Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 16 2012, 06:05 AM   #3451
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

So, I know suspension of disbelief and all, but this does bother me: If Haley's Circus is traveling the country, and Nightwing keeps popping up in whichever city it's currently in, don't you think somebody is going to make a connection here? Dick is way smarter than that.
Old February 16 2012, 06:14 AM   #3452
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I dropped "Nightwing". I expected more from Kyle Higgins based on his excellent Gates of Gotham mini and this is clearly a step back from being Batman IMO.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 06:46 AM   #3453
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i think Nightwing is a lot of fun. though OdoWanKenobi brings up a good point. i was wondering the same thing while reading today's issue.
Old February 16 2012, 08:31 AM   #3454
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Batman #6: I respectfully disagree with Trekker about the art work, it is supposed to look the way it looks. I stand by my earlier statement and agree with House of UIster's statement. This is a pure psychological story that Snyder is exploring. This is what he does best as a writer. I will agree that it seems to be dragging on a bit, but it is clear to me now that Synder is intending this arc to explore what makes Bruce tick. What pushes and drives him. Trekker mentioned "overpowering" Batman. This story intends to touch on just that. Just as RIP attempted to do. How much chaos and insanity can one man take before he breaks? Bruce has endured so much over the years, including the snapping of his spine. He still comes back. Right now (story wise) in "Batman, Incorporated" he will be engaged in a psychological and physical war (one assumes) with a woman who is the mother of his child and whom he has struggled to love. Snyder is tapping into the very essence of what Bruce makes Batman IMO. Same thing that Morrison does. Only Synder is going about it in a very different way. That's my take on the book.

Wonder Woman #6: Oooooh I love this book. I think this book out of all the New 52 that I've read has surprised me the most. Just delightful the exploration of the gods and the schemes and politics. Diana being in the middle of it all makes it all the better. This Lennox character reminds me of Manchester Black, or John Constantine. Cliff Chiang's artwork though impresses me the most. It just works for the tone and designs. Diana looks absolutely beautiful to me. I'll be picking up her action figure when it comes out.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; February 16 2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old February 16 2012, 08:59 AM   #3455
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
Girls reading comics? That's more elusive than new readers.
Well, there's that, but I can see that. My ex read a lot of comics.

Then there's the "impress her" part, which I could maybe sort of see. Sandman? Yeah, okay, back in the day there were some cool chicks who might look favorably on your ability to be like Morpheus, which actually says some pretty negative things about their willingness to enter into abusive relationships, but whatever. I know of no comic in the past decade that was a similar cultural phenomenon, let alone that could potentially involve comic readers actually having sex ("The Walking Dead gets me so hot").

Then there's the "Red Hood and the Outlaws" part, which indicates that the statement clearly comes from the mirror universe, where everyone wears beards and Scott Lobdell is sexy.
I know, I know. I really hated the first issue. I thought it was sexist and disgusting. However, this girl is obsessed with both Starfire and Jason Todd for some reason, and so is blind to the flaws. In her own words: "Starfire is getting some booty. Good for her." So yeah, I gave it a second chance in order to make her happy. It actually does get better. Though this month's was a little underwhelming. I was expecting a bit more from Jason and Kori's first meeting.
On the plus side, I imagine she's much less pretentious than the Morpheus chicks. But what you need is someone who thought Ted Kord and Booster Gold were the coolest superheroes ever; okay, sometimes I miss my ex-girlfriend I think that's normal and healthy don't you?

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 01:40 PM   #3456
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

OdoWan would you even pay any attention to a circus much less its performers when it comes to your city? So the circus is in town and so are 40 other conventions and several dozens bands and the WWE so which one do you watch to find Nightwing? As a criminal your not even putting the two together because there are to many other things on your mind. There would be no reason to connect a circus and Nightwing.
Icemizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 04:02 PM   #3457
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
Someone paying attention that had in interest though, could.
The same events wouldn't always converge so a pattern would emerge.
Circus, WWE, Concert, Medical Conference=City 1
Circus, Concert, Gun Show=City 2
Circus, WWE, Sports event=City 3
Circus, Dog Show, Concert=City 4

A pattern would emerge to someone seeking to out Nightwing.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 04:05 PM   #3458
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Batman #6: I respectfully disagree with Trekker about the art work, it is supposed to look the way it looks. I stand by my earlier statement and agree with House of UIster's statement. This is a pure psychological story that Snyder is exploring. This is what he does best as a writer. I will agree that it seems to be dragging on a bit, but it is clear to me now that Synder is intending this arc to explore what makes Bruce tick. What pushes and drives him. Trekker mentioned "overpowering" Batman.
But, here's the thing: Many people dis-like Superman because he's too powerful so his enemies usually are easily defeated or have to be even more ridiculously over-powered to pose a threat. Here we have Batman, a man who is a mortal, regular, human being, who has been trapped in a labyrinth for over a week and deprived of nutrition and sleep. As much as Bruce has toned and trained his body he's still a human being who needs these very basic things to function, without food his body is going to start attacking muscle tissue to survive, without sleep he's going to be weakened and not very mentally acute. The most I think we've seen him have is drugged water.

It's absurd to think that Batman can just pretty much shrug off being stabbed through the back and out his chest, being sleep-deprived and nutrition deprived and then turn around and start whooping ass and tossing men through marble like it's no big deal.

I assume the art is going for a certain "style" during this arc but it didn't work for me as sometimes it just looked lame, the "hulking out" moment looked silly and overdrawn as did the subsequent panels of him hulked out with overdrawn fang-like teeth. It just didn't work for me.
Old February 16 2012, 09:10 PM   #3459
JRS
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JRS

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
The boob window outrage is funny. PG dumped that version of her costume early on ( by her seventh appearance) and it was only brought back when she re-joined the JSA around 2002. Memorable, but hardly iconic.
It is at least amusing, though I do find also funny the comments that say something like this: "They got rid of the boob window, now I can finally read this book".
Anyway, I am happy that Power Girl makes a return. I will be adding this book to my shopping list for sure
The new costume looks fine, though maybe bit bland color wise.
I just wonder if they keep the bust size, though..
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 10:22 PM   #3460
JD
Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Batman, Incorporated isn't a replacement book, it's the continuation of "Batman, Inc". It's just joining the New 52'verse. I forgot some were cancelled.
So is this going to be another ongoing then? I was under the impression it was a limited series that was tying up Morrison's loose ends from his last time writing Batman.
Old February 16 2012, 10:32 PM   #3461
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ It's not another ongoing and it will wrap Morrison's story up as has been mentioned many times before in the thread. I believe it is twelve issues.

@Trekker House of UIster pointed out this could all be in Bruce's mind, which I agreed with. If you take that into context then the stabbing and everything Bruce went through in issue five and six didn't actually happen. As I mentioned this is a psychological attack against the Batman.

J.T. Krul talks Superman Beyond...which will have both a print and digital run.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/jt-k...nd-120215.html

Last edited by Admiral_Young; February 17 2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old February 16 2012, 10:57 PM   #3462
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

It could be going on in his mind, however, at this time nothing has shown that beyond Batman the last couple issues basically being a fanboy wank material of him being invulnerable to basic human needs and being able to "Hulk Out" and beomce a Liefeldian abomination of a creature.
Old February 16 2012, 11:07 PM   #3463
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
^^^
Someone paying attention that had in interest though, could.
The same events wouldn't always converge so a pattern would emerge.
Circus, WWE, Concert, Medical Conference=City 1
Circus, Concert, Gun Show=City 2
Circus, WWE, Sports event=City 3
Circus, Dog Show, Concert=City 4

A pattern would emerge to someone seeking to out Nightwing.
Who says it even has to be a criminal? What if it's some fanboy on the internet with way too much time on his hands, that notices Nightwing has been getting spotted outside of Gotham and Bludhaven a lot lately. Then he goes looking for a common thread that may explain it.

Actually, a story about a superhero getting outed by internet nerds on a message board is something I would love to read.
Old February 16 2012, 11:07 PM   #3464
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yeah I disagree with that assessment completely and have more faith in Snyder as a story teller. Maybe it's getting time for you to drop the book then? This is going to be a long story arc it seems stretching into the summer time. Personally I don't see Synder changing things too much as we continue to find out who exactly the Court of Owls.

Old February 16 2012, 11:58 PM   #3465
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It could be going on in his mind, however, at this time nothing has shown that beyond Batman the last couple issues basically being a fanboy wank material of him being invulnerable to basic human needs and being able to "Hulk Out" and beomce a Liefeldian abomination of a creature.
Hulk out? I think there is a serious disconnect between you and the rest of the audience. Those scenes are clearly indications that he is suffering mentally and physically vulnerable due to the time he spent in the labyrinth without food and drinking the drugged water. Much of the last issue was his mind slowly becoming disoriented as he wandered through the place. This issue really was Bruce losing it, as we see in the more cartoonish scenes you panned and which undoubtedly were hallucinations. But also it was about Bruce recovering and pulling the rug out from under Talon and the Court. The differences are laid bare in the art styles. The ones in his mind are very stylistic reminiscent of a horror comic like Spawn while the scenes set in reality are less so.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote