RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 506
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 25 2012, 12:09 AM   #5611
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

theenglish wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
I just hope this takes out the Guardians once and for all, I'm sick of their dickery.
I wouldn't even put money down on the guardians even being properly found out after this arc. I can imagine the entire thing ending with the guardian council rewriting the book of OA once again and the GLC none the wiser.
They already have been. B'dg said in the latest issue of Green Lantern that the Corps knows that the Guardians have gone insane and are behind the Third Army.
Old December 27 2012, 09:51 AM   #5612
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Justice League #15: Three issues now post Jim Lee and I continue to be amazed at the difference. The characterization and writing are back to what I expect from Geoff Johns capability. Ivan Reis art work jumps off the page like it did in "Aquaman". I am even enjoying the portrayal of the Clark/Diana relationship. I was expecting it to be tossed in our faces, but it has been anything but, and actually been really charming.

As for the story itself...I wasn't expecting to like "Throne of Atlantis" but again have been pleasantly been surprised by it. I got a sense of epicness about it that was lacking in the first origin arc, which leads us into...

Aquaman #15: I am liking the new artist. I think we've had just one issue or two that has missed the mark in Johns run so far, but this isn't one of them. This issue takes place after the attacks in Justice League (Chapter One of Throne of Atlantis) as we get some nice character moments between Aquaman and Batman as Arthur gives a quick back story on how he became King of Atlantis and the Atlantean mentality. They find Vulko who warns them about the attack, and convinces Arthur to change his brother's mind, we finally see Ocean Master at the end of the issue as he is confronted by Aquaman who attempts to convince him this was a mistake, but it's not exactly going smoothly, and then the trinity (Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman) show up which of course makes things worse and we end on a cliff hanger. As I mentioned in my review of Justice League, I wasn't expecting to like this arc, but I will continue to follow it. I've always been a fan of Atlantis and now it seems like Johns is intertwining them with the greater New 52'Verse.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 01:24 PM   #5613
C_Miller
Captain

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I dropped Catwoman after issue one as well. Not at all the direction I thought they would take Selina. I much prefer Morrison's version.
Has Morrison ever done anything significant with Catwoman? The only thing I can think of were the first couple issues of Batman Incorporated. And I wouldn't consider that especially significant. It's not like he did anything new with her.

If you were to say Ed Brubaker, Devin Grayson, Chuck Dixon (what Bat-character hasn't he had a definitive run on?), Doug Moench, Jeph Loeb (despite his questionable Marvel work, he is kind of responsible for Selina's more modern portrayal) or hell, even Jonathan Nolan/David Goyer it would make more sense to me.

But at the end of the day, I don't think even Morrison's writing of the character could be called "Morrison's Version."
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 01:27 PM   #5614
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I was referring to the first arc of Batman Inc...yeah he hasn't really used Selina since then. I was thinking that he was implying that Bruce was finally ready to take their relationship to the next level upon his return, especially given his thoughts about her in The Return, but Talia's war has obviously distracted him I guess I was really talking about the possibility of their relationship being elevated to the next level. I doubt that will ever really happen though. Bruce has never really had a long lasting love interest in quite a while now.

Old December 27 2012, 04:22 PM   #5615
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Justice League #15: Three issues now post Jim Lee and I continue to be amazed at the difference. The characterization and writing are back to what I expect from Geoff Johns capability. Ivan Reis art work jumps off the page like it did in "Aquaman". I am even enjoying the portrayal of the Clark/Diana relationship. I was expecting it to be tossed in our faces, but it has been anything but, and actually been really charming.

As for the story itself...I wasn't expecting to like "Throne of Atlantis" but again have been pleasantly been surprised by it. I got a sense of epicness about it that was lacking in the first origin arc, which leads us into...

Aquaman #15: I am liking the new artist. I think we've had just one issue or two that has missed the mark in Johns run so far, but this isn't one of them. This issue takes place after the attacks in Justice League (Chapter One of Throne of Atlantis) as we get some nice character moments between Aquaman and Batman as Arthur gives a quick back story on how he became King of Atlantis and the Atlantean mentality. They find Vulko who warns them about the attack, and convinces Arthur to change his brother's mind, we finally see Ocean Master at the end of the issue as he is confronted by Aquaman who attempts to convince him this was a mistake, but it's not exactly going smoothly, and then the trinity (Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman) show up which of course makes things worse and we end on a cliff hanger. As I mentioned in my review of Justice League, I wasn't expecting to like this arc, but I will continue to follow it. I've always been a fan of Atlantis and now it seems like Johns is intertwining them with the greater New 52'Verse.
With some variance I feel the same.
Dropped JL at issue 2 but enjoyed this. The whole glasses bit was funny. I did expect to like Throne of Atlantis and this got it started off well. Something telling here as well, Lois is in trouble, unknown to Superman?, and his comment is "we can't save them all". Clearly caught up in things with Diana it seems.

I've enjoyed every issue of Aquaman and this carryover from JL kept the pace up nicely. Mera got good "screen" time in here as well. It seems this story is essentially an angle on the Morrison story in the 90's where Batman has a plan to defeat everyone should the need arise. Here it's Aquaman who has a plan to attack the surface world AND which people need to be neutralized first(including Batman). So Aquaman gets to be the character everyone will have some issue with this time instead of Bruce.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 05:41 PM   #5616
C_Miller
Captain

The Legion of Superheroes is getting a "revamp" in February. Keith Griffen is joining Paul Levitz, what the book really needs is Levitz gone.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/keit...es-revamp.html
And I like that you put revamp in quotes. Seeing as Giffen (along with Levitz) were probably the two biggest Legion writers along with Dan Abnett/Andy Lanning and Jim Shooter.

I like Giffen, but that being said I think the best way for Legion to flourish is to get someone one there with new ideas. That's probably my biggest problem with the New 52 in general.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 10:43 PM   #5617
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I just want someone on Legion of Superheroes who isn't erratic with his story telling and can write arcs with a definitive beginning, middle, and end. My experience with Levitz during his run and prior to the relaunch is that this is not the case with him. Maybe Griffen can help focus the direction of the book. He's been pretty good on "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" since taking over from James Robinson.

Old December 29 2012, 04:20 AM   #5618
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Aquaman was very good this month, will have to get JLA to see the "rest of the story."
Old December 29 2012, 04:24 AM   #5619
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Aquaman #15 was actually "Chapter two" of "The Throne of Atlantis". "Justice League #15 is the first part.

Old December 29 2012, 04:26 AM   #5620
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Aquaman #15 was actually "Chapter two" of "The Throne of Atlantis". "Justice League #15 is the first part.
Gotcha. I need to pick it up just the same, liked the use of the JLA in Aquaman.
Old December 29 2012, 04:29 AM   #5621
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

There really isn't that much difference to the two issues, most of the action happens in Aquaman. We just see the initial attacks and the Clark and Diana stuff in Justice League. I was mainly being nitpicky

Old December 29 2012, 04:35 AM   #5622
Mike Farley
Commodore

Justice League really has taken a bump up in quality since Jim Lee left.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 09:37 AM   #5623
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Agreed totally. I've picked it back up full time now. The difference is just amazing.

Old January 1 2013, 08:32 PM   #5624
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Happy new year!
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 01:40 AM   #5625
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Scott Lobdell is off "Red Hood and the Outlaws" as of issue #18 and will be replaced by James Tynion IV. This is grand news.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/...-tynion-iv-on/