Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 14 2011, 05:32 AM   #451
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

^ I thought the Kirby case was resolved already.
Old September 14 2011, 06:01 AM   #452
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Sorry if this question might seem stupid but if I purchased the new rebooted Action Comic #1 or DC Comic's Batman #1 would it be valuable in the future?
Old September 14 2011, 06:18 AM   #453
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Probably less than Superman 75 or any other comic from that year.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2011, 06:44 AM   #454
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Sorry if this question might seem stupid but if I purchased the new rebooted Action Comic #1 or DC Comic's Batman #1 would it be valuable in the future?
Define "future".
Old September 14 2011, 11:17 AM   #455
TemporalFlux
Commodore

Well, right now on Ebay you can can double your money on a first print of Action #1 Vol. 2; and you can quintuple your money on a first print of Detective #1 Vol. 2. Not bad for a week old, but it will be interesting to see how it holds up. The only ones that will have worth are the first prints; and I never expect them to break $100.00 (may not even sustain $25.00 or even $10.00 in the long term). Both of those books had large numbers of orders; they won't be that rare.

Now something like Animal Man #1 that was under-ordered; that may break the $100.00 mark before it's over. It's already selling for up to $22.50 on EBay.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2011, 11:43 AM   #456
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

It's impossible to say.

I would guess no that it would not be for several reasons.

First of all the reason why the real Action Comics #1 is so valuable, one of the most valuable collectibles around as a matter of fact, one recently sold at auction for $1m. Is because back when it came out comic books weren't collected. Kids bought them read them and then threw them away, they became scattered around the bedroom, torn up, etc. So the few that survived of the 200K that were made are rare and, thus, valuable.

Secondly, I'm not sure how many are being printed now but only 200K copies of the first printing of Action Comics #1 (Original) were made. Again, only a handful of those survived the last 70-80 years. I suspect that this Action Comics printing was a lot more than 2 million.

Thirdly, Action Comics #1 is only so valuable because it pretty much introduced the world to superheroes and especially Superman. For all intents and purposes it's valuable because it was the first comic book.

Also in the decades since Superman is a popular culture icon who defines the entire genre even though he has changed greatly since that book came out. This new one is a dying industry rebooting a character to try and drum up interest while also erasing away decades worth of continuity mess and complication. This reboot wasn't born of creative inspiration it was born of commercial necessity.

Now, as said, the current AC1 has already increased in value simply because their are collectors out there who want it and it's hard, if not impossible, to get through retail outlets. So people out there are willing to pay $20, $30 to buy a $4 comic book. But what will that be like a year from now? Ten years from now? 25 years from now?

Will this reboot be so "great" that it redefines the character and industry so much that people can look back on it and say, "Wow! That DC reboot was incredible!" We don't know and only time can tell.

This new comic will never be as valuable as Action Comics #1, in fact it'll never be in even the same city as the ballpark AC1 is in. Even 80 years from now it's doubtful this comic book will be as valuable then as AC1 is now. But AC1 is just one of those collectible gems that started an entire industry and defined an entire arm of popular culture.

This comic book "could" be worth "something" down the road but I wouldn't buy one just because you think you'll cash it in down the road when you really need some scratch. Unless you've got an overdue electric bill to pay for or something.

But, all said, something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. AC1 is only worth $1m because people are willing to pay that for it, hell if I had that kind of money I'd be willing to, too.

Right now, this AC1 -looking on eBay - is going from cover price to about $10.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2011, 03:15 PM   #457
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Marvel won a summary judgment. Doesn't mean it's resolved.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2011, 04:32 PM   #458
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I haven't been e-bay window shopping. Damn, if that is the case, maybe I should buy a few of the #1s just to sell off within the next week.

Dennis wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
Marvel won a summary judgment. Doesn't mean it's resolved.
Ah.
Old September 14 2011, 06:32 PM   #459
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I really enjoyed Batman and Robin #1. Will be continuing to follow it. As expected Bruce has a very direct manner with Damian than Dick did and the little bastard is going to have to do his best to start earning his father's trust. Some of the dialogue and panels felt like it was almost Grant Morrison writing this book still. Patrick Gleeson's art is clean and crisp in some page but then hard an edgy in others. The inconsistency is why I dislike his work in general. Tomasi has introduced a new bad guy or perhaps someone old in a new guise in this issue as well. This is probably my second favorite book of the 52'Verse so far.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2011, 07:02 PM   #460
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Short term - yes. Long term - no.

The value of a comic is determined simply by supply and demand. Less supply + demand = higher value.

But they've printed MILLIONS of nuAction Comics #1 and it's going to be available in digital format because younger generations do not care about the physical copy.

I have a copy of post crisis Superman #1 from the 80's. I was thrilled then to actually own a copy of "a" Superman #1....I also thought it would be valuable in "the future" (which would be now). You can find this book in any bin for about 1.00 -1.50.

Like many of the over hyped books during the speculator years of the 90's, the books have a short term value as people rush out to buy them due to hype and can't get them. Once the books are reprinted, demand will go down.

As for "first printing" "second printing" etc, etc...most people could care less about that, as that's just some words that really mean nothing to them. All they care about is that the story is the same....which it will be.

And again, we are moving into a time where younger generations do not care about the tactile experience...that is they no longer care about owning the physical media that contains illustrated stories or songs.....they only care about the data on them. That's a factor in the decline of cd sales and now comic books.

So there's even less demand for a paper copy now than there was in the 90's. High supply + little demand = worthless.

There are bins and bins full of Image books that were hyped, and initially sold out upon release. People worried they might not get a copy, they rushed out to buy, in some cases multiple copies. Once new prints came in......well let's just say 99% of those books are now in the .25cent bins and for years comic shops couldn't get rid of those books no matter how hard they tried.

IMO, sell now, no long term value.
Old September 14 2011, 07:12 PM   #461
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

In the long term, comics are the worst way to make money. Better to leave it in a bank account.
Old September 14 2011, 07:25 PM   #462
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

The Lensman wrote: View Post
I have a copy of post crisis Superman #1 from the 80's. I was thrilled then to actually own a copy of "a" Superman #1....I also thought it would be valuable in "the future" (which would be now). You can find this book in any bin for about 1.00 -1.50.
A few years back, I was at a comic convention. I came across Superman (vol. 2) #1 at one of the dealer booths for a buck or two. I picked it up and then made it my mission to find all the other #1s from the various ongoing post-crisis Superman series. Not only was I successful, but I ended up spending less than $10 for all of them combined.
Old September 14 2011, 08:57 PM   #463
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

In Suicide Squad, Waller's gotten thin and hot.

No place for large ladies in the DCU...

NERD RAGE!

Kidding.
Old September 14 2011, 09:05 PM   #464
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Try Scans Daily.

I'm sure they'll be soon crying for the testicles of everyone involved in SS.
Old September 14 2011, 09:40 PM   #465
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Well, the 9/14 books are out on Comixology. Yay! In a very qualified way.

What I got (many spoilers, but you knew that already):

As I mentioned before, GRIFTER has a really good premise for a B-grade (or even A-grade) sci-fi film, so I was actually a little excited. What were they gonna do with it?

The inevitable answer is, of course, waste it entirely! They do this by completely obviating any tension that might be developed by the ambiguity of whether Cole Cash is really killing aliens, or just regular folk he thinks are aliens.

There's little going on here beyond setting up the basic shit that the story's about, which isn't even what I thought it would be about, and the book has a script that takes you out of the story as often as not (my favorite part is how street vendors leave cowboy hats unattended on shelves erected on sidewalks, so that Cole can steal one--I mean really?). The last page where Cole puts on his Grifter mask is tacked on in the worst way, and more than a little retarded.

This is dire, and it just makes me sad.

Grade: D.

FRANKENSTEIN, AGENT OF S.H.A.D.E. is actually kind of okay, as a sort of goofy fun time. I bought this on the strength of Lemire's Animal Man last week. Animal Man is about ten times better and more important, which means that if Frankenstein is worth $3, Animal Man is worth $30. I don't think Animal Man was that good, so Frankenstein must not actually be worth that much, huh?

Maybe I would like this better if I'd read the Morrison series? But probably not. It's just a bunch of wacky shit thrown against the wall in a pattern that isn't altogether displeasing, but after a few minutes it slides down and you're just left with a pile.

Also, blue lettering on black boxes. What's your deal, Pat Brosseau? Is it your first day?

Grade: C

RESURRECTION MAN was really good (if somewhat overwrought) up until the angel took off its fleshsuit and the superhero fight happened. I was ready to give it the Animal Man Award for surprising me with quality.

It's still reasonably good. The art's pretty and appropriate, except the angel looked stupid.

Grade: C+.

LEGION LOST is about the anachronistic adventures of all the Legionnaires I don't care about, and Tyroc. Except I didn't even realize it was Tyroc for half the book because 1)afro? more like afron't--I thought the character design would have been fine for some random new guy, but when I realized it was supposed to be Tyroc I was struck with sadness; and 2)they take forever to mention people's names, and even when they do it's in that really Legiony way of referring to people by their first names or by a diminutive of their code names. This is fine, but if there was ever a book that needs that a dramatis personae, it's the Legion. This is hardly rocket science, is it?

The story is pretty thin and makes almost no sense, largely because it seems to be part 23 of an ongoing narrative. Who was the villain? I don't remember his name, I've never heard of him before, and he looked terrible. Anyway, he unleashed some kind of plague on the 21st century? The villain blows himself up in the end. I have no idea why.

However, the next-to-last page bumps this otherwise dumb book up a whole letter grade because there is this three panel sequence that is amazing. After the villain blows up, their time sphere is wrecked and Gates and this Durlan (Chameleon Girl MAYBE? I HAVE NO IDEA THEY NEVER SAY HER NAME*) are missing, and Wildfire and Tyroc are all like "Where are they?" but Timber Wolf and Dawnstar have got Daredevil or at least Wolverine senses and are oh fuck it I'll just post it:

Nice.

They're probably not dead, though. They're on the cover. Though God knows why they expect me to care about them coming back.

Grade for page 19: A+. Grade for everything else: C. Average grade: B, I guess. I don't know from math.

BATWOMAN! If you don't buy this it's because you hate beautiful things. Why would you hate beautiful things?

I miss Greg Rucka, though. The story and pacing are actually fine, but J.H. Williams and W. Haden Blackman do some clunky dialogue toward the end, expositing at length on why Batwoman hates her dad because of things that happened two years ago (for us) in Elegy.

New readers, right? They mention how Bette Kane was a fucking Teen Titan. I mean, am I supposed to even know why Bette knows Kate's Batwoman? Perhaps this was handled in the #0 thing that I missed. Also, I like how Mr. Bones is just there in the DEO, like this kind of shit is normal. You don't have to explain what a living skeleton is doing heading up a government agency, right?

...Or mention his name. WTF is it with this week and unnamed weirdos?

I was also slightly thrown that the Hydrology arc (that's the name of the story, see) is actually about a water ghost or something, and wasn't a clever reference to Alice's body on the bottom of Gotham Harbor, or maybe not being there, and instead crawling back out to menace our heroine with creepy mouth razors again. I mean, maybe I'm the idiot, but I thought that's what the cover was referring to.

But these are minor quibbles!

Grade: A.

Bonus! I read OMAC too, although it came out last week. It's neat, although a little wasteful of its pages. The last line is pretty great.

Grade: B if you really like Kirby pastiches, C+ if you don't.

I think the overarching criticism is that holy shit is 20 pages too short for a comic book. The only ones that approach appropriate density are Batwoman and Resurrection Man.

TL; DR--This is not as good as Week 1. Batwoman is of course fucking excellent, but there is nothing to surprise in this group, nothing like Animal Man, at least of the ones I was willing to lay down money for.

*Edit: Actually, they do. It says something about the formula of Legion names that I was able to guess it correctly without ever seeing her before. Also, I am the idiot for not realizing that that was Tyroc (there's a line about "harmonic powers"), although this approach is seriously new-reader unfriendly.

Anyway, I know this something no one else cares about, but the whole idea of a Chameleon [gender] bugs me. Forgive them, Mark Waid, they know not what they do.

Last edited by Myasishchev; September 14 2011 at 10:18 PM.
Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote