TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 9 2012, 08:06 PM   #3361
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

DC is a corporation. They exist to make money.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2012, 08:11 PM   #3362
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Remember too that DC has been testing out all kinds of various markets. They've promoted digital before. I really don't see what the big deal is, they're doing something that is obviously targeted to a specific fanbase, not the larger DC fanbase. Are you trying to say that they shouldn't bother with this at all or something? I personally think that they should have gone with their original intention and done a novel. I would have bought it in a second. I'm sure there would be other "Smallville" fans that would have done the same.

DC thinks digital is the best format for this. They're obviously testing to see if this will draw attention, if it does, I wouldn't be surprised if we did eventually get a comic.

http://blog.newsarama.com/2012/02/09...igital-weekly/

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2012, 08:19 PM   #3363
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

They are already testing it. Remember all the 52 comics are being distributed digitally already.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2012, 08:22 PM   #3364
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

My point exactly, which is what I meant when I said they've promoted digital before. Aren't the New 52 selling digitally? I don't see why this wouldn't. Oh yeah that's right. The digital sales aren't released or something like that. I'm still not sure what you're arguing. Broc pointed out that this is different than the original tie-in comic. That comic IIRC was original stories. This is different since it deals with the continuation of the canon. A very different thing.

Old February 9 2012, 09:24 PM   #3365
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Batgirl was pretty good, still a book I am enjoying.
Old February 9 2012, 09:48 PM   #3366
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
However, this comic is clearly a different beast than the previous one to the point where DC thinks that it will be successful enough to warrant it.
So instead of a monthly floppy, it's a weekly webcomic? That pretty much means they know it's not going to do well and are only experimenting. Note that Marvel/DC attempts at webcomics have been notably low-key with low volume sales (the Beyond Justice League, movie tie-ins etc)
Which means they know they are marketing to a different audience. The books will still reach print, but just a month behind.

Besides, who cares if it fails or not? DC is simply bringing out a new comic (rumors of which have been circulating since Smallville declared year ten as the final one).

I can't understand why you seem to be argumentative over something so trivial?

Just because something didn't quite work before doesn't meat it will never work. Just look at how many times Star Trek comics have been cancelled and then started up again.
Thank you for making my point.
Actually, I didn't do that at all. IDW's continued success with Trek comics for the past ten years shows that something eventually does work if the right approach is taken. If anything, I've furthered established my point.
Old February 9 2012, 09:51 PM   #3367
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

You know...I'm kind of surprised they didn't put these out as a series of Graphic Novels. Like what they're doing with Earth One and what Marvel just started doing with their Season One line. Really though for me as a "Smallville" fan I probably would check out whatever they decided to do

Old February 9 2012, 09:57 PM   #3368
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

You just know they will eventually.
Old February 9 2012, 10:58 PM   #3369
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Isn't Smallville Season 11 just Superman? I mean, are there seriously people who are so enamored of the show and want to read comics, but don't want to read Superman?
Old February 9 2012, 11:11 PM   #3370
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

It's Superman with the "Smallville" version of the characters and backstory.
Old February 9 2012, 11:44 PM   #3371
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Isn't Smallville Season 11 just Superman? I mean, are there seriously people who are so enamored of the show and want to read comics, but don't want to read Superman?
Chances are those people are (or were) already reading Superman.
Old February 10 2012, 04:56 AM   #3372
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Superboy #6: Well...I don't know what to think about this book. I think I might drop it after this issue. I did like the confrontation between Kara and Superboy...they've changed the meaning of Kon-El which means "clone" apparently or Abomination. Perhaps there are clone terms for each cloned Kryptonian. I do like that they tied it into the Clone Wars of Krypton's past (yes Krypton had a Clone Wars too). I don't like the fact that they changed the source of his name. The original Kon-El name was bestowed to him by Clark himself and something that Connor considered a great honour, and a sign of acceptance of him by Clark. Now his name literally means Abomination! Sigh. These little tweaks and changes are stuff I do not like about the New 52. I really don't get the purpose of this stuff. The art is fine and looks like next issue is the big show down between Conn---err Superboy and Rose. I don't think I'll be picking this up.

Batman and Robin #6: This book keeps on getting better which each other. Damian's ruse was rather obvious, but I thought handled pretty well. As critical as I was early on in this book, Tomasi is doing a good job of exploring the issues that Bruce and Damian have in a manner that I didn't really expect at first which was probably why I was critical. We see for really the first time that Damian cares for Bruce as his father, something we really haven't seen before, one could say he loves him It also shows just how far Damian has come as a character since we first met in "Batman and Son". The art isn't that great though. I suppose it works for this opening arc.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; February 10 2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old February 10 2012, 02:57 PM   #3373
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Demon Knights # 5: Honestly, if you can tell me why a comic that features a wise-cracking Vandal Savage and a medieval Amazon fighting armoured velociraptors with a giant spiky cudgel isn't a best-seller, I'll tell you why democracy simply doesn't work.

This issue is still funny at times, but the pathos has increased exponentially: we learn quite a bit more about the Horsewoman's abilities in the context of something deeply sad. I don't know that I've seen such a successful shift from fun/silly to tragic and brutal since the Despero issues of JLI, way back when. Cornell's Stormwatch was a series of great ideas that never entirely came together, but Demon Knights remains gold.

I also caught up with Frankenstein: #6 has an interesting mash-up of a seminal Watchmen moment and Heart of Darkness. I'm torn about the upcoming art change: the current style isn't my favorite, but it suits the title perfectly. We'll see.

Last edited by Derishton; February 10 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Derishton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 07:47 PM   #3374
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Covers revealed for the Earth 2 books.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-e...er-120210.html

I kind of like the Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman one. I thought the whole point of this other book was to showcase the Justice Society?

Old February 10 2012, 08:02 PM   #3375
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Well, they are members of the JSA.