Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 10 2012, 02:57 AM   #2986
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Snyder showed that he really understood the potential of the back-ups with his (albeit short) run of back-ups on Detective. While I understand the purpose of some of the other back-ups was to highlight "fan-favorite" characters who couldn't support a title of their own, Snyder's back-ups focused on Commissioner Gordon and were designed to tell a parallel story with his main feature in Detective. He had always intended the storyline in the back-up to continue through the main feature and even though the back-up got axed, he was still able to weave it through the stories he was telling with Dick Grayson. It read as more of a bonus story than a separate, shorter comic, as some of the other back-ups did (I'm not knocking them, I quite enjoyed some of them, but I did appreciate Snyder's approach).
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2012, 03:35 AM   #2987
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Pretty sure it's line wide.
According to DC's The Source, the crossover will just be within the Bat-books.
Old January 10 2012, 08:46 PM   #2988
JD
Admiral

IGN has some more specifics on The Night of The Owls crossover.
Old January 10 2012, 08:48 PM   #2989
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

i haven't caught much of the DCnU... i tried Green Lantern again for several issues, but it's still a Geoff Johns fanwank book... gave up on that pretty quickly...

JLDark is kicking ass at the moment, as is Batgirl and Animal Man surprisingly...

not sure wtf is going on in Superboy, but it's kept my interest surprisingly again lol

Superman and Action Comics are just funny... weird seeing everything new and different, but i kinda like it

M
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 12:09 AM   #2990
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Well this is very interesting indeed. It looks like we are getting a Superman family crossover as well. If this is the New 52's 2012 "events" then I'm all for self-contained events rather than a large company wide crossover. Build up your new continuity first then if you really need to set up that first big event. I really hope this is the case.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/...boy-crossover/

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread regarding New 52 Superboy, yeah it does seem like they are going the route the "Young Justice" television series is going with his origin. I very much doubt that this Superboy will be named Kon-El or Connor Kent and be embraced by Clark. We still don't know what the investigation that Lois has been working on yet, just that she's been investigating Project NoWhere for a while it would seem. We also don't know I think how the project got a hold of Clark's DNA or who the human donor is...although most fans suspect it is Lex like in the comics. I think the opening arc of Superboy concludes with tomorrow's issue.

Also the article mentions that Action Comics will continue in the past longer than previous thought. I was under the impression that the entire first year of the book would be "year one" then we would advanced forward. Then it was just the opening arc of the book...but now it appears it will remain for a few more issues.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 01:45 AM   #2991
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The pulls for tomorrow:

Batgirl #5
Batman and Robin #5
Old January 11 2012, 04:01 AM   #2992
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I'll be getting:

-Batman and Robin #5
-Batgirl #5 (the cliffhanger ending of 4 interests me to continue on with this)
-Batwoman #5
-Superboy#5

That's it from DC.

Gail Simone talks about Babs regaining her legs through the "miracle cure".

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/gail...ns-120111.html

So does this mean there is no connection to the folder that Bruce gave her in Batman The Return or whatever it was called. I don't understand why Simone just can't say that she went through some experimental Batman, Inc nanotech procedure funded by the Wayne Foundation. Unless that is what Simone does intend with the "South African clinics" reference.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; January 11 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old January 11 2012, 08:07 PM   #2993
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

It's really sad that both Swierczynski on BoP and Higgins on Nightwing wrote Batgirl better than Simone on the character's own ongoing.
Old January 11 2012, 08:16 PM   #2994
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yeah I get what she's doing with the book and reintroducing the character...but I expected more honestly based on her excellent work on BOP and Secret Six. The whole arc has felt off. Issue four was probably the best one IMO.

Old January 11 2012, 08:50 PM   #2995
JD
Admiral

Sorry, but I have a little slightly off topic thing here.
I've just recently been discovered the character of John Constantine, who in the comics is a blond British guy, but I remember a few years ago a movie came out with the character played by Keanu Reeves. WTF was up with that?
Old January 11 2012, 08:55 PM   #2996
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

^ Likely an attempt of overcompensating to "mainstream" the character and to have a star in the title role.
Old January 11 2012, 09:16 PM   #2997
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Yep.

Batgirl #5: We get another example of why this compressed five year time line is simply silly...as mentioned most likely prior in the thread it has been three years since the Killing Joke. LOL. So that means Babs in the New 52 has been Oracle for at least two of those three years...one can assume. If she was Oracle at all. She has a conversation with her mother that is to be expected. Also Simone introduces Occupy Gotham right when Bruce has launched some kind of restoration project. Someone tries to kill Bruce and repeats the number 338. I'm officially dropping this book. One of the most disappointing books of the New 52 for me.

Superboy #5: This is starting to lose me as the mystery behind everything is starting to be milked a bit. This is feeling more and more like a Wildstorm book than a DC book. I'm on the verge of dropping it.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; January 12 2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old January 12 2012, 12:30 AM   #2998
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Eh, I liked the Constantine movie ok. Keanu Reeves gets an unbelievable amount of shit for less than stellar reasons. Not that it was really a particularly good movie, or as good as Hellblazer. But no one blames Hugh Jackman for X-Men 3.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 02:21 AM   #2999
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I like Keanu Reeves. Sure, he isn't the world's best actor, but he's a lot of fun to watch.
Old January 12 2012, 02:47 AM   #3000
JD
Admiral

Oh, I have no problem with Keanu Reeves, he just seems like a weird choice for John Constantine is all.