The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 28 2012, 07:11 PM   #3226
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Not to mention the last time we did see Marvel I believe it was Freddy.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2012, 02:06 AM   #3227
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
yes, i know DC can't use Captain Marvel on the cover of a book due to legal reasons, but hey, Power of Shazam! ran for 48 issues. doesn't seem like the name issue confused those readers.
Totally just a guess, but maybe it's more than just about the readers and is a decision made higher up, at least in terms of aligning all of the media properties together?
Movies, TV, games, it's probably easier in many respects to brand him as Shazam these days on all fronts and move that ball forward.
They're changing the logo, changing their books, updating EVERYTHING for all forms of medial, I'm sure there's a lot more going into all of these decisions that we're not being told, as is true with most businesses.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2012, 02:11 AM   #3228
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
yes, i know DC can't use Captain Marvel on the cover of a book due to legal reasons, but hey, Power of Shazam! ran for 48 issues. doesn't seem like the name issue confused those readers.
Maybe it's more than just about the readers, and is a decision made higher up, at least in terms of aligning all of the media properties together?
Movies, TV, games, it's probably easier in many respects to brand him as Shazam these days on all fronts and move that ball forward.
I imagine getting the property streamlined is precisely why. I shouldn't be surprised that is a point from Diane Nelson to complicate all the characters. In Wonder Woman, for instance, Donna Troy appears to be gone, Diana has a daddy Zeus, and Cassie has her powers through her armor, seemingly, but I haven't followed Titans to know what's up with her.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2012, 04:34 AM   #3229
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
^ I agree about "Batman" and I'm pumped for "Batman Incorporated'. Morrison's grand finale and the war against Talia is going to be epic!
Turns out that it is a 12-issue legal drama concerning the custody of Damian in which Batman Incorporated is restructured into a law firm. There will be no superheroics in the series.

I'd lol if that happened.
Law firms can't incorporate.

Whoosh, right?

Captain Craig wrote:
I dislike abandoning Captain Marvel within the comics. I fully get the "outside comics" people think of his as Shazam and using in that in mass commercial means but abandoning Captain Marvel within the pages disappoints me.
And it's utterly ridiculous that they'd roll over, given that--I've said this before--TimeWarner could sue Disney for about twenty different copyright violations, principally regarding Miracleman (or "Marvelman", bleh), but also Squadron Supreme. There's no good reason Marvel shouldn't do the gentlemanly thing and permit the use "Captain Marvel" on the covers--at least when one of their potentially most profitable properties (I mean Miracleman back in print is gonna be, I expect, Watchmen-level sustained profit) is an avowed, straight-up fucking knockoff of that same Captain Marvel. It's like DC has no lawyers. HEY, DC, GIVE ME A JOB! I CAN DRAW AND COLOR TOO!

Last edited by Myasishchev; January 29 2012 at 04:46 AM.
Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2012, 05:10 AM   #3230
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
^ I agree about "Batman" and I'm pumped for "Batman Incorporated'. Morrison's grand finale and the war against Talia is going to be epic!
Turns out that it is a 12-issue legal drama concerning the custody of Damian in which Batman Incorporated is restructured into a law firm. There will be no superheroics in the series.

I'd lol if that happened.
Law firms can't incorporate.

Whoosh, right?
Men also can't swing from building to building on a thin piece of string, yet Batman and his cronies do it all the time.

Comics!
Old January 29 2012, 05:16 AM   #3231
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Ever wonder just what the line is attached to in some of those shots? A passing 747?
Old January 29 2012, 11:53 PM   #3232
nvek86
Commander

Nah, that's what all the airships are for you can see e.g. in the opening of the 90s animated series.
Old January 30 2012, 01:53 AM   #3233
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I remember thinking something similar when playing "Spider-Man" on X-Box after the first movie came out. There's points in the game when you are web-swinging through the city but the web extends up to the top of the screen apparently not attached to anything and even in places where all of the buildings are BELOW you!
Old January 30 2012, 02:21 AM   #3234
JD
Admiral

Yeah, I remember when one of the others came out they were talking about how the webs actually attached to the buildings. I think it was either the Spidey 2 game, or Ultimate Spider-Man.
Old January 30 2012, 03:54 AM   #3235
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Got to

Justice League Dark #5 - Right off the first page the issue had me with hints to stories I'll never see in Animal Man, Frank AoS and Resurrection man(books I also get) as it relates to the chaos surrounding Enchantress/June Moon and the chaos going on. A good issue and the Enchantress/Shade lip lock was more amusing than sexy, I assume that was the intention, but was fun. Seeing Boston jump into Constantine then jump back out quickly was a good case of "look before you leap". Xanadu made the case for them sticking together to thwart a growing threat she sees in the cards. This escapade drew them together and as the last panel showed she has seen the next threat. So will Constantine be back? He clearly left the hodge podge gathering all soddy.

and

I, Vampire #5 - first issue I'd call GREAT! Issue 3 began to lose me but has rebounded nicely. A good portrayal of Batman never hurts. For some reason he didn't yank his cowl off to win anyones trust. Odd really. Looking forward to seeing the confrontation with Mary next month.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 10:31 AM   #3236
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Rich's articles can be difficult to read at times he likes to be have attitude and be goofy and what not in them, but if I read this correctly George Perez had he continued on "Superman" he would have had New 52 Clark deal with the loss of Lana Lang.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/...ng-that-wasnt/

We've not seen Lana yet in the New 52 as the article states.

Old January 30 2012, 03:39 PM   #3237
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

George Perez's departure was hardly a great loss to the Superman franchise.
Old January 30 2012, 03:46 PM   #3238
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Rich's articles can be difficult to read at times he likes to be have attitude and be goofy and what not in them, but if I read this correctly George Perez had he continued on "Superman" he would have had New 52 Clark deal with the loss of Lana Lang.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/...ng-that-wasnt/

We've not seen Lana yet in the New 52 as the article states.
I wonder if that was a Perez-only story idea, or a DC editorial story idea. If it came from the higher ups and that story line will play out elsewhere, that is quite the spoiler/hint of what's to come. Then again, she's found herself dead before.
Old January 30 2012, 08:04 PM   #3239
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Lana was killed off in the regular DCU a couple of years ago. After becoming the Insectoid Queen I believe after losing the trust of Kara whom she was mentoring at the time.

Old January 30 2012, 08:16 PM   #3240
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I, Vampire and Justice League Dark were both good; I think the former was weakened by the Batman appearance, which seemed rushed somehow. Lots of great moments in JLD, including one the month's two Xanadu revelations (the other is in Demon Knights, of course). Speaking of ...

Aw yeah Demon Knights ... awesome. Savage, in turns out, is exactly the amoral dick you thought he was. For a whacky funny book, a lot of people ... including kids ... seem to die in it. The connections with Stormwatch are more apparent all the time.