Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Nimoy Health Scare
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Star Trek #42 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old September 15 2011, 08:22 PM   #556
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

^^I have no idea. Don't have the figures for the last five or six years...I've of course stated that the whole Johns/New Krypton run stuff got me back reading the character for the first time since the late 90's. I'm not sure how other Superman fans felt about the run...I loved all the retconning and reconnection to the Legion past stuff as well as the connection to the DonnerVerse.

@Zoom Lantern and Batman have enjoyed successful readerships since popular writers have been guiding their books. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a dip when Johns decided to leave Action Comics in the middle of his run to concentrate on Blackest Night. I think it hurt the latter half of the run.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 08:33 PM   #557
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
^^I have no idea. Don't have the figures for the last five or six years...I've of course stated that the whole Johns/New Krypton run stuff got me back reading the character for the first time since the late 90's. I'm not sure how other Superman fans felt about the run...I loved all the retconning and reconnection to the Legion past stuff as well as the connection to the DonnerVerse.

@Zoom Lantern and Batman have enjoyed successful readerships since popular writers have been guiding their books. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a dip when Johns decided to leave Action Comics in the middle of his run to concentrate on Blackest Night. I think it hurt the latter half of the run.
That's why Lantern and Batman haven't had a lot of changing, unlike the others.

Edited to add a question:

So.... how long do you think it will take for DC to decide which to dump? With TV you can see your numbers pretty quickly, you're putting something out once a week. But in the publishing world, once a month... Will they wait until issue 5? 10?

Last edited by Professor Zoom; September 15 2011 at 08:45 PM.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 09:00 PM   #558
theenglish
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=Professor Zoom;5227307]
Dennis wrote: View Post

I was using 0 because I don't know women's sizes for shit.
Is your name really Rob Liefeld?
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 09:06 PM   #559
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

[QUOTE=theenglish;5227588]
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post

I was using 0 because I don't know women's sizes for shit.
Shhh.

Now, I have to go work on a picture of Captain America, now with MORE man-boobs.
Old September 15 2011, 09:07 PM   #560
Servo
Rear Admiral

Red Lanterns intrigued me a lot more than Green Lantern.
Old September 15 2011, 09:08 PM   #561
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

We're all quote-challenged today.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 09:15 PM   #562
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Green Lantern is not a fresh start, it has been known for months that it was taking place after the current story line which was War of the Green Lanterns.
But for those who are starting or rejoining, the new 52 was advertised as a great time to jump on. They should've made it so. I'm not saying they had to start GL over... but help identify key things for new readers. One method was in Animal Man--the interview at the beginning of the book.
Or, as Stan Lee said, every comic book is someone's first comic book and you have to treat it as such. A few panels of back story and some subtle explanations worked into the dialogue to bring new readers up to speed is important and there should be clues in every issue, not just #1s. A good writer can make a pretty seamless explanation--or a good alternative is to do what Marvel does and include a page at the beginning of every comic book to bring the reader up to speed.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 09:28 PM   #563
davejames
Vice Admiral

Uh davejames it's been mentioned many times in this thread that Damian is Bruce's son and has been since Morrison introduced him in Batman and Son. Also I don't know if you read Green Lantern #1 properly because Gauntlet was most definitely against Sinestro being in the Corp and the rest of the Guardians made it quite clear that it was the ring that chose Thaal not them. Green Lantern is not a fresh start, it has been known for months that it was taking place after the current story line which was War of the Green Lanterns.
Well yeah it was easy to figure out from the book, but simply knowing that it's his son doesn't change the fact I still feel like I'm missing out on tons of backstory and character development.

But for those who are starting or rejoining, the new 52 was advertised as a great time to jump on. They should've made it so. I'm not saying they had to start GL over... but help identify key things for new readers. One method was in Animal Man--the interview at the beginning of the book.
Well to be fair, most of the books I haven't had a problem jumping into. It's just GL so far that's been a disappointment.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 09:40 PM   #564
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
Or, as Stan Lee said, every comic book is someone's first comic book and you have to treat it as such.
I bet that's not true. I bet Neonomicon was nobody's first comic book.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 10:24 PM   #565
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Batman and Robin (A) - one of the Top 3 books of the week for me. I think much of what I liked about it was how Bruce brought a sense of closure to the events of his childhood. Not sure how long it will last before some other writer ignores it. The B-plot meanwhile was Batman and Damien stopping thieves from stealing radioactive fuel and like in the first Batman Inc issue, the two don't work well. My only complaint was that I don't think anyone would build an indoor swimming pool above a spent fuel pool.

Batwoman (C) - This was disappointing. I was hoping for the continuation of the Religion of Crime or Intergang stuff, but no luck. Much of it was centered on the relationships in KK's life with Maggie, her father and her new potential sidekick. The interaction with Maggie admittedly was better done than when Rucka was writing. The plot was the disappearing children didn't hold my interest. Art was gorgeous though. Probably also the most dialogue that Haden Blackman has written in one comicbook outside of the The Force Unleashed.

Deathstroke (F) - Another disappointment. I was expecting more from Kyle Higgins since his Gates of Gotham story. This story is just so typically 90s with your excess blood and guts. He fails to take advantage of what makes Deathstroke unique and instead tries to make him into another generic mercenary badass that we have too much of in comicbooks. Would have liked it if they had gone down the avenue that Meltzer did in exploring how he uses his superhuman abilities.

Demon Knights (A) - I really liked this one. It's the Magnificent Seven in Dark Age Europe after the fall of Camelot. Though in this case the Dark Ages seem like something from Dungeons and Dragons. The historical liberties thats taken here kind of remind me of Arak Son of Thunder. My two main complaints are 1) how quickly Cornell introduced the cast and 2) how I don't think he has a very good handle writing Ystin, her appearance felt out of character to me.

Frankenstein (A) - The best book of the week. This book is mainly setup with Frankenstein and new Creature Commandos now working under SHADE. Really reminds me of Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider in the absurdity of it.

Sucidie Squad (B) - This was a nice done in one kind of story that introduces us to the characters and sets up for the main story. It's too bad the nerdrage over a skinny Waller is threatening to derail this.
Old September 15 2011, 11:34 PM   #566
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post

Well yeah it was easy to figure out from the book, but simply knowing that it's his son doesn't change the fact I still feel like I'm missing out on tons of backstory and character development.

He's a loud mouth little punk with a lot of attitude and skill. He's been that since his introduction. Not a whole lot of character development has occured. The "backstory" isnt all that important since Bruce was dead for most of it. This Batman and Robin are at square one,
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 11:41 PM   #567
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Shhh.

Now, I have to go work on a picture of Captain America, now with MORE man-boobs.
Don't forget the pouches and the tiny point feet he has while standing en pointe.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2011, 12:21 AM   #568
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Shhh.

Don't forget the pouches and the tiny point feet he has while standing en pointe.
Pouches are the new black.
Old September 16 2011, 01:33 AM   #569
JD
Admiral

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet since I skipped over a couple pages of the thread, but Batgirl is going to be guest-starring in Birds of Prey #4 and the same issue is supposed to have big status quo changer in it. Don't know if the two are related.
Old September 16 2011, 01:44 AM   #570
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

I don't think it's been mentioned. I did see the cover, though, and maaaan that is the ugliest thing.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote