RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,409
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 510
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 14 2012, 05:44 AM   #3076
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Those hoping for Justice League #5 on Wed...are gonna have to wait. I was wondering if this book would be late. We're not even done the first arc yet!!

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...of-dcs-new-52/
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Nah they're just Leee'd. Does that even make sense? WHAT? I just read the updates to the article. The issue is coming out Jan 25.

Guests artists on issues 7-8 so Jim Lee can catch up.
Old January 14 2012, 06:00 AM   #3077
Mike Farley
Commodore

I think those fill-ins were always scheduled.

DC gettin' Image-ified. After losing his gig on HAWK AND DOVE, Rob Liefeld is picking up THREE titles. He's taking over plotting of HAWKMAN and GRIFTER along with taking up the writing and art duties for DEATHSTROKE.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 06:06 AM   #3078
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yeah Liefeild seems to be enjoying a career revival of sorts thanks to the New 52. Not really a good thing IMO.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 07:05 AM   #3079
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Liefeld isn't that bad when it comes to telling a story. He typically has some interesting ideas.

His art, on the other hand....
Old January 14 2012, 06:24 PM   #3080
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Wrapped up my books for the week with:

Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E.- This was part 2 of the OMAC crossover, of which I didn't read pt.1, and it felt like a good enough stand alone issue. The one thing I guess I learned is that the OMAC character is again a symbiotic relationship. Human 'host' who becomes OMAC with the shout of a phrase OMACTIVATE! So there are three beings who do this now Captain Marvel, the Firestorms and now OMAC.
I'm curious about the threads they left at the end with the discussion between Frank and Dr.Mazursky about her possibly finding out WHO the parts of Frank are that he's stitched from.

Resurrection Man - This issue seems to be an origin that contains a flashback showing how Mitch and the Body Doubles are interconnected. Next issue will pick up in the present and I guess explain the how/where of Mitch showing up elsewhere, away from his nearly atomized remains from issue 4's ending. He is in Arkham. Who from Gotham may/may not appear?
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 06:49 PM   #3081
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Interesting that seems to be a contradiction from Morrison's Frankenstein who could take parts from any human and meld them into his body.
Old January 15 2012, 05:10 AM   #3082
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I'll have to double check but I think the Huntress mini has her mentioned as Bertinelli. She is in Naples, Italy to check on her family's holdings. Ergo, she can't be Wayne.

That interview is full of retcon sounding speak already. "That Bertinelli is in there as a tease." This has facepalm written all over it.
Out of boredom, I reread all four issues of Huntress this evening. (Thanks to Marcus To it's a pretty book, but it reads fast and I was done in about fifteen minutes.) Oh, it's a total retcon that the Huntress of the mini-series is in reality Helena Wayne; you can actually tell the point where Levitz decided he could (or was given permission to) do this.

On page three of issue #1, her passport reads "Helena Bertinelli." I don't think Helena's in Italy to check on family holdings, though; her plan in the first issue seems to be to stop some gun runners who are smuggling guns into Gotham, and she gets some local help with reporters thanks to a friend "at the Daily Planet." (It was that last one that makes me think that this was initially a mini-series planned pre-Flashpoint that didn't get published until post-Flashpoint.) The passport is pretty clear, the gun smuggling shows she has links to Gotham City (and that it's a Gotham City that matters to her, not from her perspective an alternate universe Gotham City), and that she has links to the wider DCnU since she has friends at the Planet.

There are also visual touches that indicate Bertinelli, not Wayne, in particular the crucifix that she wears. (Helena Bertinelli has been portrayed as a devout Catholic. Helena Wayne, not so much.) Even the costume she wears is Bertinelli, not Wayne -- again, the prominent cross on the chest.

It's not until issue #3 that we start seeing cats. The "cat person" line is in issue #3, and there's a random shot of Helena and a cat in issue #4. There's also a line in issue #4 that Helena's story is complicated. So I think it was after Levitz wrote issue #2 that he (or DC) decided on the Helena Wayne twist. If so, I suspect that that was supposed to be revealed in issue #6 as a surprise, probably on the last page, but DC's announcement of World's Finest spoiled that ending.

The only thing that really screams Helena Wayne in Huntress is the Huntress' attitude and professionalism. Helena Bertinelli has usually been characterized as driven but a little sloppy and a little hot-headed. The Helena of Huntress is a lot sharper, she knows the situation she's going into before she does anything. Levitz actually writes her a bit like the Robert Downey, Jr. Sherlock Holmes; Helena does a lot of tactical analysis in her fights.

So I agree that it's a retcon that it's Helena Wayne in Huntress. Four issues in, the evidence for that is totally random. It makes far more sense in the story for Helena to be the Helena Bertinelli Huntress we've known since post-Crisis.

All of that said...

I'm intrigued by World's Finest, though the idea of Levitz writing something Sex in the City-esque doesn't exactly thrill me. I'll buy it for the art, the characters, and the title.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 05:28 AM   #3083
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
Thank you, since I only had read the first 2 issues your analysis of the where the likely change occurred makes sense. Especially put into perspective of that article posted upthread.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 10:30 AM   #3084
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Am I misreading this or isn't this simply a rehash of a story we had only a couple of years ago - when there was a lost power-girl, a trip to Earth-2?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 10:34 AM   #3085
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

There was JSA #20, where she ends up in a fight with her counterpart on E2. http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/3165870.html
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 11:22 AM   #3086
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I remember that...it was pretty bad.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 02:56 PM   #3087
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Come on Allyn you never heard of a fake passport? Obviously the name Wayne would be noticed and probably carries with it some papparazzi like fame so traveling with it would be a bad idea. The name Bertinelli means nothing allowing her to travel where and when she wishes.
A friend at the Daily Planet could be anyone as well, only you make the assumption that its a big name we should all know.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 05:14 PM   #3088
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Icemizer wrote: View Post
Come on Allyn you never heard of a fake passport? Obviously the name Wayne would be noticed and probably carries with it some papparazzi like fame so traveling with it would be a bad idea. The name Bertinelli means nothing allowing her to travel where and when she wishes.
A friend at the Daily Planet could be anyone as well, only you make the assumption that its a big name we should all know.
Yep and she's ( supposedly) shown burning the Bertinelli passport in the first issue of Worlds' Finest and picking out a new one from her "collection".
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 06:53 PM   #3089
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

What she is getting at is that it was not the original intention of the writer (Levitz) for her to be the original Huntress until midway through the series.
Old January 15 2012, 07:00 PM   #3090
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
What she is getting at is that it was not the original intention of the writier (Levitz) for her to be the original Huntress until midway through the series.
Weren't they dropping hints that it was connected to Earth 2 before the first issue came out? Now given production schedules it possible that the first issue was ready before they switched gears and the interviews reflect the change. Though the character we see in this series doesn't sound like the OlDCU Huntress, even if she looks like her.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote