Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 13 2011, 10:22 PM   #436
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Aw, I wish I'd edited that faster. Even today, it would likely would survive a 12(b)(6) motion. I mean, they do manage to state a claim. However, it would surely get thrown out at summary judgment in any present-day court.

I like Captain Marvel too, but it's weird to think that at one point he was the most popular superhero in the world, moving millions of units, when now the Marvel Family can't really even sustain its own title.

ETA: However, I've gotta say, unlike with most characters I like, I've got no idea what I would do if someone held a gun to my head and told me to reboot Cap, either. I can say that after Infinite Crisis, I'd have promoted Mary to the position of Captain Marvel, instead of that scrub Freddy Freeman. This is because I'm not sexist, and am not keen, like Grant "Rape? What Rape?" Morrison, on seeing Mary Marvel's nubile young body being abused by an incorporeal New God.

But I have no idea what kind of stories I would tell with her instead. Pretty much anything I'd come up with would probably rip off Miracleman. But someone must have some idea, right?

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2011, 10:34 PM   #437
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Aw, I wish I'd edited that faster. Even today, it would likely would survive a 12(b)(6) motion. I mean, they do manage to state a claim. However, it would surely get thrown out at summary judgment in any present-day court.

I like Captain Marvel too, but it's weird to think that at one point he was the most popular superhero in the world, moving millions of units, when now the Marvel Family can't really even sustain its own title.

ETA: However, I've gotta say, unlike with most characters I like, I've got no idea what I would do if someone held a gun to my head and told me to reboot Cap, either. I can say that after Infinite Crisis, I'd have promoted Mary to the position of Captain Marvel, instead of that scrub Freddy Freeman. This is because I'm not sexist, and am not keen, like Grant "Rape? What Rape?" Morrison, on seeing Mary Marvel's nubile young body being abused by an incorporeal New God.

But I have no idea what kind of stories I would tell with her instead. Pretty much anything I'd come up with would probably rip off Miracleman. But someone must have some idea, right?
I'd go back to Billy being Cap. Just restart it there. The basic thrust of the story would be Billy discovering that he's every much the hero that Captain Marvel is. A sorta Harry Potter thing, a young boy coming into his own. I would make it a "family friendly" book. But, beyond theme and tone, I don't have much specifics.
Old September 14 2011, 12:08 AM   #438
sojourner
Admiral

Woulda been nice if they had used Captain Marvel as "the big hero" in the flashpoint alternate timeline instead of Cyborg.
Old September 14 2011, 12:36 AM   #439
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ That would have been pretty cool. Geoff Johns loves Vic though.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2011, 12:43 AM   #440
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Woulda been nice if they had used Captain Marvel as "the big hero" in the flashpoint alternate timeline instead of Cyborg.
I kinda like what they did, but I think they were using Cyborg to help launch him in the NuNuDCU
Old September 14 2011, 12:46 AM   #441
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Marvel didn't have to do a trade for DC books, they did it because they wanted to prove something.
I wonder how that's going for them?

I'm sure they'll let us know that it's going really, really well.

Where the fuck are the calls for "boycott" against DC for ruining Fawcett with a bullshit legal campaign?
We're busy boycotting Japanese electronics because of, you know, the war.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2011, 12:52 AM   #442
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Both companies still have a good working relationship despite the healthy competition and for the most part when asked most of the Marvel creators have stated pretty decent things about the New 52. DiDio was asked in an interview by Newsarama that was posted today what he thought about Marvel's comments regarding the new 52 and of course Dan chose not to comment and stated he likes to focus on DC stuff That has been the company line. Tom Brevoort tends to use that line when people ask him about Marvel stuff lol.

Yes, characters like Deadman, Animal Man, and Cyborg are characters that DC has had a recent drive to push into the main stream. Jamie Reyes being another character. Mera as well (another character Geoff Johns has enjoyed writing and loves) so it isn't surprising that these characters are getting pushed more and more.

Old September 14 2011, 01:12 AM   #443
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Marvel didn't have to do a trade for DC books, they did it because they wanted to prove something.
I wonder how that's going for them?

I'm sure they'll let us know that it's going really, really well.
As I recall from the article, this was on Bleeding Cool, it was several months ago. Might've even been during that whole Black Night thing. I can't remember. But, well before the 52 thing.
Old September 14 2011, 01:26 AM   #444
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Yeah Bleeding Cool broke that story and it was during their whole relaunch coverage and it's fallout.

Old September 14 2011, 01:26 AM   #445
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

This is the second time, they have put out a call for ripped DC covers.

The first time was for Blackest Night covers inexchange for a limited edition Deadpool Cover of Siege.
Old September 14 2011, 03:17 AM   #446
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Dennis wrote:
Where the fuck are the calls for "boycott" against DC for ruining Fawcett with a bullshit legal campaign?
We're busy boycotting Japanese electronics because of, you know, the war.

I'm just saying, that if you're willing to boycott a company over their treatment of a couple of guys' heirs, which is really apparently only arguably bad (hence the mountain of litigation which I'm rather certain maybe 1% of the people who have formed a solid opinion about the Siegel/Shuster issue both have the training to understand and have actually understood--I barely have the former, and I certainly have not done the latter, but let's say for the sake of argument it's bad), why aren't you boycotting them already over destroying Fawcett through what is an obviously awful legal decision, and what seems today like nothing more than bad faith litigation?

Also, if the rights to Superman did fall out of DC's hands, would the Siegels and Shusters have a case for copyright infringement against DC if they published a Captain Marvel book? Would DC be precluded from even raising any defense?

Professor Zoom wrote:
I'd go back to Billy being Cap. Just restart it there. The basic thrust of the story would be Billy discovering that he's every much the hero that Captain Marvel is. A sorta Harry Potter thing, a young boy coming into his own. I would make it a "family friendly" book. But, beyond theme and tone, I don't have much specifics.
Yeah, as part of a reboot, I'd choose Billy Batson too. But that's the thing, I can't think of a single story that needs to be told about Billy Batson, either, except maybe an allegory where Superman kills him then dines on his corpse.

Which is not at all to say that I don't think anyone can. I'd love to see someone who had a true love and deep knowledge of the character do an All-Star Captain Marvel (or Shazam! if need be).

Old September 14 2011, 03:37 AM   #447
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ That would be awesome. I could see something like this from Jim Kruger and Alex Ross (who is a big Captain Marvel fan).

Old September 14 2011, 03:43 AM   #448
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

I was under the impression that Fawcett was pretty close to throwing in the towel on their comic book line about the time of the second lawsuit anyway. Like a lot of comic book publishers in the early 50s, sales were dropping like a stone and Fawcett was looking to cut their losses. Probably to focus on their magazine and book publishing.
Old September 14 2011, 03:48 AM   #449
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I was under the impression that Fawcett was pretty close to throwing in the towel on their comic book line about the time of the second lawsuit anyway. Like a lot of comic book publishers in the early 50s, sales were dropping like a stone and Fawcett was looking to cut their losses. Probably to focus on their magazine and book publishing.
Well, that's true, too, iirc; that's why they didn't appeal it past Learned Hand and his culturally illiterate bench.

Old September 14 2011, 03:52 AM   #450
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I'm just saying, that if you're willing to boycott a company over their treatment of a couple of guys' heirs, which is really apparently only arguably bad (hence the mountain of litigation which I'm rather certain maybe 1% of the people who have formed a solid opinion about the Siegel/Shuster issue both have the training to understand and have actually understood--I barely have the former, and I certainly have not done the latter, but let's say for the sake of argument it's bad), why aren't you boycotting them already over destroying Fawcett through what is an obviously awful legal decision, and what seems today like nothing more than bad faith litigation?
Yeah, it's a fair question and I imagine the answer is two things - first, there's current litigation going on in the Siegel/Shuster and Kirby cases and - as far as I know - not the Fawcett case so more people are somewhat familiar with the issues, and secondly people are more likely to get riled up on behalf of individuals than companies. Kirby in particular is an idol and hero to many fans.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote