Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 26 2011, 01:46 AM   #2401
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

^ Why is it you keep on making the point of Dick being twelve when you mention that particular book? That's about the age he is when Bruce adopts him, if not younger in most incarnations.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 01:49 AM   #2402
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Because the book felt the need to point out his age every time they used his name.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 01:50 AM   #2403
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Well that's just Miller trying to make a point.

Old November 26 2011, 01:55 AM   #2404
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

A point he made every. Single. Time. Dick Grayson was mentioned or referenced. He's always called Dick Grayson Age Twelve, as if it's part of his name. Thus it is.

Okay, maybe not every time. There might be a time or two when it's not used, but for the most part he's called Dick Grayson Age Twelve.
Old November 26 2011, 02:00 AM   #2405
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Didn't say it wasn't annoying but he was repetitive on purpose or so I'm assuming making it a point that Dick was twelve. As in the fact Batman was training a twelve year old kid to be his sidekick. I'm assuming that the point Miller was making that he was against kid sidekicks or something.

It is surprising that All Star Superman didn't impress you as much as much as others. I've often cited it as my all time favourite Superman stories. I have both hard covers and will be getting the Absolute Edition after Christmas. It is also probably my favourite example of Frank Quietly's art work which admittedly isn't for everyone.

Old November 26 2011, 02:50 AM   #2406
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The art in it is good (though I don't like the computer-aided coloring.) And the story in it is good but occasionally it delves into stuff that, well, I find a little too silly and don't like about some aspects of the comic history with Superman, mostly the Golden Age stuff. Like Jimmy Olsen having the Superman watch, getting to run the space station for a day (with an infinite budget) and becoming Doomsday.

The final issues for Volume One (Clark with Luthor in the prison (though it seems the prison is pretty lax in how they treat their death-row super villain inmates, and Clark's oafishness seemed too much) and the "flashback" to Jonathon Kent's death).

On the whole it's a good book and I'll read Volume 2 tonight but there's a dew elements that I didn't greatly care for, but the good far outweighs the bad.

Didn't say it wasn't annoying but he was repetitive on purpose or so I'm assuming making it a point that Dick was twelve. As in the fact Batman was training a twelve year old kid to be his sidekick. I'm assuming that the point Miller was making that he was against kid sidekicks or something.
Considering the whole book is pretty much Miller talking about how great Batman is, I sort of doubt he was trying to make Batman look bad. Though Batman comes across as bad in that book with everything he does in his "crimefighting" and to Robin. But if Miller was trying to "make a point" he did it poorly. You don't make a point by repeating the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.... Show that Robin isn't old enough to handle it.

Instead, nope, they made "Dick Grayson Age Twelve" the kid's name.
Old November 26 2011, 05:15 AM   #2407
JD
Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post

It is surprising that All Star Superman didn't impress you as much as much as others. I've often cited it as my all time favourite Superman stories. I have both hard covers and will be getting the Absolute Edition after Christmas. It is also probably my favourite example of Frank Quietly's art work which admittedly isn't for everyone.
I actually just picked up the A-SS (o...k, maybe not the best way to write that) movie for $1.96 at Wal-Mart today, and after watching it today I'm thinking that that might be my next purchase. I really like the movie, and I'm very interested to see what the original comic story is like.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 05:19 AM   #2408
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

It is Morrison at his best! I really can't say enough good things about All Star Superman (yes I've used that term before as well lol). Also All Star Batman and Robin kind of sets the stage for The Dark Knight Strikes Again and why Dick is the way he is in that Rao awful book.

Something I just thought about with regards to Tim Drake. I dropped Teen Titans (which I guess is the only book Tim is in outside of Batman, Inc when it returns next year) because mostly I thought it was boring and it wasn't gripping me. Does anyone think Tim is still with Tam Fox? Or would one assume that relationship is a fatality due to the relaunch? I ask because I was a fan of the Red Robin ongoing and I liked Tim and Tam's relationship.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; November 26 2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old November 26 2011, 05:18 PM   #2409
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I picked up The Flash #2 and #3, pretty good, actually and I think "better shows" the Flash's abilities with his powers.
Old November 26 2011, 05:38 PM   #2410
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Read Justice League Dark #3 last night and this "coming together" arc is much more interesting than it's older brother.
It looks like next issue is going to be where they finally get all the players together as a 'team'. It's the first book I've seen where a character, Mindwarp, is seen as reading comic books that are in fact about another character in the very book. That being Deadman. Mindwarp is another character I know next to nothing of, like Shade the Changing Man so I look forward to finding out more.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 05:53 PM   #2411
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Shade was on the cover of the other book in Mindwarp's collection - I'm still thinking this is pure in-joke, but with characters like Shade and Mindwarp and that purple still said to be on her way back? Who knows.
Old November 26 2011, 08:07 PM   #2412
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

As the article I posted about revealed the comics they were reading were Flashpoint tie-ins

Here's an interesting article regarding the next wave of 52. If there are actually going to be.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...the-next-wave/

Old November 26 2011, 10:21 PM   #2413
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Ok, relative comic book newb here. I've been picking up some titles of the the DC New 52 over the past few weeks, and while I've skimmed the thread, it's tl;dr.
I do like Justice League, Batman The Dark Knight, Nightwing, and Green Lantern Corps.
I didn't care for Green Lantern (Sinestro being reinstated as a Lantern?), Captain Atom, and Batman and Robin.
Jury is out on Green Arrow. He's really different from the Oliver Queen that I grew up with, but it's kind of interesting.
Old November 26 2011, 10:24 PM   #2414
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

To me New 52 Oliver is reminiscent of Justin Hartley's Smallville version.

Old November 27 2011, 03:50 AM   #2415
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I decided to try out the new Batman & Robin book and bought the first three issues. I haven't read a Batman series regularly in fifteen years. B&R just might change that. I love the concept of Batman starting to put his parent issues behind him in order to be a better father to his own son. I can relate. Good book.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote