maybe the industry has me jaded or maybe I just never connected with Damian the way some did. I didn't feel any real emotion at that last panel. I felt it was trying hard to invoke imagery from Jason's death, and the art was good. I think it felt hollow to me cause it seemed to happen very quick and the whole issue Batman is trapped in that vault then he's there. It just didn't resonate with me is all.
How I feel, as I wasn't too attached to Damien either.
Old March 2 2013, 09:54 PM   #6105
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
agreed.
The irony being that Manapul and Buccellato were criticizing how hokey the Rogues such as Zoom were and they are delivering an even worse product. Morons both of them.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote