The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 14 2011, 10:11 PM   #466
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Well, Green Lantern was basically Hal Jordan being a dumbass. Hal's never been my favorite character though. I was actually hoping we might see some actual adventures with Sinestro as the main lantern. Looks like they're just going to move toward restoring status quo as quickly as possible. Also, neither Kyle, John, or Guy have payed Hal a visit and tried to help him out?

Red Lanterns has some potential, if they're going to go in the anti-hero team direction. The problem here is that, Atrocitus aside, the Red Lanterns are all mindless feral animals. They'll need to come up with a conceit to give them some characterization if this concept is going to work.
Old September 14 2011, 10:19 PM   #467
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus

Atrocitus becoming a cosmic Punisher might be interesting. plus, Dex Star is awesome so i'll follow the book for a bit.

Green Lantern was good. i'm still not a fan of Sinestro being a GL again, but i'm curious where this is going.

i thought Demon Knights was a lot of fun.
I Am The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2011, 10:24 PM   #468
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
In Suicide Squad, Waller's gotten thin and hot.

No place for large ladies in the DCU...

NERD RAGE!

Kidding.
Oh, seriously?

No, that actually pisses me off. I mean, I guess it doesn't matter, I wasn't going to buy the book that killed Secret Six anyway, but I wasn't one of the folks who went into auto-hate, or one of the blind people who thought Harley Quinn's new stupid sexdoll costume was any more objectifying than her old stupid sexdoll costume.

But a young, hot, thin Amanda Waller? That's garbage. Like, do they still call her "The Wall"? Because if so I think they missed the joke.

What next, a 5'2" Big Barda?

OdoWanKenobi wrote:
Red Lanterns has some potential, if they're going to go in the anti-hero team direction. The problem here is that, Atrocitus aside, the Red Lanterns are all mindless feral animals. They'll need to come up with a conceit to give them some characterization if this concept is going to work.
They're still doing the sub-Hulk thing for the non-Atrocitus Red Lanterns? Shit, should've just made a comedy series about Larfleeze if that's all it's gonna be.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2011, 10:34 PM   #469
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
In Suicide Squad, Waller's gotten thin and hot.

No place for large ladies in the DCU...

NERD RAGE!

Kidding.
Oh, seriously?

No, that actually pisses me off. I mean, I guess it doesn't matter, I wasn't going to buy the book that killed Secret Six anyway, but I wasn't one of the folks who went into auto-hate, or one of the blind people who thought Harley Quinn's new stupid sexdoll costume was any more objectifying than her old stupid sexdoll costume.

But a young, hot, thin Amanda Waller? That's garbage. Like, do they still call her "The Wall"? Because if so I think they missed the joke.
Maybe she's not young... but she's definitely younger. And thinner. You wouldn't think it was her if they hadn't named her.

Maybe she's Amanda's daughter or something. It's kinda stupid, actually. Why is everyone young and thin and can walk...?
Old September 14 2011, 10:43 PM   #470
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Back-tracking a bit on the comic value thing.

Go to any comic book store, convention or any store (like Vintage Stock) that specializes in popular culture items and you'll see boxes filled with old comics. Usually running around $2. Occasionally you may find the odd, off, issue for a few dollars.

I did pick up "The Death of Clark Kent" printed in the mid-60s at a comic book store for around $20 the other day.

Yeah, comic book collecting over the last few decades isn't exactly a great way to make money. Action Comics #1 is the one, rare, gem that just happens to be awesomely valuable.
WalkerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2011, 11:05 PM   #471
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
New readers, right?
This book has been in the can for months, since it was supposed to be out in April, and they held it back for the New 52.

They mention how Bette Kane was a fucking Teen Titan. I mean, am I supposed to even know why Bette knows Kate's Batwoman? Perhaps this was handled in the #0 thing that I missed.
Bette figures it out in the story arc after "Elegy," the one that Jock drew, the one that hasn't been collected yet.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2011, 11:44 PM   #472
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Point A: yeah, I mean, it's understandable, and I don't mind it a bit myself--I know who Deathstroke is, I know he's somewhat badass, so Bette fighting him and not dying is sort of impressive--but I'm trying to pretend I'm a new reader. I think there was some dialogue that was rewritten; I'm not sure why this wasn't.

But like I said, minor quibble.

Point B: Oops. Research fail. But that explains why I missed it. If it ain't Williams, I never heard of it.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 12:27 AM   #473
PluckyNinja
Lieutenant Commander

I've been away from comics in general for a while. Even when I did collect regularly I was mostly into Marvel. I however pretty much on a whim decided to pre pay at my local comic shop for all 52 #1s. Got a pretty good deal.

Stand out for me from last week was Animal Man. I don't recall ever hearing of the character before but after one issue I have a pretty good idea who the guy is. Quite liked the depth of his family life. Also hope my kids don't pet the cat too much now.

This week so far I have read Batman & Robin, Superboy, Frankenstein, Green Lantern and Red Lanterns. Quite enjoyed the first three and the two Lantern books weren't bad at all.

Frankenstein was just plain fun. I like monsters and Sci-fi and I got both in a neat story line. Nothing too deep, just fun.

Superboy made me think of Astroboy and Luke from The Sarah Jane Adventures. Really got into the character. Thought the story went bad when they sent him to school so soon but it turned out well.

In Batman and Robin I'm interested to see the relationship between Bruce and Damian evolve. Didn't even know Bruce Wayne had a son. Very curious to find out more about the new villain as well.

I'll have trouble deciding which books to stick with. I wanted to limit myself to four but don't know if I'll be able too.
An angel visited this gray path,
and took the cube away.
PluckyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 12:47 AM   #474
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Frankenstein has Ray Palmer in it. That's cool.
Old September 15 2011, 12:48 AM   #475
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Damian was introduced in Grant Morrison's opening arc called Batman and Son. This is really the first time the two of them will be spending any extended length of time together.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 01:23 AM   #476
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Really? I forgot to pick that up today. I'll fix that.

Demon Knights: I was looking forward to this, but was prepared to be disappointed. I teach Arthurian Lit, love Paul Cornell's work, love Wagner's Madame Xanadu. So this could have gone so wrong.

It doesn't. Demon Knights is ridiculously fun, drawing on Wagner's Xanadu and Morrison's Seven Soldiers at the same time, clearly aiming to reconcile, expand, and explore DC's multiple Camelots. Vandal Savage is an amoral fun-lovin' guy. I'm sure there's a Wonder Woman connection in the mysterious woman at the pub. I'm in for the long haul with this one (and given the connection with Cornell's Stormwatch, I'm probably now committed to that one, too).
Old September 15 2011, 01:30 AM   #477
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

The woman in the pub is an Amazon.
Old September 15 2011, 01:38 AM   #478
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Derishton wrote: View Post
Really? I forgot to pick that up today. I'll fix that.

Demon Knights: I was looking forward to this, but was prepared to be disappointed. I teach Arthurian Lit, love Paul Cornell's work, love Wagner's Madame Xanadu. So this could have gone so wrong.

It doesn't. Demon Knights is ridiculously fun, drawing on Wagner's Xanadu and Morrison's Seven Soldiers at the same time, clearly aiming to reconcile, expand, and explore DC's multiple Camelots. Vandal Savage is an amoral fun-lovin' guy. I'm sure there's a Wonder Woman connection in the mysterious woman at the pub. I'm in for the long haul with this one (and given the connection with Cornell's Stormwatch, I'm probably now committed to that one, too).
Agreed. Though, I wish his Stormwatch was better.
Old September 15 2011, 01:38 AM   #479
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Why must Johns write Hal as a dumb ass? The only reason why I might continue reading Green Lantern is the Sinestro arc.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 01:49 AM   #480
byron lomax
Commander

Managed to pick up a handful of these - Action Comics seems like a promising re-invention of Superman, but Animal Man was the best of the bunch. This character always had a lot of potential, and the new writer seems to be getting his inspiration from Jamie Delano's run on the title. This issue was damn creepy, and seems a lot like Vertigo material seeping into a mainstream DC title. I'll definitely follow up on these two.

Detective Comics wasn't half-bad either. Obviously Tony Daniel has some way to go as a writer, but he managed to put together a good issue, even if plain-psycho Joker is boring.
byron lomax is offline   Reply With Quote