Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 23 2011, 09:20 PM   #2371
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

The Dark Knight:

There's pretty much nothing at all to like about this title. The art, the story, the dialogue, nothing. This just might be one I'll drop now rather than waiting till the end of the first story line. It's just overall an unappealing comic.

Superman:

Still the best of Superman's two titles as far as I'm concerned, but the books are becoming a little one-note with Superman pretty much taking on the Ultra-Natural Baddie Of The Week. (UNBOTW) The book suggests there something bigger going on beneath it all but it's not placing any bets yet. The river has turned, comic. Time to show us your hand.

Aquaman:

Another good issue, good art and good story. I like how this one is going and may call myself something of an Aquaman fan.

Out of the Long Box:

Ultimate Spider-man #66 and #67

Oy, vey!
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2011, 09:40 PM   #2372
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

No way Superman is the best of the two books. It's one of the worst of the New 52 in my opinion with some interesting new developments. I'm surprised you have stuck with The Dark Knight this long Trekker...I dropped it after issue two of the dread full first volume lol.

Aquaman #3: This is a great book so far. I think we're also getting snippets of what Geoff Johns was going to do with the previously promised "Aquaman: Secret Origin" book with the flash backs to Arthur's youth. You really do get the sense that Johns is enjoying writing Arthur and especially Mera. The art is fantastic.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; November 23 2011 at 10:28 PM.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2011, 11:25 PM   #2373
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Is anyone reading Firestorm? It's not a character I've really ever followed, but I want to read some Simone, and that's probably not going to be Batgirl. Is this multiple Firestorms thing going to be anything more than another "let's have thousands of Lanterns in Rainbow Colors"?
Old November 23 2011, 11:30 PM   #2374
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I dunno, Superman is doing more for me and showing me what I want to see. AC is good too, I'm just not greatly interested in Supes' early days or how they're being portrayed.

TDK I may stick with till the end of this first arc, but I dunno. Everything about this book is just grim.

Last edited by Trekker4747; November 24 2011 at 02:22 AM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2011, 11:33 PM   #2375
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Yeah that's the tone Finch was wanting to the book and why he used the title of Dark Knight. It's too bad he sucked as a writer, although i think Paul Jenkins is writing the book now with Finch just doing the art.

Supeman #3: The writing on this book is just so bad!!! The story is actually quite interesting, I liked the flashback sequence, that just made me more excited for when Morrison catches up to the present! The lame reveal at the end of the issue was pretty predictable. The art was decent, but nothing spectacular. I'm starting to warm up to the new costume. I can't stand the boots or the high collar though.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; November 23 2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old November 24 2011, 12:24 AM   #2376
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Due to sitting in a Hospital waiting room I got some reading done.

All Star Western #3 - really loving this opening arc in Gotham way more than I thought when it was announced. I also like the fact that Jonah comments on the fact he's hung around longer than normal. With only one exception his entire last run were all single issue stories. Something that made them unique and appealing on the shelf.
El Diablo backup - is this character before or after Kirby's Demon? Seems the concept is essentially the same. A supernatural force sharing the body of mortal. Anyway the story has been decent just been wondering this.

I,Vampire #3 - Ok, I called them out for needing to impress me and this issue did it. I'm now looking forward to the seemingly climatic showdown between Mary & Andrew in Gotham.

Also Alpha Flight #3 but that's for another thread.

I still have Aquaman #3 and Justice League Dark #3 to read. Good to see positive word on Aquaman's newest already.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2011, 12:36 AM   #2377
Derishton
Vice Admiral

My question about the El Diablo back-up is why Black River looked so much like the Spectre, and was talking about vengeance for every tribe destroyed by the arrival of Europeans in the New World. It was cool, but unexpected.
Old November 24 2011, 05:23 AM   #2378
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

@Trekker...TMNT#4 is indeed coming out next week.

Old November 24 2011, 05:45 AM   #2379
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

I,Vampire and Justice League Dark are both great books so far out the new 52.
all so adding the green lantern titles and legion titles.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2011, 05:48 AM   #2380
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

The Legion titles unfortunately suck in my opinion. I've lost all interest with what Levitz has been doing in the main book and dropped Legion Lost after the first issue. Enjoyed Legion: Secret Origin (which I don't count as being part of the New 52).

Old November 24 2011, 07:05 AM   #2381
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

legion to me is one of those titles where I can set through anything. just a huge fan of the legion.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2011, 07:19 AM   #2382
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I'm a huge fan as well, but the two main books out now suck. Levitz is incredibly irritating as a writer with unfocused story arcs and all kinds of stuff going on. I'm sure he wasn't this way when he was writing the Legion back in his heyday but his recent stuff has been somewhat erratic.

Old November 24 2011, 07:38 AM   #2383
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Derishton wrote: View Post
Is anyone reading Firestorm? It's not a character I've really ever followed, but I want to read some Simone, and that's probably not going to be Batgirl. Is this multiple Firestorms thing going to be anything more than another "let's have thousands of Lanterns in Rainbow Colors"?
It's pretty horrible since it's co-written by Van Sciver and Simone apparently walked and quit sometime after #6.

You are better off reading back issues of BoP or Secret Six because her recent stuff has been terrible.
Old November 24 2011, 11:02 AM   #2384
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Superman is a very poor comic, completely out of date - particularly jarring is how Perez has the characters providing narration for things we can clearly see on the page, a style that was considered old hand in 1982.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2011, 03:05 PM   #2385
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Derishton wrote: View Post
It's pretty horrible since it's co-written by Van Sciver and Simone apparently walked and quit sometime after #6.

You are better off reading back issues of BoP or Secret Six because her recent stuff has been terrible.
I am a Firestorm fan, as much as anyone can be, I guess, but the new book isn't doing it for me. I haven't read #3 yet and due to my love of the character, I don't think I'll drop it, but man, it better start to impress. I loved the previous series, at least the Stuart Moore issues. He really did a great job with the story and developing Jason's characterization.

As far as Simone goes, she's rather hit or miss for me. I was not big on her run on Action Comics, but Villains United/Secret Six was amazing. I tried the Birds of Prey series that came out last year and was rather bored.

I think when Simone is writing characters who are depraved and she can go full tilt with that, she's great, but when she is writing "good" characters, she struggles.

Unfortunately, Firestorm fits into the latter category.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
The Legion titles unfortunately suck in my opinion. I've lost all interest with what Levitz has been doing in the main book and dropped Legion Lost after the first issue. Enjoyed Legion: Secret Origin (which I don't count as being part of the New 52).
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I'm a huge fan as well, but the two main books out now suck. Levitz is incredibly irritating as a writer with unfocused story arcs and all kinds of stuff going on. I'm sure he wasn't this way when he was writing the Legion back in his heyday but his recent stuff has been somewhat erratic.
I feel the same way. I started with Legion during the "Five Years Later" storyline, which was probably the title at its most inaccessible. I really, really loved the post-Zero Hour team and when Waid and Kitson were on the "Three-boot" book. Johns seemed to have some interesting ideas post "Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes"/Legion of Three Worlds, but Levitz went in different directions.

I stuck with the previous title the whole way through, but wasn't that interested by it. I really should have dropped it earlier, but for some reason, hung on. I tried the first issue of the current series and that was enough for me to drop it. Legion Lost was just plain horrible and the less said about it, the better.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote