Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 22 2011, 05:22 AM   #2746
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
Wasn't it actually a Chinese guy pretending to be Magneto pretending to be a Chinese guy?
Robert Downey jr.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2011, 05:28 AM   #2747
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
Mike Farley wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
Actually, Byrne insisted on clearing the decks. Making Kal el the sole survivor of Krypton was something he demanded as a condition of taking over the book. It wasn't something DC asked him to do.
Other way around. Byrne offered to come on and do his book in current continuity (much like on FF when he focused on the thing that made them cool and just stopped referring to the not s great stuff.). DC wanted a ground zero relaunch. So JB went away, thought about it and came back with a list of "unreasonable demands" regarding the direction of the character--expecting DC to shoot down most of them. Surprsingly DC agreed to all but one--pregnant Lara arriving on Earth in the rocket and dieing of Kryptonite poisoning after giving birth.
Granted its 25 years ago now but I'm going on what Byrne told me at the time.
He has a web site. Questions about SUPERMAN (including MAN OF STEEL/ACTION COMICS)
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old December 22 2011, 05:36 AM   #2748
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
So have they moved the Leviathan story into the New 52 then, or is it still in the pre-Flashpoint universe?
I don't know, and after reading Leviathan Strikes! I'm not sure if I really care if it's in the DCnU. I'll take it on its own terms.

In a way, I'm glad that it wasn't published in the individual issues when they were supposed to; the Batgirl chapter (would have been Batman, Inc. #9) would have been a little problematical in Batgirl's continuity between issues #22 and #23. (Stephanie told her mom that she was going to London for a few days, but her adventure at the boarding school lasts over a month. Not only that, but she couldn't just disappear from Gotham U for over a month. People would ask questions, she'd fail her classes.)

If Leviathan Strikes does take place in the DCnU, then I'm tentatively putting it after Batgirl #24. The missing link between Batgirl #22 and #23 is Batman arranging for Steph's enrollment at the school, and then after #24 (and the semester) Steph goes back to London to complete her assignment. In this case, we may well have two Batgirls in the DCnU; Barbara resumed the role since 1) she could walk again and 2) Steph was out of Gotham.

Still, the best line? "Outstanding work, Batgirl." As a long-time Steph fan, that means a lot for Bruce to say that to Steph.
So, Steph is still Batgirl in LS? I could have sworn I saw a preview that had her in her Spoiler outfit.

I wonder if the upcoming maxiseries will work in the slight changes to the Batman mythos (such as Dick becoming Nightwing again, Steph leaving Batgirl, etc). Not that it has to, mind you, but Morrison does love working in his continuity and making it all fit.
Old December 22 2011, 05:37 AM   #2749
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

So, how come Guy Gardner doesn't know Martian Manhunter? I haven't been reading Stormwatch. Did J'onn erase everyone's memory of him, or something?
Old December 22 2011, 06:17 AM   #2750
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

New continuity. J'Onn and Guy may never have met.
Old December 22 2011, 06:41 AM   #2751
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

So I picked up Catwoman #4 under the impression that due to the solitics it had something to do with Selina visiting Wayne Manor but I didn't see this at all in the issue. It dealt with the loss of Selina's friend Lola and encountering a new villain named Reach. Probably shouldn't have picked this up because I see nothing has changed with the writing. The art was okay though.

Supergirl #4: I'm really enjoying this version of Kara and I didn't think I would. This Mr. Tycho person is not a nice man at all. He kind of reminds me of Lex. No wonder the previews for Supergirl stated that Kara wouldn't look at the human race as being friendly. Attacked, kidnapped, and tortured as soon as she arrives on Earth. The writers are doing their damndest to not include Clark in this very much. I find it difficult to believe that after encountering the person who is his cousin he wouldn't search the planet for her. I guess he might have attempted it. The artwork is nice as well.

Justice League #4: Oh dear. Out of all the New 52 I was most looking forward to Grant Morrison's Action Comics and Geoff Johns's Justice League, and I have to say the latter is the most disappointing. I have to repeat that I do not like this book at all. As someone or a couple of people have mentioned earlier in the thread these characters that we have all come to love and admire seem to be written as mere caricatures. Hal Jordan is a moronic ass hole I'm sorry to say. Barry seems to want to get along and please everyone. Bruce is Bruce. Clark is still coming into his own at this point. I do like Diana who seems to be naive and enthusiastic and obviously embraced her warrior attitude. Arthur is cool. I actually really loved all the Aquaman scenes. He seems the obvious choice for early chairmen. I find it silly that shortly after Vic's armour is fused and comes online he bails from Star Labs and continently joins the fight the League is involved in. These four issues feel like four wrapped into two. Darkseid's reveal was anti-climatic and cliched to me. I think I'm finally going to drop the book and wait for it to catch up to the present to see if there are any changes. The BEST thing about this book is Jim Lee's art

Wonder Woman #4: This book continues to be absolutely fascinating. The gritty stylistic artwork combined with Azzerello's incorporation of the Greek Gods into Diana's life and the unfolding mystery regarding Zeus is just awesome. It feels like the best episodes of Hercules the Legendary Journey or Xena Warrior Princess only better. I haven't enjoyed Wonder Woman this much in years.

Batman #4: I've said it before and I'll say it again...Scott Synder is your heir apparent to Grant Morrison when the latter decides to leave in a couple years. This man can write Batman and he can do it very well. The continued look into the Wayne family history and Bruce's past is fascinating. Greg Capullo's sharp and crisp artwork is beautiful. He is definitely among my favourite artists in the New 52 so far. The Court of Owls mystery is somewhat interesting. It is interesting that Bruce is dealing with so many people from his past right now.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; December 22 2011 at 09:46 AM.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2011, 09:11 AM   #2752
C_Miller
Captain

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post

Justice League #4: Oh dear. Out of all the New 52 I was most looking forward to Grant Morrison's Action Comics and Geoff Johns's Justice League, and I have to say the latter is the most disappointing. I have to repeat that I do not like this book at all. As someone or a couple of people have mentioned earlier in the thread these characters that we have all come to love and admire seem to be written as mere caricatures. Hal Jordan is a moronic ass hole I'm sorry to say. Barry seems to want to get along and please everyone. Bruce is Bruce. Clark is still coming into his own at this point. I do like Diana who seems to be naive and enthusiastic and obviously embraced her warrior attitude. Arthur is cool. I actually really loved all the Aquaman scenes. He seems the obvious choice for early chairmen. I find it silly that shortly after Vic's armour is fused and comes online he bails from Star Labs and continently joins the fight the League is involved in. These four issues feel like four wrapped into two. Darkseid's reveal was anti-climatic and cliched to me. I think I'm finally going to drop the book and wait for it to catch up to the present to see if there are any changes. The BEST thing about this book is Jim Lee's art.
Definitely agree. I'm pretty sure I was the previous poster you mentioned. I decided to give it a look see in the shop today and with in about a minute and a half, I had the whole thing read. Unfortunately, that was the least of its problems. Overall, it just feels thin. Thin on story content, thin on character content. It does get action down pretty well in the way that Transformers did. But I hated Transformers. Oh well, I'm just going to go with the thought that it's well-written for what it is and what it is isn't my cup of tea.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2011, 09:22 AM   #2753
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ It was you now that I think about it. People have complained that these feel like they're being written for trade...and right now I can honestly say that I don't even think they would read any better collected. I'm probably going to pass on getting the hardcover when it comes out. Johns is capable of more depth as a writer. I really do not know what he is doing with Hal. He's written a better Hal Jordan before...even if he is conforming to the movie version, Ryan Reynolds wasn't this much of an idiot. I get the basic idea that these people are meeting each other and coming together for the first time. Instead of a natural story it feels like they're being forced together for the sake of having the Justice League team up. Darkseid's pronouncement was lame. I would rather have the Morrison style "Darkseid Is." line it's much more menacing. I did like the references to Professor Ivo, and i think Ryan Choi were mentioned as well. Vic's armour redesign is ugly and clunky as well.

Regarding Batman, Incorporated Leviathian Strikes...the mystery is over. @Allyn I'm surprised you missed the little clarifier at the bottom of page five. It says the issue takes place before Flashpoint and the New 52.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; December 22 2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old December 22 2011, 09:55 AM   #2754
C_Miller
Captain

I would agree, Johns is capable of more depth, but has he shown it lately? I mean, there were some great moments in his early Flash run, Green Lantern Rebirth, JSA, early in his Teen Titans run. But I haven't seen early Geoff Johns in a while where he could balance big blockbuster action with quiet character moments. I hate to say this about any professional writer, especially one that I respect as much as Johns but his writing lately seems very amateurish. And you're right. The decompression is the least of this title's problems.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2011, 10:13 AM   #2755
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Re: Batman Incorporated Leviathan Strikes...RAO!!! Did I ever mark out big time for the huge reveal! I was partially right...was distracted by the obvious misdirection tactics. Damn. I can not wait for "season two" of Batman, Inc.

Old December 22 2011, 02:36 PM   #2756
Mr Light
Admiral

Maybe I forgot something but at what point did they conclude that Jezebel Jet was Leviathan? They talked about it like it was old news.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2011, 03:26 PM   #2757
scnj
Captain

The idea was introduced in issue 8 of Batman Inc.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2011, 05:56 PM   #2758
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Not Jet. Jet was a distraction...Leviathan is Talia.

Old December 22 2011, 06:01 PM   #2759
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Just read Wonder Woman #3 digitally. Art is nice, though sketchier than usual, but nothing much happened.
Old December 22 2011, 06:07 PM   #2760
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Not Jet. Jet was a distraction...Leviathan is Talia.
And it makes sense why Bruce and Damian are working together now -- it's because it's the only way Bruce can be sure of protecting Damian with that half a billion dollar bounty Talia placed on his head.

And yes, I did see the note on page five about the placement. I missed it the first time I read the issue.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote