New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 12 2011, 04:24 AM   #2641
O'Dib
Commodore

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

So, is it possible that the success of the DC reboot has boosted interest in comics in general, which is why Marvel has started doing better as well?
Old December 12 2011, 05:26 AM   #2642
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

O'Dib wrote: View Post
So, is it possible that the success of the DC reboot has boosted interest in comics in general, which is why Marvel has started doing better as well?
I think it's very likely. There isn't any actual proof, but based from the online anecdotal evidence it's certainly a shot in the arm and certainly has helped comics more than Marvels weak sauce stuff like the Obama Comic or the Death of Captain America/Johnny Storm.
Old December 12 2011, 06:24 AM   #2643
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Captain America should've went down like Captain Marvel. Cancer moves units.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 06:37 AM   #2644
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

@Dennis I'm guessing that would depend on what DC would consider being a considerable dip. IIRC they dominated the top ten after the first month. We'll see where they are after next month.

@O'dib that is another reason for the relaunch...to instigate an increase in comics in general which I guess would say has happened and to push Marvel (indirectly) to be better which seems to be the case with those numbers I posted in the link.

I haven't been this excited about comics in general and for stuff both companies are doing in a very long time. I'm really not trying to knock the relaunch, I guess my intent is to generate the type of discussion and debate we're having. I don't mean to be terse or anything like that.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 01:31 PM   #2645
Mr Light
Admiral

Just out of curiosity, which New 52 titles are you enjoying MORE than before the relaunch?

I would only say Action Comics, Superman, Aquaman (hard to count that since he didn't have a title before), and Justice League.

I might also say, look back to the comics about six months before the relaunch, back when there were real stories going on, before we got all those forgettable fill-in issues to unfortunately complete the final issues of the old continuity.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 03:04 PM   #2646
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I wasn't reading anything monthly beforehand, but was trade-waiting some of it. Batman and Robin isn't as good, I think. JLI is light-years worse than Generation Lost. All-Star Western will have to stand the test of time: much of what I like about it might be the gimmick of Gotham, whereas the best of the Jonah Hex run will still read well in ten years. Justice League Dark and Demon Knights are both great, but so different from Madame Xanadu that you can't even compare them. If Suicide Squad or Red Hood and the Outlaws was meant to replace Secret Six, it's an unfair trade (even though I like RHO). Nothing has replaced Birds of Prey adequately.

Justice League is odd, because I think we can't really judge the last two or three JLA runs the same way we can judge this one: Geoff Johns getting to write what he wants is very different from several writers forced to write either what Geoff Johns wants or to write around whatever Geoff Johns is doing. I think the last "heirs apparent" JLA might have been fantastic, given time and space to breathe.
Old December 12 2011, 04:19 PM   #2647
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Just out of curiosity, which New 52 titles are you enjoying MORE than before the relaunch?

I would only say Action Comics, Superman, Aquaman (hard to count that since he didn't have a title before), and Justice League.

I might also say, look back to the comics about six months before the relaunch, back when there were real stories going on, before we got all those forgettable fill-in issues to unfortunately complete the final issues of the old continuity.
I was only buying Green Lantern with any regularity before the relaunch, though I was reading Superman off and on. So I'm definitely enjoying Justice League, Superboy and Supergirl a lot more than I was.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 04:53 PM   #2648
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post

Flash, dah-nah.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 10:42 PM   #2649
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Superman and Batman March Solitics.

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multime....php?aid=45114

To answer Mr. Light's question I was enjoying most of the Bat Family books. It would have been interesting to see a second year from Scott Synder on Detective and what Paul Cornell would have done with Superman in Action Comics, his Luthor arc was simply amazing. Despite all the criticism around "Grounded" Chris Roberson actually managed to salvage a decent second arc and it would have been interesting to see beyond that since the kind of did a Superman, Inc type story as Allyn Gibson indicated when the issue came out in the summer time. I assume that Superman would have reunited with Lois and returned to Meteropolis. Most likely would have been some kind of arc where Lex returns. James Robinson's Justice League wasn't for everyone but I liked the team roster he put together and the last issue hinted at some fun stuff. Same with Bryan Q. Miller's Batgirl which was on of my favourite books. I guess I miss certain elements more than I do the actual DCU.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; December 12 2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old December 12 2011, 11:00 PM   #2650
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Well, I took a look at the nuDC. Got the first 3-4 issues of the comics I was interested in. Canceled them all this week. I expect a lot of former readers to do the same. Check things out for a few issues, then go away again. Sales will start dropping.
Old December 13 2011, 12:51 AM   #2651
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I guess I miss certain elements more than I do the actual DCU.
That's how I feel. I was deeply relieved that Damian stuck around, but I still don't see why a Secret Six title doesn't fit into the Edge perfectly. But the good, I think, outweighs what was lost. And with Roy Harper, at least, it reaalllllly outweighs the crap.
Old December 13 2011, 03:41 AM   #2652
the G-man
Commodore

I see that Dan Jurgens is coming back to Superman. Tell me again how this is a bold new direction for the character, Dennis.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2011, 04:19 AM   #2653
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Dennis will probably say that it's a step in the right direction after the drivel Perez has given us so far. Griffin is co-writing with him so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Old December 13 2011, 05:24 AM   #2654
davejames
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Superman and Batman March Solitics.

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multime....php?aid=45114
Wow, that's a pretty badass Superman cover. Too bad they don't have that guy doing the art.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2011, 05:35 AM   #2655
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

The "Batman" cover is pretty snazzy as well. Greg Capullo has been stellar so far.