Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 11 2011, 05:14 AM   #361
scnj
Captain

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

sojourner wrote: View Post
Someone mentioned an unused design for superman's costume at the back of JLA or JLI, does anyone have a scan of that?
There are unused designs for Green Lantern and Aquaman, but the Superman sketch is just his current outfit.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 05:26 AM   #362
Nowhere Man
Commodore

scnj wrote: View Post
Someone mentioned an unused design for superman's costume at the back of JLA or JLI, does anyone have a scan of that?
There are unused designs for Green Lantern and Aquaman, but the Superman sketch is just his current outfit.
There is a scetch of a new version that is not seen in JL #1. It has red on the fore arm and the cape is attached to the shield. The blue is darker. It reads

Superman: The red underwear is gone, and in this version the cape is attached to the armor itelf. The full story of this costume will be played out in Action Comics.

This is what I don't get, why does Superman need armor?
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 06:03 AM   #363
sojourner
Vice Admiral

If in AC1 he doesn't know about his kryptonian heritage, then where does the "S" shield that he is wearing come from?
Old September 11 2011, 06:13 AM   #364
C_Miller
Captain

Hilbilly Rage wrote: View Post
scnj wrote: View Post
There is a scetch of a new version that is not seen in JL #1. It has red on the fore arm and the cape is attached to the shield. The blue is darker. It reads

Superman: The red underwear is gone, and in this version the cape is attached to the armor itelf. The full story of this costume will be played out in Action Comics.

This is what I don't get, why does Superman need armor?
Superman doesn't. But if it's Kryptonian armor (which I think it is), it's because on Krypton, they don't have powers
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 06:21 AM   #365
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

You know, if they wanted to go balls-out for the Golden Age, they would all have powers. Of course, then it makes even less sense unless the whole species agreed to commit suigenocide.

Science!:

First, I want to say I really adore the transhumanist bent of the piece, and those guys jumping around in the super-gravity is really cool. What happens when they land wherever they're aiming for at 500m/s? Do they have designated landing pads? Imagine the city planning on a planet where people leap an 1/8th of a mile instead of walking.

But, yeah. I guess this sort of thing seemed less retarded before an understanding of geology that included plate tectonics and the relationship between gravity and geological activity. Interestingly, a bigger planet means less likelihood of a biosphere-ending event; my understanding is that it's smaller planets, like Venus, that wind up with vulcanism-related holocausts, because they aren't massive enough to force hot material through the crust and release energy in shorter, less damaging bursts, as happens on Earth, and instead the crust just keeps cooling and thickening until finally it's too heavy for the mantle to support, when the entire damn thing collapses.*

Anyway, there's no excuse for the ignorance of the cube-square law up there. Humans would have a high strength to mass ratio too if they were only two millimeters tall. So an ant isn't crushed by a third of a gram, color me impressed.

Of course, for all of its problems, it's certainly no sillier than the classical yellow rays stuff.

Personally, I prefer a hybrid, where Kryptonians are sort-of-super on Krypton, with roughly Action Comics #1 powers, but under a G-type star develop their god-mode. I think about these things because I am a total dork.

*And by the way, God bless the Legion of Super-Heroes show for depicting Krypton as simply subsumed by lava instead of completely shattered.

Last edited by Myasishchev; September 11 2011 at 06:52 AM.
Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 06:41 AM   #366
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Did anyone notice the Legion reference in Action Comics 1?

theenglish wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
A beaker full of death wrote: View Post

What, they're more than that now?
That's obscene. In my day they were 25 cents.
12 cents, baby.
My first comic was an issue of Iron Fist that was STILL ONLY 15 CENTS!
Wait...people buy comics? Its easier and cheaper just to steal them.
Old September 11 2011, 06:55 AM   #367
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

And cbrs look better than legitimately purchased digital comics.

Old September 11 2011, 08:51 AM   #368
Nowhere Man
Commodore

Detective Comics #1: What can I say really, it's Batman all the way. It's very gritty, very dark and very cool. It reminds me very much of the Nolanverse. I love the costume, I love Gordon's look, I love the Batcave and I absolutely love the Batmobile. This is by far my favorite Batmobile, it has a Burton look to it, but cooler. I can't really say much else, it's just awsome. You just have to see for yourself. When I read Batman my inner voice automatically sounds like Kevin Conroy's Batman and sometimes Bale, but my Joker is clearly Mark Hamil. I just can't help it, those are engrained into my brain. I love Superman, but I have to give it to Batman this time Detectice Comics #1 is better than Action Comics#1 this time around, though I liked them both. A/A+

Green Arrow is next.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 10:00 AM   #369
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

@Sojourner there have been depictions of Superman where he has known nothing about his Kryptonian heritage and still worn the S. "Smallville" I think is an example of this and I may be wrong but didn't "Lois and Clark" Clark didn't know about his heritage until he was contacted by those Kryptonians? I've forgotten. There are examples. Besides which, Morrison knows what he's doing.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 03:17 PM   #370
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
@Sojourner there have been depictions of Superman where he has known nothing about his Kryptonian heritage and still worn the S. "Smallville" I think is an example of this and I may be wrong but didn't "Lois and Clark" Clark didn't know about his heritage until he was contacted by those Kryptonians? I've forgotten. There are examples. Besides which, Morrison knows what he's doing.
In Lois and Clark, the S came from Kal-El's ship. In Byrne's Superman reboot the S was just a design that Clark and Pa came up with when Ma was designing and sewing the rest of the costume. In both versions he learned more about his heritage only after he became Superman.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 05:20 PM   #371
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
And cbrs look better than legitimately purchased digital comics.
They really do. Sadly, it'll be betamax all over again.
Old September 11 2011, 06:06 PM   #372
DarKush
Rear Admiral

My take on the issues read thus far:

Batwing: I was surprised by how much I liked this one. The artwork was pretty good. The story was fast paced and ended on a great cliffhanger.

Batman: Solid enough Batman/Joker story, elevated by the mysterious, cliffhanger ending.

Action: I liked this one better than I expected. The social crusading Superman is interesting, as is the overt mention of class.

Static: I was a little disappointed in this one. Didn't care for the artwork and the story was just okay. I did like the inclusion of Hardware as Static's mentor of sorts.

Justice League International: Decent opener. I think it's an interesting team mix. It's one that I might give a couple more shots to get a feel for.

Batgirl: Not as bad as some of the critics said, though I wish they had just started out Barbara as Batgirl from scratch, eliminating The Killing Joke as part of her past. Adding it, perhaps in an attempt to satisfy Oracle fans, doesn't quite work for me. This is a book I could take or leave.

Green Arrow: Serviceable, but I could take or leave.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 06:07 PM   #373
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I don't know much about digital comics, so what's cbrs?
Old September 11 2011, 06:51 PM   #374
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
I don't know much about digital comics, so what's cbrs?
.cbr (RAR archive) and .cbz (ZIP archive) files are the standard format that scanned comic book jpeg/png archives are kept in, accessible by a specialized comic book reader like CDisplay or Comical.

They're the usual format for pirated books, but also stuff like the Digital Comics Museum.

And I admit I'm pretty new to the ComiXology stuff, so maybe there's an option to turn it into something as simple and elegant as big png's of pages on my screen, rather than the attempted illusion of my monitor holding up a physical comic a foot and a half from my face, complete with laughable shading gradient in the center of the two-page spread to indicate the curve toward the spine.

Old September 11 2011, 09:12 PM   #375
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

If in AC1 he doesn't know about his kryptonian heritage, then where does the "S" shield that he is wearing come from?
Same place it's come from for most of his existence - it stands for

wait for it

"Superman."

This "House of El" shit didn't start until they slapped the S on Marlon Brando in 1978.