Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 3 2012, 10:52 PM   #2911
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Mike Marts on the Bat Family in 2012...rather interesting that Morrison gets a couple of sentences mention. Perhaps the torch has already been passed? Batman, Inc was established as taking place prior to the relaunch and it would seem that the conclusion or "season two" will take place before, which obviously makes since given the status quo. Perhaps Bruce dissolves Batman, Inc at the end of Morrison's run? Thoughts?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=36217
except Batman and Robin implies that Batman Inc is still active.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2012, 10:54 PM   #2912
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I Grok Spock wrote: View Post
I did notice that a Barnes and Noble near me is stocking more comics than I recall seeing there before. Maybe 40 or so titles across DC, Marvel, and Dark Horse.

Oh, and Archie!
I may have to check this out. Since I've been away from the comic scene for the past twenty years or so, I feel intimidated going in to a comic book shop.
The guy that works there is decent enough, but he wants to talk about stuff that I have no knowledge or interest in, and I feel weird buying my little Justice League and Aquaman comics.
Old January 4 2012, 02:29 AM   #2913
JD
Admiral

From the solicits it sounds like some of them are tying up their first arcs. So I was wondering which ones are done or will be in the next couple months?
Old January 4 2012, 02:30 AM   #2914
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Mike Marts on the Bat Family in 2012...rather interesting that Morrison gets a couple of sentences mention. Perhaps the torch has already been passed? Batman, Inc was established as taking place prior to the relaunch and it would seem that the conclusion or "season two" will take place before, which obviously makes since given the status quo. Perhaps Bruce dissolves Batman, Inc at the end of Morrison's run? Thoughts?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=36217
except Batman and Robin implies that Batman Inc is still active.
I guess you could argue that Batman and Robin could take place after Batman, Inc. is dissolved. The only thing the story implies (as of issue #3, somehow I missed out on issue #4) is that there was a Batman, Inc.

What about Batwing? Batman, Inc.: Leviathan Strikes! seems to imply he died. Are they just saying that he didn't in the nuDCU or are they suggesting he didn't really die?
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2012, 02:59 AM   #2915
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

This is why I'm not sure if Batman, Inc continues. I haven't really seen it mentioned...but perhaps I've not been paying attention as closely as I normally do. I know that we've seen technology that Lucious has developed through Batman, Inc such as the high tech cloak/morph cowl whatever it was.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2012, 04:06 AM   #2916
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Tomorrow:

Action Comics #5
Detective Comics #5

Huh, I thought I had more week-1 pulls than that. I may take a look for something interesting in the long boxes.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2012, 04:19 AM   #2917
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Action Comics #5 and Stormwatch #5 for me.

Old January 4 2012, 04:45 AM   #2918
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Admiral Young wrote:
Cassandra Cain is more in the mold of what you're referring to as a creature of the night. Silent and deadly.
Yeah, right. For about four issues. Blargh.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I also hate the notion that comic shops (businesses that employ people) are no longer needed. If comic shops went out of business then tens or hundreds of people in cities would be unemployed.
Oh. Oh no. Stop. Not the comic shop owners.

Nah, in seriousness, I sort of feel the same way, but simply can't muster the enthusiasm to feel much sympathy. Or even much solidarity.

Twenty years and half the West is going to be technologically unemployed, or reduced to menial jobs that soft self-replicating machines are cheaper to employ in than dedicated robots. Tens or hundreds simply can't move me. At least it's true technological unemployment, and not just offshoring.

Speaking of menial labor, I think I'm going to catch up on my books tomorrow. Or maybe tonight. See how the Internets is better than some shelf that may or may not have the old issues I need, in a locked, darkened building half a mile away?

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2012, 08:56 AM   #2919
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Normally I wouldn't post a Marvel topic in here but since this directly is connected to the New 52 and sales...not sure of these figures given the source but if true...Marvel is slowly clawing their way back to the top. As I've predicted before I believe it will be a matter of months before they are back on top again.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/f...er-2011-a.html

Old January 4 2012, 01:27 PM   #2920
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Well Admiral there are many more Marvel Zombies out there than DC readers so Marvel returning to the top slot was really never in question. I work with one of these zombies and try as I might he just wont read a single DC book. I feel sorry for the poor guy missing out on a whole other universe to read. Aquaman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing and several other titles have been very good since the relaunch. Sad really.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2012, 04:03 PM   #2921
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

At one point in 2011, DC Comics was lagging Marvel’s marketshare by 18 points. Then the DC Relaunch was announced. And even in the months before September, DC’s share was rising. They took both dollar and product marketshare in their relaunch month, and in October, buoyed by second prints, went on to grab over half.

Yesterday, Bleeding Cool revealed that Marvel had managed to grab back market dominance in December, but it was too late according to The Hollywood Reporter for the year as a whole, in which DC dominated.

The website reports that Justice League #1 took first place with five prints and a total sale amount of 361,138 copies.

That Batman #1 came second with two printings combining to sell 262,379 copies.

And that Action Comics #1 sold 250,898 copies, through three printings.
Link
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2012, 05:22 PM   #2922
C_Miller
Captain

Normally I wouldn't post a Marvel topic in here but since this directly is connected to the New 52 and sales...not sure of these figures given the source but if true...Marvel is slowly clawing their way back to the top. As I've predicted before I believe it will be a matter of months before they are back on top again.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/f...er-2011-a.html
Marvel puts out more comics, by quite a bit. Most of their comics are 3.99 with a few at 2.99, unlike DC which is the other way around. They also double ship several of their big titles, something that DC doesn't currently do at all.

The fact that DC was able to dominate for 3 months is amazing and should be seen as a victory.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2012, 06:13 PM   #2923
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Temporary victory at best.

Old January 4 2012, 06:46 PM   #2924
C_Miller
Captain

Temporary victory at best.
Not really. I mean, if DC really wants to make more money than Marvel, they should double ship books like Justice League, Batman, Action Comics, Green Lantern, Superman, and Detective Comics and increase the number of books they release as well as making all of the books 3.99, the success of the reboot probably could have lasted through 2012.

The fact that the numbers are still extremely close with Marvel's business model still being Marvel's business model is still a win in my book.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2012, 07:10 PM   #2925
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Haven't they released like multiple printings of their more successful books? I'm not saying that the relaunch wasn't a success, to a degree it was. I just think like all new things, the allure of it being something "new" and "kewl" is going to wear off once stories get boring and people start dropping more and more books. They wanted to make a huge splash and did so. As I've said before they're going to have to do something else to keep this market share dominate or else Marvel is going to climb over them.