RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,714
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 822
Newest member: Farside89

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 7 2012, 06:45 PM   #3331
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

So Superboy #6 tomorrow has a crossover with Supergirl who has still only just landed on Earth, been kidnapped by humans after a short fight with her cousin (who I can only assume has been looking for her since right? ) and now confronts her cousin's clone who is also looking for him. Huh. I get they're building up to a big Supes-Family book event between the three of them, but how they've handled Kara's arrival and story has just been strange to me. She's supposedly only been on Earth for a few hours (well aside from the time she warped into space) and barely had time to adjust to learning of her home's destruction or that she has a cousin, and now she confronts her cousin's clone. Way to plot New 52.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2012, 07:28 PM   #3332
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

^Maybe that's the point. That Supergirl has all this just dumped on her all at once. It is actually a neat direction to go with it. How the hell would someone deal with all that?
Old February 7 2012, 07:37 PM   #3333
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I'm not really complaining about the actual plot...perhaps that was the wrong word, it just seems off. Like I said...I get why they're doing this. It is indeed dumping things on a young person's shoulders and seeing how they're handle it. I think the writers have mentioned this in an interview. I just think the execution has been sloppy. Or maybe I'm actually feeling sorry for Kara and could care less about "Superboy"? LOL. I am enjoying the book some what. I like the new Kara.

Old February 7 2012, 07:49 PM   #3334
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Broccoli wrote:
^Maybe that's the point. That Supergirl has all this just dumped on her all at once. It is actually a neat direction to go with it. How the hell would someone deal with all that?
Kill billions of smug, undeserving humans with your superpowers.

Or, at least leave Earth for a more advanced, less crummy world (I like how this is, afaik, never put forward as an option in any iteration of Supergirl; it's Earth or nothing, even though she could go to Rann, or Thanagar, or Orando, or, heck, Colu--they sort of owe Kryptonians in general, right?). This is how Adam Warlock did it. It was awesome. Well, for the reader. He whined most of the time.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2012, 02:43 AM   #3335
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Some New 52's are getting annuals. I'll be getting the Batman one.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/new-...cs-120207.html

Also my pulls for tomorrow are

-Batman and Robin #6
-Superboy #6

Old February 8 2012, 03:05 AM   #3336
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Leroy wrote: View Post
I'm one who really enjoyed the GL books for the past few years but I've been disenfranchised by the reboot. I liked the dynamic they had going with just GL and GLC now it seems like they're spread thin with GL, GLC, New Guardians, and Red Lanterns.
I think, all things considered, the reboot GLC is stronger. While I loved what Tony Bedard did on R.E.B.E.L.S., his GLC was the weakest of the GL books pre-New 52.

And while I think "War of the Green Lanterns" was pretty-good, I thought the issues of the main Green Lantern book were their weakest between Blackest Night and "War of the Green Lanterns." I think the New 52 Green Lantern is a marked improvement over the "New Guardians" storyline that bridged BN and "WotGL."
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2012, 03:47 AM   #3337
Mr Light
Admiral

GL and GLC were definitely weaker after Blackest Night. BN was clearly the climax of the Geoff Johns epic, but then he kept going anyway

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2012, 04:09 AM   #3338
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Tomorrow: Batgirl. I'm dropping "Batman and Robin" completely.
Old February 8 2012, 05:03 AM   #3339
the G-man
Commodore

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote:
Kill billions of smug, undeserving humans with your superpowers.

Or, at least leave Earth for a more advanced, less crummy world (I like how this is, afaik, never put forward as an option in any iteration of Supergirl; it's Earth or nothing, even though she could go to Rann, or Thanagar, or Orando, or, ...
In JLU she left present day earth for the more advanced, less crummy earth of the 30th century and joined the LSH. Proving, once again, that the Dini-Timmverse is the ultimate DC.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2012, 05:10 AM   #3340
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Kara historically has been a Legion member and been romantically involved with Brainy. The Threeboot version had it's title changed to Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes and eventually ended that volume (not saying it was Kara's fault...just was no longer Waid's book at the time I believe).

Old February 8 2012, 08:22 AM   #3341
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

G-Man wrote:
In JLU she left present day earth for the more advanced, less crummy earth of the 30th century and joined the LSH. Proving, once again, that the Dini-Timmverse is the ultimate DC.
I know, it was great! Except for the part where she's all like "I'VE KNOWN YOU FOR AN HOUR BUT I LIKE YOU I'M GOING TO COME LIVE IN YOUR HOUSE." That's what we call "warning signs."

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Kara historically has been a Legion member and been romantically involved with Brainy. The Threeboot version had it's title changed to Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes and eventually ended that volume (not saying it was Kara's fault...just was no longer Waid's book at the time I believe).
Not exactly--the Supergirl and the LSH title did survive Waid (I think it was Bedard who was on it for a while), but they went back to the regular LSH title when Supergirl left, and Shooter finished out the volume.

Sort of. Technically, "Justin Thyme," i.e. editors, finished out the volume. And while I'm actually one of the five people on planet Earth that thought Shooter's run on the Threeboot was OK (it had its moments, like when Ultra Boy negged Saturn Girl to drop her bitch shield--seriously, this is basically what happened; and Chamelon Boy fucked a bird), the actual ending was the worst garbage comic this side of... well, Joe Kelley's Supergirl.

Also, in the Threeboot, Brainiac was boning Head Six, as played by Dream Girl's ghost.

Anyway, sure, Supergirl's been in the future a lot. But she never seems to go to the future and stay there. I think the best thing for Supergirl would have been to have her permanently attached to the Legion. Maybe they did this in the 80s? I haven't read those yet. I mean, I know she died, in the present, in 1986, so it couldn't have been too permanent.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2012, 08:40 AM   #3342
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

"Kingdom Come" did imply a version of Supergirl and Superboy stick with the Legion. She was a fixture in the Silver Age I believe with the team which is what I meant about her having a long history with the team. Prior to the relaunch there was an annual of Supergirl where she works with the Legion (I've forgotten how now) the Geoff Johns/Current version "Postboot"??? and hints of the romance with Brainy were made in that issue. Last Stand of New Krypton also dealt with the romance as Brainy couldn't tell her about their future relationship indicating that the Threeboot Kara's time with the Legion didn't happen. Legion history is somewhat complex thanks to all the reboots.

Also the Supergirl who died in 1986 (Crisis in Infinite Earths) was revealed to be Power Girl (Karen Starr) in (Infinite Crisis) that was the latest Geoff Johns retcon.

Old February 8 2012, 08:52 AM   #3343
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Also the Supergirl who died in 1986 (Crisis in Infinite Earths) was revealed to be Power Girl (Karen Starr) in (Infinite Crisis) that was the latest Geoff Johns retcon.
Whaaaa?

Power Girl never (retconned) died in COIF as Infinite Crisis had her very much alive and early issues had her "remembering" her Earth-Two existence.

You sure about that?
Old February 8 2012, 03:33 PM   #3344
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

^That's a new one on me as well.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2012, 05:13 PM   #3345
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

"Kingdom Come" did imply a version of Supergirl and Superboy stick with the Legion. She was a fixture in the Silver Age I believe with the team which is what I meant about her having a long history with the team. Prior to the relaunch there was an annual of Supergirl where she works with the Legion (I've forgotten how now) the Geoff Johns/Current version "Postboot"??? and hints of the romance with Brainy were made in that issue. Last Stand of New Krypton also dealt with the romance as Brainy couldn't tell her about their future relationship indicating that the Threeboot Kara's time with the Legion didn't happen. Legion history is somewhat complex thanks to all the reboots.

You are wrong. Nowhere did it imply in IC that Power Girl was Supergirl. I suggest you go back and read Infinite Crisis.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote